For The Android Rom Update Gurus - Zte Blade

freedomnow

Hi, I have had a UK Orange San Francisco running for a while with v 4.0.1.5 Clockwork Mods pre-installed by previous owner ....going from Android 2.2 up to ICS or JB was easy using the Konstakang free ROM latest builds.........Everything "A OK" on it basically.

However, I have a second ZTE Blade v880 which I just bought and after installing clockwork mod 5.0.2.0 from play store........I cannot access the same recovery menu as my old SF.

When I boot in there are less options on the Clockwork boot menu basically. "No install ROM from Zip"

and it has 2 error messages

E : Missing bitmap icon_firmware_install (code -1 )

E : Missing bitmap icon_firmware_error (code -1 )

Both devices are rooted. I know they are essentially the same, but I cannot seem to wipe and then install ICS or JB off the SD-card which is fat32.

Please help ! I've tried everything within my ability before posting on this error !!

If I can just solve the clockwork mod 5.0.2.0 error I guess I can install from there as I know the precedure.

I just bought and after installing clockwork mod 5.0.2.0 from play store.

I assume, you didn't buy the clockworkmod (CWM), but the Rom-Manager.

The CWM itself is freeware, but you can't install it like an app.

For the CWM to work, you need to replace/modify the "recovery.img" partition of your device.

This is device specific.

Some need to be flashed via USB, sometimes it works via ADB.

start here XDA-Developers

Edited by roban

Sorry for not getting back...ahah..."clockworkmod (CWM), but the Rom-Manager." Yes that was right. I thought they were the same thing.

Android though excellent for openess, does not come close to iOS for ease of updating. I have to do some terminal stuff on Mac I think, to manually install the CWM.

Will give it a go. Thanks for all feedback on debugging this everyone.

Thanks everyone, I managed to get ICS on the phone with the tips above and the awful 2.2 off it for good. Like DAY-and-NIGHT !

Last thing is my factory partition sizes remain and as it is an Asian 256MB Blade it is almost out of space - 30MB on the the phone (after about 10 app downloads of apps that cannot be app2SD.)

I found a thread for Euro blade partition resizing, but it says it will not work on Gen 2 Asian ones. bah.gif .

Someone else said using the wrong blade TPT with Asian model will brick it....and I have never done TPT Before.

Wish there was a google play GUI app for this partition monkey business..........

I really need to recover about 100MB from system and cache to make it usable................almost there !

Right side number after "/" is old partition scheme

partitioninfo.png

Edited by freedomnow