Getting From Bangkok Airport To Hua Lamphong

mercabz

I'm coming to Bangkok on 10th. February,2013, I have to attend a wedding up north, my plane lands at 19.20 at Swampy and my train from Hua Lamphong railway station leaves at 22.00, as it will probably take me the best part of one hour to clear Immigration and Customs and collect my baggage, what would be the quickest transport to take, to get over to Hua Lamphong, to catch my train, if it is possible to get across town in the time I have.The next train is 7am next morning and the first flight from DMK to Phisanalok is 10.15am, so I don't really want to spend the night in BKK

Thank you to all replies.

The fastest (and cheapest) way for you is to take the Airport Link train (CITY LINE only, NOT Express Line!) right from Suvannabhumi (the terminal is in the basement; follow the signage). Disembark at Makkasan station, then walk to Petchaburi MRT (subway) station (5 minutes) and take the Hualamphong line. The line terminates right underneath Hualamphong railway station. The entire journey will take you approximately 50 minutes.

Having said that, it's not recommended if you have a lot of luggage, as you'll need to shlep it around a lot.

Easier (and more expensive option) is to take a taxi straight away. tell the driver you need to go to Hualamphong and that he shall take the expressway. You'll be responsible for expressway fees (approx. 100 Baht, because you'll encounter several toll booths along the way) plus the metered fare plus a 50 Baht surcharge.

Not sure what day 10 Feb is, but you wrote you'll emerge from the airport around 8.20 p.m., so the different expressway stages should be fairly clear by then. But after leaving the expressway, your taxi will have to negotiate a fair stretch of inner city roads before reaching Hualamphong. But you have plenty of time and should be able to comfortably make it.

Hope that helps.

• Like 1

You could also take a taxi to the railway station at Bang Sue as your train (#51 Express) will stop there ~ 45 min. after departure from Hua Lumphong.

Trains are usually late leaving Hua Lumphong, they have to tear parts off another late arriving train to repair yours, and while you cannot always count on this, it may give you a cushion.

Feb. 10 is a Sunday so traffic should not be an issue as you will be on motorway/tollways to either Hua Lumphong or Bang Sue - I would take a taxi all the way unless you are familiar with the Makassan shuffle. SARL Express (on Sundays) trains run every 40 min to Makassan so you may have an issue there, so 8:35 PM or 9:15 PM trains? City Line trains run every 20 minutes.

Will you have already purchased a train ticket? Sunday evening departures can be popular.

Edited by lomatopo

• 2 weeks later...

Seems to me your cutting things a little too close for the wedding. Maybe you really don't want to be there ?

First you assume your plane is on time.

Second you assume you will just wiz through immigration. You might be lucky and only 1 line is open.

Third you assume your bags all will be there.

Forth you assume transportation is available and the roads are clear, no delays or construction

Fifth you assume the train is working and on time and won't breakdown

I would suggest from 13 years in Thailand your assuming too much and realistically there is too much room for some kind of delay along the way. DO have a plan "B" and plan "C" ready just in case, the odds are against you

Also if I might suggest, buy a lottery ticket before you leave home, you just might get lucky

Seems to me your cutting things a little too close for the wedding. Maybe you really don't want to be there ?

First you assume your plane is on time.

Second you assume you will just wiz through immigration. You might be lucky and only 1 line is open.

Third you assume your bags all will be there.

Forth you assume transportation is available and the roads are clear, no delays or construction

Fifth you assume the train is working and on time and won't breakdown

I would suggest from 13 years in Thailand your assuming too much and realistically there is too much room for some kind of delay along the way. DO have a plan "B" and plan "C" ready just in case, the odds are against you

Also if I might suggest, buy a lottery ticket before you leave home, you just might get lucky

Isn't that all very positive. I think I would stay at home if I thought like that.

You could also take a taxi to the railway station at Bang Sue as your train (#51 Express) will stop there ~ 45 min. after departure from Hua Lumphong.

Trains are usually late leaving Hua Lumphong, they have to tear parts off another late arriving train to repair yours, and while you cannot always count on this, it may give you a cushion.

Feb. 10 is a Sunday so traffic should not be an issue as you will be on motorway/tollways to either Hua Lumphong or Bang Sue - I would take a taxi all the way unless you are familiar with the Makassan shuffle. SARL Express (on Sundays) trains run every 40 min to Makassan so you may have an issue there, so 8:35 PM or 9:15 PM trains? City Line trains run every 20 minutes.

Will you have already purchased a train ticket? Sunday evening departures can be popular.

lomo gives you good advice. However, the on thing to take into account for the 10th is that it is Chinese New Year. That has some advantages and disadvantages.

More travelers but you should be right with arrivals on Sunday early evening and the train trip. The most important way to save time clearing immigration is to check the other immigration zone should the closest one be full of arriving pax.- one always has less pax than the other.

If you have light luggage take the ARL to Makkasan and then interchange with the MRT (allows 10 mins walk max) to go to Bang Sue station to catch your CM train. An alternate is to still take the ARL (Cityline is fine, 25mins) and then taxi from Makkasan to either Bang Sue or Don Muang.

Your 3rd alternative is to taxi to Don Muang (30 mins expressway but note tolls of 130 baht on taxi fare) or take the free shuttle bus to DMK if you need to save money & time permits - most people report trip times of 45mins 1 hr max.

• 4 weeks later...