Following The 1230 Highway To Super Highway 11

moe666

Yesterday left my apartment around 0930 headed for San Kampheang and a neww adventure. Went out of town on Charoen Muang Road looking for Mae On, I justed followed the signs onto the 1317. You will come to a Ywe in the road you will have a choice of two roads to Mae On I took the road to the right and soon passed the hospital look for the 1229 road which will take you thru the national park. The road is a good climb up and then a nice downhill section back to the flatlands. This road is a bit ruff but nothing that my PCX150 couldn't handle. Some very nice views as I climbed to the top of the mountain and 10 degrees cooler. The towns to look for are Wak and Ban Mai. I just kept bearing right and kept the sun in my face and too my left as this kept me going south and east.

After coming down the mountain you continue on a flat road for a bit, sorry no kilometer mileage kept, you will come to Ban Mai. There will be a 3 way intersection with the 1230 going north and the 2031 south double checked the map it says 1230 south but sign say different o well no proble south is to the right opened up the throttle and visited Thailand 50 years ago except for the few cars, trucks and waves. This is a lovely road to travel, beautiful Wats, old teak homes and rice paddies. The villages along this route are very clean and well cared for. The farmer were out tending their fields and the dogs were lazing on the roads in the shade.

The rice paddies tend to be on the left side of the road as the villages back up to the hills on the right. There are several golf resorts out this way as well and the entrace to another national park. You can also take this ride in a car making it a drive. The road overall is in very good shape with a few potholes. The 1229 thru the national park starting the ride is the worst section of highway. You will come out on the 11 and will need to go about a kilometer to lampang for the first u-turn then it is about 30k into lamphun for lunch and then a quick ride up the 6 to Chiang Mai

• Like 1

Thank you for the report, Moe. I will try it out. After my excursion down to Kanchanaburi I'm feeling a little more confident on the main highways. I'll remember to bring a map book in case I get lost. If I am unsure of an area I like to use Google Earth BEFORE I take a trip and make my own, hand drawn map with the GPS co-ordinates. I didn't do that for when I went through Suphan Buri and I got off track a few times. It is a confusing village where the roads and main highways don't connect up and you can wind up going in the wrong direction unless you know what to look for..

Thank you for the report, Moe. I will try it out. After my excursion down to Kanchanaburi I'm feeling a little more confident on the main highways. I'll remember to bring a map book in case I get lost. If I am unsure of an area I like to use Google Earth BEFORE I take a trip and make my own, hand drawn map with the GPS co-ordinates. I didn't do that for when I went through Suphan Buri and I got off track a few times. It is a confusing village where the roads and main highways don't connect up and you can wind up going in the wrong direction unless you know what to look for..

Getting lost is often the best part of the trip.

Getting lost is often the best part of the trip.

That is true of life in general. When my 10 year marriage ended with a guy I was once madly in love with I felt my world had ended. But, I now realize how lucky and free I am. Surviving an adventure is always refreshing.

Just back from a Nan loop. Secondary and minor back roads. No traffic and wonderful roads. SO nice to get of the main roads to the roads less traveled. Quiet, relaxing, and a Thailand not seen in big cities anymore

I've seen pictures and heard stories of the Nan area. That is one area I want to explore.