Amount Of Farang In Cm

damo

At a guess, immigration do 8000 - 10000 extensions a year, based on between 30 and 40 a working day.

Of the foreigners I know staying more than 6 months a year, 75% extend at immigration annually. My guess would be 12-15,000. Many more short term starters each year.

I live here year round. I don't visit immigration. I doubt I'm the only one.

You are most certainly not. I know of two others who are here without current Visa's, one doesn't have a Passport either. Not my business so good luck to you all.

Some of us don't legally need to visit immigration on the type of visa we have

Fair comment; but as I said, none of my business.

At a guess, immigration do 8000 - 10000 extensions a year, based on between 30 and 40 a working day.

Of the foreigners I know staying more than 6 months a year, 75% extend at immigration annually. My guess would be 12-15,000. Many more short term starters each year.

You are most certainly not. I know of two others who are here without current Visa's, one doesn't have a Passport either. Not my business so good luck to you all.

But the Immigration is not far away, compared to visit a neighbouring country.

• Like 1

No you would be one of the untraceable ones here. No way what so ever to tell how many illegals are here.

As for legal I took 230 working days and figured that they see 40 a day. It works out to 9,200 On retirement visas. I based this on the fact that the last two times I was in there they show the number of clients they are serving on the boards that tell you which counter to go to. I believe retirement extension is desk's 5 and 6 They have shown in the high thirties both times and I left at the latest 2:30 add the ten a day on appointments and you would get closer to 50 Still that is only 11,500.

Plus the number of marriage and work permit also the ones who hop across the border every 15 or 30 days and the student ones you would have to be looking at about 30,000 legal ones.

Plus how many illegal ones.

The statement "never go to Immigration" may not be quite correct. When entering Thailand people visit Immigration at a checkpoint, whether it be a border crossing or an airport.

THEN there are the ones illegal. I suspect there are relatively few.

MSPain

Edited by hml367

The statement "never go to Immigration" may not be quite correct. When entering Thailand people visit Immigration at a checkpoint, whether it be a border crossing or an airport.

I think relatively few compared to the overall number, plus they're probably more likely to be reclusive and not go out much or spend much, but overal there could be quite a few of them.

30-40 a day for retirees and 30-40 marriage extensions (those who fit the former may have this instead). There's also a shed load on business visas, multis and tourist visas (from outside Thailand), ed visas, border bouncers, and those on residencies and 'citizens' (very few).

I think you'll find the number is around 40-50,000.

And what type would that be?

I think relatively few compared to the overall number, plus they're probably more likely to be reclusive and not go out much or spend much, but overal there could be quite a few of them.

We can't really say how many there are but there are a good few tucked away out in the Boonies, and the further out the better they like it.

We can't really say how many there are but there are a good few tucked away out in the Boonies, and the further out the better they like it.

The better I like that, too.

It took me 25 years to escape Farangland, now it appears Farangland has followed me here.

How many farangs now living in Chiang Mai? Too many.

Hope they raise the visa extension money requirements by about 400% and cut down the numbers.

Too many farangs indeed.

Not because of our numbers - great as they are and growing by the year - but because of the way so many of us behave.

When it comes to being obnoxious it would be hard to surpass The Bangkok Thai who have been actively plaguing the Kohn Muang since the 1880's and on sporadic military incursions even before that.

But at least they're Thai and have some claim to belonging here.

Farangs have settled down in Chiang Mai with all the hubris that characterized their ancestors who colonized Southeast Asia with the sole exception of Siam.

Thailand is a beautiful country.

Come for a visit. You're more than welcome.

Enjoy the beaches. Trek in the mountains. Have a good time.

Then go home.

Don't stay here if you can't or won't assimilate to one degree or another.

Living here in cultural isolation without family relations that have stood the test of time; without speaking the language; without any real interest in the country and people or their history and traditions can only lead to mercenary relationships based on self-interest that will sour and become contentious sooner or later.

Realize that home-truth and don't deceive yourself otherwise.

Thailand has a long history of dealing with foreigners who settled down here in enclaves and proceeded to live life as they pleased with no regard for their hosts.

Everything from the massacres of Europeans following the death of King Narai in the late 17th century to the targeted military strikes against the Jeen Haw in the 1980's attest to the fact that Thai hospitality has it's limits.

Edited by CMHomeboy78

It took me 25 years to escape Farangland, now it appears Farangland has followed me here.

Hope they raise the visa extension money requirements by about 400% and cut down the numbers.

Too many farangs indeed.

Not because of our numbers - great as they are and growing by the year = but because of the way so many of us behave.

When it comes to being obnoxious it would be hard to surpass The Bangkok Thai who have been actively plaguing the Kohn Muang since the 1880's and on sporadic military incursions even before that.

But at least they're Thai and have some claim to belonging here.

Farangs have settled down in Chiang Mai with all the hubris that characterized their ancestors who colonized Southeast Asia with the sole exception of Siam.

Thailand is a beautiful country.

Come for a visit. You're more than welcome.

Enjoy the beaches. Trek in the mountains. Have a good time.

Then go home.

Don't stay here if you can't or won't assimilate to one degree or another.

Living here in cultural isolation without family relations that have stood the test of time; without speaking the language; without any real interest in the country and people or their history and traditions can only lead to mercenary relationships based on self-interest that will sour and become contentious sooner or later.

Realize that home-truth and don't deceive yourself otherwise.

Thailand has a long history of dealing with foreigners who settled down here in enclaves and proceeded to live life as they pleased with no regard for their hosts.

Everything from the massacres of Europeans following the death of King Narai in the late 17th century to the targeted military strikes against the Jeen Haw in the 1980's attest to the fact that Thai hospitality has it's limits.

Very true on all counts but I would add that Thailand is not unique in this attitude.

Interesting that you mention assimilation when in the West generally the view being promoted is multiculturalism. Whether that is successful or not is for a much bigger/longer thread.

If one does "assimilate", learn the language, eat the food, live as a "Thai" (whatever that is), fully embrace Buddhism and corruption, take on all the good and all the bad that is Thailand I am still convinced that from meeting a new Thai today to your deathbed (hopefully many years from now) you will still be the "Farang". A reverse cultural imperialism if you will.

There are people I have met here that are married to Thais for 10 years plus, still non existent to limited language skills. Even then I see couples where the husband is proficient, the wife at market will advise that "the Farang wants...", not Bert wants, or my husband wants, but "the Farang wants". Individual change does not always equal widespread acceptance or even limited acceptance.

In the end personally I am not worried about widespread acceptance. I could not please everyone in the West, I am unlikely to do so here. People judge each other everywhere (fashion, jewelry, hair cut, weight) and to my mind Thailand is no different.

The Farangs that live here I have limited contact with and no real problems with. I think that Thais likewise have no problems with the great majority of long termers.

I do get peeved that many tourist think that magically some standards of behaviour do not apply in Thailand that do apply and are generally adopted in their own country. Public drinking, staggering home drunk in the middle of the road, public urination near a Wat, loud and/or vulgar language, riding a motor bike with no license (or clue), etc etc etc..... This is all done by the Tourist Farang every day, and in the end this is the behaviour that reflects widely on Farang's here (imho) and as the prevailing and constantly refreshed model will unfortunately counter the best efforts of any assimilation.

Its a double edge sword. Nice for long term expats if no more tourists (and thereore potential long term expats), not good for Tourism and parts of Thai economy (and all of Issan).

Edited by mamborobert
  • Like 1

I do get peeved that many tourist think that magically some standards of behaviour do not apply in Thailand that do apply and are generally adopted in their own country. Public drinking, staggering home drunk in the middle of the road, public urination near a Wat, loud and/or vulgar language, riding a motor bike with no license (or clue), etc etc etc.....

Well, yes, and I agree, but there are so many temples all over the place that engaging in <insert bad activity here> near a temple shouldn't be an aggravating circumstance. ;)

And then, as if no Thai ever misbehaves near (or even in) a temple. :rolleyes:

I asked the U.S consulate last year and was told that in Chiang Mai province alone there are around 25,000 "American" who have registered with the Chiang Mai consulate. However, it is difficult to say how many have moved elsewhere since they registered.Immigration probably knows.

How many Farang would you estimate to live permanently in Chiang Mai?

No numbers, but too many.

So if you two went home, the problem would be 2 less problem farangs ?!?!?

• Like 1

How many Farang would you estimate to live permanently in Chiang Mai?

No numbers, but too many.

So if you two went home, the problem would be 2 less problem farangs ?!?!?

bit cheeky for a new boy,you never no they might have a point.

We have a Hi-So farang amongst us eh. bah.gif
  • Like 1

We have a Hi-So farang amongst us eh. bah.gif

Never mind, wherever he goes he will always have himself.

Like the dog with fleas that keeps moving to a new spot to avoid what it already on him.