Graffiti

phuketsub

• 4 months later...

Quite the same graffiti. What's the meaning of this meme?

This was on the Central Festival overpass where they are digging the hole.

attachicon.gif2012-12-27_16-02-46.jpg

Looks a little like Mickey Mouse with a bad hangover

I think they are trying to combine the scariest of images (skull) with the cutest (Mickey Mouse)...Who knows what the point is really. Anyway, they are all over the place now...If they put one up on Khao Toh Seh or on a building on Thalang Road ( etc.) I'll be baying for blood. With all the video cameras up everywhere the cops could probably put a stop to it...if they were so inclined.

Completely retarded. The OrBorJor put this ridiculous sign up at Point 7 on Khao Toh Seh, now it is covered in graffiti.

The sign itself is ugly and only serves to BLOCK THE VIEW it is trying to promote!

Pathetic.

post-40708-0-12831300-1374039716_thumb.j

Is it fair to impose controversial "art" on everyone, whether they want to see it, or not?

I don't think so, unless you are the calibre of Banksy, which this bloke obviously isn't..

Who has the right to define the calibre? Being from the city where Banksy attended uni I can tell you he's done (imo) some guff work over the years. For example lots of floor stencils that simply say 'BANKSY' - not particularly full of social commentary. He's also done some awesome work, hence his now venerated state even amongst the organisations that previously wanted to track him down and prosecute him.

On the same token, regarding the comment above about 'would you like it on your wall' the two people I know who ended up with original Banksy artwork on or inside their buildings certainly aren't complaining about it now.

In terms of this graffiti, and the rest from unknown artists - unless the complainers are the owner of the building, in which case the decision to remove it is theirs, I don't see any more right for them to complain than in regard to commercial advertising.

the street artist responsible for this meme is named bon. he's from bangkok, and an actual artist who has been commissioned all over SE ASIA. you can find his work all over phuket - in nai harn, he painted the old concrete building near the lagoon with a fish, on thalang road in town, just near soi rommanee, he painted a bird, he's got a bunch of stuff scattered around kathu as well. if you are familiar with the bodega guest house in patong, he painted the entire second floor. i'm proud to say he's painted my kitchen chairs and my shoes; i've known him for nearly 3 years.

if you would be interested in seeing his work, not complaining about it, you can search him on facebook under mue bon.

I doubt this "street artist" resorts to poorly stenciled images...I'd say someone is imitating his work, because it sucks.

But a "street artist" painting shoes and kitchen chairs? I wonder if Banksy ever did that?

All of Banksy's work is stencil based, not sure about shoes and chairs, but he's definitely stencilled a cow.

My concern is: where is this all going to end?

When they put the retarded sign up they were just asking for trouble, and it didn't take long to come.

Bangkok is just a sprawl of crumbling concrete and rebar; the so-called "street art" seems to fit there, just as it does in its (nominal) sister city Los Angeles (both are named 'City of Angels').

It seems that every trend that starts in BKK ends up here...

Anyway, I am just going to lower the periscope until I can get out of here, which hopefully won't take too long.

here's a link to the promo video to the Bangkok Street Art video in February:

Edited by phuketsub

I think what we have going here is two different subjects regarding "graffiti".

1. the actual "street art" where the people are actually very talented and putting up something worth looking at

and then

2. Dufus with a spray paint can putting his name, nic, or handle somewhere, on a public sign, or building wall, in some type of moronic scrawl.

I'm seeing more and more of the latter around here in Phuket.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

You can find plenty of graffitis at the Phuket town festival (which ends on Sunday).

Some are words of wisdom

2014-02-07_19-19-26.jpg

Some are more abstract

2014-02-07_23-03-45.jpg

And get caught in the act of vandalising the streets. I suppose BiB is once again useless to fight this street crime.

2014-02-07_19-20-31.jpg

I did visit Google Images, but none of the images there had much resemblance to the images I see around town apart from the mouse ears; certainly no skull-like features below the nose. I think I might go out with my own can of spraypaint some night soon and draw Groucho Marx glasses and mustaches on a few of them then gauge the reaction...or would that make me as bad as the people I have complaining about?

That's a big no-no in graffiti culture, I'd advise you don't.

I did visit Google Images, but none of the images there had much resemblance to the images I see around town apart from the mouse ears; certainly no skull-like features below the nose. I think I might go out with my own can of spraypaint some night soon and draw Groucho Marx glasses and mustaches on a few of them then gauge the reaction...or would that make me as bad as the people I have complaining about?

That's a big no-no in graffiti culture, I'd advise you don't.

Hmm...I'll have to google the term 'graffiti culture' now...

• 2 weeks later...

Man, it is full on at Wongwian Nimitr in Phuket Town. They are demolishing all those old karaoke bars and the graffiti artists are going buckwild with all the exposed surfaces; when I drove past yesterday you could smell the spray paint in the air.

I guess Phuket Grocery, which owns the land and is going to expand into it, doesn't care as the whole thing is going to be demolished anyway.

Some of the stuff is actually pretty good, I have to admit.

(see attached pix)

post-40708-0-20675300-1392785123_thumb.j

post-40708-0-70127500-1392785202_thumb.j

post-40708-0-85783700-1392785251_thumb.j

post-40708-0-40672200-1392785296_thumb.j

Edited by phuketsub

I the idea how the graffiti artists are doing things in that case. Not to destroy valuable property, but make their drawings where is does not cause suffering for the owners (as well as long term eye pain for people who see those :)

It could be nice if the owners of awful gray walls could let the best of the graffiti artists to use the walls are canvases.

the street artist responsible for this meme is named bon. he's from bangkok, and an actual artist who has been commissioned all over SE ASIA. you can find his work all over phuket - in nai harn, he painted the old concrete building near the lagoon with a fish, on thalang road in town, just near soi rommanee, he painted a bird, he's got a bunch of stuff scattered around kathu as well. if you are familiar with the bodega guest house in patong, he painted the entire second floor. i'm proud to say he's painted my kitchen chairs and my shoes; i've known him for nearly 3 years.

if you would be interested in seeing his work, not complaining about it, you can search him on facebook under mue bon.

I did, very good!