Anyone Know A Good Place To Live?

I am moving to Samui and looking for advice from anyone on a good place to live. I am moving there with my wife and my daughter, who is 3 years old. We have friends in Lamai, and wouldn't mind living south of Lamai somewhere, but we are thinking somewhere between Bophut and Nathon (North and North West) would be better. Basically, we are looking for:

- 2 bedroom place

- safe and secure feeling (funny, before I had my daughter I would have NEVER lived in a 'gated community' but now that is what I want

- clean and nice landscaping, maybe a communal pool type-thing

- air con

- budget of 40,000 a month maximum

- internet comnnection would be nice

- furnished

- good for families

Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated. When I was in Samui last, stayed at Samui Garden Home (not sure if anyone knows that place) and that is just what we are looking for, but with 2-bedroom places (they only have 1-bedroom places).

Thanks.

I am moving to Samui and looking for advice from anyone on a good place to live. I am moving there with my wife and my daughter, who is 3 years old. We have friends in Lamai, and wouldn't mind living south of Lamai somewhere, but we are thinking somewhere between Bophut and Nathon (North and North West) would be better. Basically, we are looking for:

- 2 bedroom place

- safe and secure feeling (funny, before I had my daughter I would have NEVER lived in a 'gated community' but now that is what I want

- air con

- furnished

- good for families

Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated. When I was in Samui last, stayed at Samui Garden Home (not sure if anyone knows that place) and that is just what we are looking for, but with 2-bedroom places (they only have 1-bedroom places).

Thanks.

Ok i used to live in Samui and where i stayed i thought was the best part i mean away from all the girlie Bars, nightlife and S**t that goes with Samui. I stayed in Maenam and i loved it, there is a good head of ex pats like yourself who have kids and it is only about 10 mins from Chawend and Maybe 15-20 from Lamai. The beaches are very quiet maybe the sand is not as nice as Chaweng and LAmai a bit bigger grains but still very nice and peaceful.

If you want to speak to someone who can really help you about renting or buying go to see (Get) at Maenan New Star Fresh minimart say you are a friend of Mikes from Trang and they will sort you out with what ever help you need. They are Samuian People si they have endless connectioins all over the Island and will not rip you off.

Enjoy your time in LOS

Mike

- 2 bedroom place

- air con

- furnished

- good for families

Thanks.

i haved in samui for three years now and have rented a two bed place about two miles outside nathon heading towards bophut way, just about to move to phangan, the place is called baan bang makham, its lovely has large pool is very safe or at least feels it and i think he currently rents for 30,000 a month, lovely place but maybe a bit far out for you, let me know if you need any more details

There are a few places, New Star Villa with is a mini resort with 8 bungalows and a swimming pool in nice gardens they are rented by ex pats but if you speak to the people at New Star Fresh Mart in Maenam as i said they will help you - (Get) is her name speaks good english and is very honest.

where in bang makham?

is it in a small 'community' of houses, or is it all on its own?

may be interested...

as for maenam, thanks for the tip. i do like maenam and am considering it too. do you know any place in particular?

thanks

we are located close to the samsara sign, it has six houses on about 25 rai with a big pool that hardly anyone uses, the guy who owns the place is a lovely guy and staff always helpful. i have a young child also and love the place, one of the houses is brand new and i think ready soon and i know they have no plans to build anymore, even after i move im keeping this place on for another year coz its so comfortable. the only thing some people say is that its to far out from chewang, not far enough for me, but seriously takes 30 to 45 depending on how many thai learners in front of you

- 2 bedroom place

- air con

- furnished

- good for families

Thanks.

Hi ya guys....

you don't mention how long you would like to rent for but the following places are excellent and I have had freinds of mine stay with their families and have had no complaints.

I am sure they would do a good deal for a long stay , they are very freindly and the villas are spotless!

look up www.samuiescapes.com .

if its what you are looking for then dont forget to mention POMPEYNICK to them!!

once you are here pop in for a beer , we are a family freindly "pub" in chaweng

www.thepfc.com

good luck! Pompeynick

Time for some realistic answer.

- 2 bedroom place

Hard to get for a decent price. Most are 1 bedroom and simple. If you have money enough 30.000 up per month it is no problem.

Mmm. Tough one. I hope you can live with your neighbours. Again the more you pay the more change you have to live amongst good people mxed with criminals.

In the lower budget, you will be amongst loud always drunken people with their short time girlfriends. If you go to an all thai area, your changes are higher to find something decent.

Very few exists. If thai than almost non existing. Again prepare to pay the price!

- air con

No problem. Many have it.

With the above wishes, The minimum.

If it is not already installed which is almost always, prepare to wait a long time.

- furnished

No problem. Again price will make a huge difference.

- good for families

It is ok. But i would certainly not call it good.

THE MOST IMPORTANT YOU DID NOT MENTION IS: SCHOOLS!!!

For that there is nothing worth looking at in Samui. This should be your main concern. I mean you don't want your daughter to suffer later without a useful education right?

I had the same plan as you.

Could not find anything worthwhile, and i did look everywhere on the island.

Personally i can live anywhere, when a fimily and children come into the picture, everything changes.

If you are single without worries for family. Samui is one great party place. That is why there are so many people drunk 24 hours a day. If you value other things, clean surroundings, level headed people, feeling safe, nice accomodations, etc,etc... you want to run away quick.

So don't do something permanent until you have experienced it for yourself for at least 6-12 months.

The area around Meanam is i agree think the best. It is a bit more 'upscale' and comes closest to what you are looking for.

Edited by Khun Jean

- 2 bedroom place

Hard to get for a decent price. Most are 1 bedroom and simple. If you have money enough 30.000 up per month it is no problem.

Mmm. Tough one. I hope you can live with your neighbours. Again the more you pay the more change you have to live amongst good people mxed with criminals.

In the lower budget, you will be amongst loud always drunken people with their short time girlfriends. If you go to an all thai area, your changes are higher to find something decent.

Very few exists. If thai than almost non existing. Again prepare to pay the price!

- air con

If it is not already installed which is almost always, prepare to wait a long time.

- furnished

- good for families

For that there is nothing worth looking at in Samui. This should be your main concern. I mean you don't want your daughter to suffer later without a useful education right?

Personally i can live anywhere, when a fimily and children come into the picture, everything changes.

If you are single without worries for family. Samui is one great party place. That is why there are so many people drunk 24 hours a day. If you value other things, clean surroundings, level headed people, feeling safe, nice accomodations, etc,etc... you want to run away quick.

So don't do something permanent until you have experienced it for yourself for at least 6-12 months.

The area around Meanam is i agree think the best. It is a bit more 'upscale' and comes closest to what you are looking for.

o dear o dear, take no notice if you end up in the wrong place yeah maybe but i would really like to know how many people REALLY are drunk 24 hrs, o rear

- 2 bedroom place

- air con

- furnished

- good for families

i must be pist look at the spellin or i was edyacated er

- 2 bedroom place

- air con

- furnished

- good for families

Khun Jean....do you actually live on Koh Samui?

I ask because you seem very "anti" with many of your replies.

maybe you had a bad experience here but many of us live here very happily and stress free!

hope you are having a good day.....Nick

Nick,

Jean used to live here, but now has the need or urge to shoe everybody away from Samui.

Taxexile is anothr good example.

There's people here who actually enjoy living here, as Pompeynich already pointed out.

Jean has a point though about schools, that's unfortunately hard to get by here, if you want a good and reasonably priced school.

We are thinking of putting our daughter in that new school just north of Nathon a bit.

It is the weird looking one with classroom buildings shaped as boats and stuff.

We went by there just before they opened and it seemed like a really nice place.

And thanks for all the help people. I will follow up on the tips for sure.

If anyone else has any suggestions, keep em coming.

Kuhn Jean

Why are nearly all of your replies so negative? The OP was simply looking for a nice area to live, he has allready researched Samui and is aware of the pro's and con's of Samui life, so why launch into yet another tiresome lecture about Samui drunks and criminals?

Skipdevills;

Try the coco's development out past Ban Plae laem (not sure of the spelling), head upwards Tongsai Bay, follow the signs for Coco's. I think its called 'Cocos tropical gardens.' Huge complex with very nice two floor villas, most of which are 3-6 bedroom i think. All villas are brand new, many come with private pools. The houses are all furnished, to a very high standard. This is a gated community with private security (but the place is so big you hardly feel enclosed), many houses (I would guess upwards of 50), with a private beach and shared pool on the beach. Clubhouse launching soon. There is a fair amount of building work going on, but soon will be finished.

Most of the houses are for sale, but many that have been taken are being rented out. The price 12 months ago was 40K a month. Very nice estate, IMO.

If you head down to coco blues and ask for the office (not far from bar), then ask for Bruce Sutherland he will be able to help you. Worth a look.

i must be pist look at the spellin or i was edyacated er

O rear o rear. Yes you were pissed.

I thought i wrote understandable English. It is not my native language. I do my best.

I was not completely negative in my post.

Lets do a recap.

2 bedroom place

Hard to get for a decent price. Most are 1 bedroom and simple. If you have money enough 30.000 up per month it is no problem

True or not true. Please explain, why this is negative.

Mmm. Tough one. I hope you can live with your neighbours. Again the more you pay the more change you have to live amongst good people mixed with criminals.

Maybe a little harsh. But face it. Any real estate business that puts you up with a guaranteed 30+30+30 year lease for a few to 10's of millions of baht IS a criminal.

In the lower budget, you have the English and Swedes. Combine that with beer and you have a recipe for disaster.

Landlords who keep on charging, for water, electricity, community maintenance sometimes over 10.000 baht a month. Rediculous rates.

Is that observations also totally wrong?

I know a few (3). In the area of Bophut and Meanam. All others look nice in a brochure or on the web, but try visiting them. Most are not taken care of.

- air con

- furnished

- good for families

So what is wrong with this?

First sentence my opinion. Second sentence 'very good advice' i would say. Last sentence my observation and opinion AND recommendation.

Sorry but you guys overreact.

Or am i stepping on long toes?

Look at my signature. Can't help it.

Edited by Khun Jean

• 2 weeks later...

There is a housing complex near the airport called Vichai Pattana Co. Ltd. I know a few people living there (some with families) and that area is fine. Its clean, secure, has a great pool (!), gym room overlooking the pool, sauna, security (owner also lives there). Older houses have 1 and 2 bedrooms and new ones (and I mean NEW !) have 2 or 3 bedrooms and come fully furnished (nice furniture). Additional houses are being build and one guy pays 20,000.- for a 2 bedroom house (I think 1,500 extra for pool) and the new houses go for 25-35.000.- . some have actually seaview and the area is landscaped nicely.

There is a housing complex near the airport called Vichai Pattana Co. Ltd. I know a few people living there (some with families) and that area is fine. Its clean, secure, has a great pool (!), gym room overlooking the pool, sauna, security (owner also lives there). Older houses have 1 and 2 bedrooms and new ones (and I mean NEW !) have 2 or 3 bedrooms and come fully furnished (nice furniture). Additional houses are being build and one guy pays 20,000.- for a 2 bedroom house (I think 1,500 extra for pool) and the new houses go for 25-35.000.- . some have actually seaview and the area is landscaped nicely.

Any website available?

LaoPo

Any website available?

LaoPo

Sorry, no website yet I believe.

• 2 weeks later...

Just spent 2 days looking at places around Mae Nam. Found a few 2 bedroom places, some with pool, of decent size for 15000. All new, decent furnishings, cable etc. Seperate homes as well as small developments.

Settled on one with two big aircon bedrooms, very nice bathroom with bath, shower, hot water. Nice seperate kitchen. Even has microwave. No deposit, no lease required, direct electricity bills - not loaded. Quiet, yet close to town centre and beach.

So there seems to be lots available. Just drive around and talk to people. Everybody seems to know of something available.

Edited by OlRedEyes

Ms Ta has some nice listings on the southern end of the island give her a call and she can help you I am sure locate something nice.

I know of one place very nice for 25K/ month and very nice setting too she is showing people now.

01-089-7766 Ms Ta

Edited by ayakiawe

Ms Ta has some nice listings on the southern end of the island give her a call and she can help you I am sure locate something nice.

I know of one place very nice for 25K/ month and very nice setting too she is showing people now.

01-089-7766 Ms Ta

Mmmm. Why always Ms Ta, Ayakiawa. Living on commision. You can use advertising for that. Here it will make people confused of what your motives are. Helping people or making money?

If there is something that is available in Thailand, it is houses for rent and sale. Never have to be afraid you won't find something.

Don't try people to hurry and make a decision. It is a used car salemans tactic.

This is why I can't believe people buy in Samui...

The rent is so low....

Compared to what?

A quick calculation.

A modest house with some land is about 3 million baht. Ratio here is about 1:100 which means you pay around 30000 baht a month for rent.

If you put the 3 million on a saving account (England/Australia 12 month fixes)it will get around 5.5% yearly. This is 165.000 baht per year. If you substract about 2% for inflation it will be 75.000.

That is a little over 6.000 baht a month. The house will cost you 30.000 - 6.000 = 24.000 baht per month AND the money is still in your bank available for emergencies.

If you pay cash, you will not have the 165.000 baht return on interest. Hopefully you will get it back when you sell the house/land. If it goes belly up as happens many times in case of unable to sell, divorce, ownership troubles, etc..

Still have some costs for maintenance.

If you borrow the money (mortgage) the going rate is around 7.5%. 3 million baht will cost you 18750 baht per month on interest and + 25.000 for repayment (10 years).

Together that is 43.750 per month. You also have to reserve some money for maintenance.

Again geting rid of the property can be difficult.

What is the cheapest.

Buying cash.

Which has the highest risk.

Buying cash.

Rent is second. Best thing is you can walk away without trouble. You will still have the money on your bank.

A mortgage is the most expensive, as expected. Risk is not that big. If everything goes wrong ultimately the bank has another NPL.

Rent is not the cheapeast, but is the most convenient. It is also perfect to get to know a place before you decide to buy.

If buying is your intend:

The best thing to do in my opinion is to rent for at least a year. Use that time to get knowledge about areas in your neighbouhood. You will notice that prices from developers are incredible high. Your best choices are buying land and build yourself or buy second hand at a good price.

All hassles with the law and using loopholes or other solutions to circumvent the law you will have to accept.

This is why I can't believe people buy in Samui...

The rent is so low....

Compared to what?

A quick calculation.

A modest house with some land is about 3 million baht. Ratio here is about 1:100 which means you pay around 30000 baht a month for rent.

If you put the 3 million on a saving account (England/Australia 12 month fixes)it will get around 5.5% yearly. This is 165.000 baht per year. If you substract about 2% for inflation it will be 75.000.

That is a little over 6.000 baht a month. The house will cost you 30.000 - 6.000 = 24.000 baht per month AND the money is still in your bank available for emergencies.

If you pay cash, you will not have the 165.000 baht return on interest. Hopefully you will get it back when you sell the house/land. If it goes belly up as happens many times in case of unable to sell, divorce, ownership troubles, etc..

Still have some costs for maintenance.

If you borrow the money (mortgage) the going rate is around 7.5%. 3 million baht will cost you 18750 baht per month on interest and + 25.000 for repayment (10 years).

Together that is 43.750 per month. You also have to reserve some money for maintenance.

Again geting rid of the property can be difficult.

What is the cheapest.

Buying cash.

Which has the highest risk.

Buying cash.

Rent is second. Best thing is you can walk away without trouble. You will still have the money on your bank.

A mortgage is the most expensive, as expected. Risk is not that big. If everything goes wrong ultimately the bank has another NPL.

Rent is not the cheapeast, but is the most convenient. It is also perfect to get to know a place before you decide to buy.

If buying is your intend:

The best thing to do in my opinion is to rent for at least a year. Use that time to get knowledge about areas in your neighbouhood. You will notice that prices from developers are incredible high. Your best choices are buying land and build yourself or buy second hand at a good price.

All hassles with the law and using loopholes or other solutions to circumvent the law you will have to accept.

Thanks for the maths...Proves my point

The rent is low in comparison to the price of the property...

Edited by RAZZELL