Im Looking For River Front Land On A Budget.. Where Do You Suggest?

BTM

I want to buy a couple of Rai or more depending on price, along the Ping River..

Im open to Chiang Dao or further north, what do you guys suggest as a place ot put on my list of places to see.

My top budget is about 300,000 Per rai I guess, so my question is do you think I have a chance of finding something in that range, that is directly on the river and has a land title (Nor Sor 3 or Chanoet)?

Im ok being a little remote, but I must have some form of internet access via 3g / aircard or cable..

Im looking to go on my search next week, so any info is very welcome.

For starters are you married to a Thai, if not get real

Being married to a Thai or not matters nil... Ive been here for 15 years in Phuket and I know my way around real estate...

I have had 7 properties for me to views sent to me from the Chiang Dao areas that fit that budget and although I could go to a couple mil a rai, that would be silly now wouldnt it? It aint worth that in those areas Im asking about.

Thats about as real as I will get.. next

• Like 2

My first reaction is to laugh at your budget...less that 1000bt a wah. maybe a floodridden rice field, with a former cemetary in the middle of it.

But of course someone will come up with something.....bet its not in Thailand though.

I do not understand what the laugh is, there is plenty of land that price all over Thailand outside of the Farang haunts. I own 145 Rai here in Nakhon Si Thammarat that I paid 50k a rai for... Its all relative to where the land is... Im looking for land off the grid for sustaninable housing..

Edited by BTM

Its a bit far from CM, but the land around Chiang Dao is really fertile. But I would have some hesitations about buying next to a river, they always flood, sooner or later....sad.png

Yes I want to be at least an hour from CM or CR.. somewhere in the middle I guess..

I will have to get a lot of local knowledge on the flood problems on each particular plot I guess.. To be sustainable the property needs its own water source and obviously fertile soil is a must have.

Thanks again for your input. :)

Yes, be super careful about land next to the river in Chiang Dao. I was once offered a large plot that looked fantastic: 20 rai with the river along one side. Went back to look many times, taking different experts. Owner said never floods. Was well down the road to buying when by chance met the farmer who was renting part of it from the owner. "Does it flood?" "Sure it floods every year ... completely ... but only for a few days". Yeah, great!

• Like 1

Yes, be super careful about land next to the river in Chiang Dao. I was once offered a large plot that looked fantastic: 20 rai with the river along one side. Went back to look many times, taking different experts. Owner said never floods. Was well down the road to buying when by chance met the farmer who was renting part of it from the owner. "Does it flood?" "Sure it floods every year ... completely ... but only for a few days". Yeah, great!

Maybe the farmer doesn't want you to buy it? Then he'd lose his livelihood.

Har har! Yes, that's good point!

Actually it was later admitted by the owner, reluctantly, too.

Maybe the farmer doesn't want you to buy it? Then he'd lose his livelihood.

• Like 2

My first reaction is to laugh at your budget...less that 1000bt a wah. maybe a floodridden rice field, with a former cemetary in the middle of it.

But of course someone will come up with something.....bet its not in Thailand though.

I do not understand what the laugh is, there is plenty of land that price all over Thailand outside of the Farang haunts. I own 145 Rai here in Nakhon Si Thammarat that I paid 50k a rai for... Its all relative to where the land is... Im looking for land off the grid for sustaninable housing..

I've looked at land on the Ping river, but just about anywhere the asking prices are *very* high. The assumption seems to be that it's to be sold to build a fancy resort, or if not they'll happily hold out for it until eternity.

Of course there are more rivers and streams near Chiang Mai than the Ping.. Other rivers you can have better luck.

Though just by the very nature of rivers in Thailand, you will deal with strong variations in water level. If you want land that never floods then that's really quite hard to achieve; would probably require major raising of the land, building concrete or other strong structures to make sure the raised land doesn't wash away, and then doing regular maintenance on those structures. Another approach is to built on stilts, and allow for the occasional flood. Then you're more going with the flow (literally) rather than fighting it all the time.

Overall though 300,000 baht /rai is quite hard these days for *any* land, especially land that's suitable to farm on, almost regardless of how far it is from (any) town. I get the feeling land prices are a bit higher in the North generally than in other parts of the country; bog standard farmland (with some access and water for irrigation) easily runs 450K. You CAN find 300,000 or less, but then it's often a very large plot, so your total spend again is very high. (Eg. having to buy 20 rai..)

• Like 1

Rubbish. You are a farang and therefore you own nothing.

I've looked at land on the Ping river, but just about anywhere the asking prices are *very* high. The assumption seems to be that it's to be sold to build a fancy resort, or if not they'll happily hold out for it until eternity.

Of course there are more rivers and streams near Chiang Mai than the Ping.. Other rivers you can have better luck.

Though just by the very nature of rivers in Thailand, you will deal with strong variations in water level. If you want land that never floods then that's really quite hard to achieve; would probably require major raising of the land, building concrete or other strong structures to make sure the raised land doesn't wash away, and then doing regular maintenance on those structures. Another approach is to built on stilts, and allow for the occasional flood. Then you're more going with the flow (literally) rather than fighting it all the time.

Overall though 300,000 baht /rai is quite hard these days for *any* land, especially land that's suitable to farm on, almost regardless of how far it is from (any) town. I get the feeling land prices are a bit higher in the North generally than in other parts of the country; bog standard farmland (with some access and water for irrigation) easily runs 450K. You CAN find 300,000 or less, but then it's often a very large plot, so your total spend again is very high. (Eg. having to buy 20 rai..)

Thank you for your point of view.

I was up in Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai this time last year and looked for a couple of weeks.. As you say, there are plenty of larger plots at about 300k per rai (even lower), but 10 Rai and up was the average sizes I saw.. I can increase the budget if need be and buy a larger plot and then I could sell off some smaller plots... Its an option anyway, but I only need 2 Rai for my "experiment".

Im not that experienced on the flood levels and thats something I will have to look into in a big way prior to buying.. Building on stilts is not out of the question... I guess I will see sooner or later.

you wrote: "Of course there are more rivers and streams near Chiang Mai than the Ping.. Other rivers you can have better luck." - any advice on areas / rivers would be appreciated.

Thanks again in your response, its nice to actually get someone with knowledge who does not mind sharing some of it... cheers

Edited by BTM

Thank you for your point of view.

I was up in Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai this time last year and looked for a couple of weeks.. As you say, there are plenty of larger plots at about 300k per rai (even lower), but 10 Rai and up was the average sizes I saw.. I can increase the budget if need be and buy a larger plot and then I could sell off some smaller plots... Its an option anyway, but I only need 2 Rai for my "experiment".

Im not that experienced on the flood levels and thats something I will have to look into in a big way prior to buying.. Building on stilts is not out of the question... I guess I will see sooner or later.

you wrote: "Of course there are more rivers and streams near Chiang Mai than the Ping.. Other rivers you can have better luck." - any advice on areas / rivers would be appreciated.

Thanks again in your response, its nice to actually get someone with knowledge who does not mind sharing some of it... cheers

The before mentioned message i sent regarding the 12 rai can be split up into smaller plots from 1 rai upwards.

Just trying to help a friend by mentioning this with no financial gain at all for me

,but i have land next to it that is why i asked you to send a pm stating what your experiment involves and if it is line with what i am doing then i will pass the info on

cheers

Hi

i know of 12 rai for sale 1 hour North of chiang Dao

.It is prime land in a quiet village

.PM if you like with your intentions what you are planning on doing with the land and maybe we can arrange something

cheers

Please let me know the price and if it is on the riverfront..

My intentions are to build a sustainable property.. If I am successful at making the property sustainable I might turn it into a "eco resort" or I might keep it as a holiday let.. Im not real sure on the future, it will depend on many variables... Please send me some pics of the land, location and prices.. thanks

i just wrote a long reply but it didnt go for some reason.

Land not on water front.,in a mature lychee orchard

beautiful panaroma of the nearby mountains

borderes my organic garden

american owner

12 rai 3.3 million with western 1 bed room built house

1 rai 275000 not with the house.

has various fruit trees and fish pond with all pipes to the lychee tree

no flooding issues

I plan on building adobe mud houses on my land and having a yoga massage herbalist retreats going on

Main town is chaiprakan about 20 mins away on motorcycle

i just wrote a long reply but it didnt go for some reason.

Land not on water front.,in a mature lychee orchard

beautiful panaroma of the nearby mountains

borderes my organic garden

american owner

12 rai 3.3 million with western 1 bed room built house

1 rai 275000 not with the house.

has various fruit trees and fish pond with all pipes to the lychee tree

no flooding issues

I plan on building adobe mud houses on my land and having a yoga massage herbalist retreats going on

Main town is chaiprakan about 20 mins away on motorcycle

Thats sounds interesting and what you are doing is not so different than what my plans are.

Im going to build a quality bamboo / adobe home... If I can make a success of it, I then plan to develop / promote these types of homes / off the grid living.

I will check the location and contact you via PM if I want to take it further.

Thanks again and I wish the best of luck and success with your project.

Does it have to be river access? or just water.

If a canal or small tributary will do I would really look southwards towards Lampuhn. There is a lot of land in your price range sometimes less, same (or less) distance to CM as from Chiang Dao (and Lampuhn city has most things you will need anyway materials wise), good access to labour, a far better highway/road (IMHO and so quicker to get there), and the added benefit of no Burmese drug runs so less check pointssmile.png

Edited by mamborobert
  • Like 1

Yes, Lamphun is worth looking into. A lot of that province is fairly close to Chiang Mai town (a lot closer than Chiang Dao anyway) and prices are lower. But there are proper rivers out there too. On Google maps it's not always obvious what is a proper river and what is a tiny stream (or dry river bed) most of the year.

Being married to a Thai or not matters nil... Ive been here for 15 years in Phuket and I know my way around real estate...

I have had 7 properties for me to views sent to me from the Chiang Dao areas that fit that budget and although I could go to a couple mil a rai, that would be silly now wouldnt it? It aint worth that in those areas Im asking about.

It appears you have all of the answers.

It appears you have all of the answers.

No I dont, but I have probably more than you... Thanks for your invaluable input into this thread.

Yes, Lamphun is worth looking into. A lot of that province is fairly close to Chiang Mai town (a lot closer than Chiang Dao anyway) and prices are lower. But there are proper rivers out there too. On Google maps it's not always obvious what is a proper river and what is a tiny stream (or dry river bed) most of the year.

Thanks again WTK.. Ill do a lot more off the main road tours on this trip and look in the Lamphun area also. cheers

Are we talking about corruption or bending the laws here?

just let him go on his way; with his own arrogance. He obviously knows more than anyone here....I dont understand why he is asking anyones opinion.

I read Phuket is booming in land and property this year; try down there. values up 20% in last 2 years.

• Like 1

just let him go on his way; with his own arrogance. He obviously knows more than anyone here....I dont understand why he is asking anyones opinion.

I read Phuket is booming in land and property this year; try down there. values up 20% in last 2 years.

There is nothing arrogant about my posts.. Adding cantankerous replies is just a waste of yours and mine...

I asked for suggestions for land = "Im open to Chiang Dao or further north, what do you guys suggest as a place ot put on my list of places to see."

"My top budget is about 300,000 Per rai I guess, so my question is do you think I have a chance of finding something in that range, that is directly on the river and has a land title (Nor Sor 3 or Chanoet)?"

If you have any info post it or move onto your 1003 post somewhere else... Im sure it will be gripping!

Do you have someone to build your adobe house or someone who can help you.If not i can help you on that front as i know one of the best builders for adobe ,but he is in high demand so you have to book him well in advance.

he has built many amazing desighns mostly in the pai area.

Are you also thinking of getting the mud from the site you wish to purchase as a lot of the soil riverside is not of the type of soil to build an adobe home.

i also have a good friend in the chiang Dao area who speaks perfect Thai and has set up his own project there plus i have family members of my girlfriend who all live in the chiand Dao area and have done for generations,so they know which land is available and they dont put an agents fee on top.

I tried to send you photos of the land i mentioned but the copy and paste dont work

I am in Cm at this moment so we could meet and i could show you the photos then and talk about a few things

• Like 1

Adding cantankerous replies is just a waste of yours and mine...

Yes, but you are forgetting the entertainment value of your thread to other TV members, some of us follow these posts wondering what will be said next! biggrin.png

That being said, It has been mentioned further on about the adobe, correct me if I am wrong, but you need clay for adobe. The river will give you sands and some sand-silt mixtures. To find clay you need to find an old lake bed, insamuch as the size of clay particles is so much smaller than sands or silts they will remain in suspension in moving water and only fall out when the water stops moving.

• Like 1