Aussies Warned About Phuket Scamsters

webfact

Really? I'm in Phuket now and invite you to name a few.

Kamala beach Nai Yang, Mai Khao, Nai Thon, Tamaparo Bay, Po Bay to name a few

Shut up, Rich! rolleyes.gif

I really would have prefered you to say "Hush Richard"....by saying Shut Up you are going to down to the level of most of the "bogans" on this thread who have no real knowledge of this island...

Rip Offs...you get them everywhere in the world including the UK, USA , Aus etc etc

"bogan" Moi? No matey, I's born and bred Pommy - none of your Jet Star Bogan trash, me! biggrin.png

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Went there for a holiday with my Thai g/f. Not impressed. When we go back to Thailand she asked.

Excellent quote - she sounds like a smart girl! Sad to see that even the Thai's are growing to hate Phuket and Pattaya - my kids are Thai, but refuse to go anywhere nea Pattaya as they said its disgusting - thats been their attitude for the last few years and my eldest is only 16 now... even the 7 year old wont go in the sea because of the floating detritus...

The scams are destroying our tourism, and the TAT really must put pressure where it is needed, but in the typical political atmosphere, its all "mai pen rai"...very sad for our country.

The trouble with Thailand is not so much the scams... it's us men. We just can't resist the charms of the Thai ladies...

post-35489-0-39580900-1356336761.jpg

I remember this speech.

President Obama and Prime Minister Yingluck announced to the world that

"The Global War on Phuket tuk-tuks" had just been declared and they were thanking the

"coalition of the willing tourist" who refuse to hire them, under any circumstances, for their efforts in attempting to bring about an early end to the war. smile.pngsmile.pngsmile.pngsmile.png

You completely misunderstood them. He's just asking Yingluck, if she'd heard about Monica Lewinski and if she'd love cigars from Cuba. w00t.gif

Looks like she is saying you hansum aussie man, you have wife?

Edited by chooka
  • Like 2

I wonder if anyone is warning the Thai people about drunken Australian and British louts parading around the streets at 3:00am during the holiday season ...

They like the drunk ones. They're an easier mark for flowers, ciggies and wooden frogs.

• Like 1

My father owns/runs a travel agency in Melbourne and he was saying Phuket/Thailand was once a popular destination amongst his customers looking for a week away but still close to home. He was telling me that over the last 3 years it is fading away as a destination amongst Aussies and many are now turning thier attention to Vietnam which he says is starting to boom as a S/E Asian holiday destination.

Not sure if Vietnam is the answer. I have found the Vietnamese to be worse. Had nothing but trouble every time i have been there. They are still in the early days of tourism and basically don't have a clue how to conduct themselves with tourists. There are plenty around only ready to scam you though. Everyone else i have spoken to who has been was of the same opinion , but i will say it is a beautiful country , pity about the people.

Pray tell , dear gKid, what has our Dept. PM Pol. Captain Chalerm actually done regarding the 'situation' in Phuket ?

Mind you, he seems to have been succesful in getting rid of the jetski maffia in North-Eastern Thailand, although the 'drugsfree' campaign there seems an ongoing struggle. Nothing to do with being the Heartland of Pheu Thai of course. rolleyes.gif

Yes, the containment of drug trafficing in the north is a struggle, but it is being contained by the efforts of the government. The proof is in the fact that the drug cartels are unable to regain their stranglehold on the region. What you intentionally neglect is that the DPM is not wrong in his assessment of the situation. The drug cartels had almost gained full control of the local political structure, the judiciary and the law enforcement, until the government fought back. Many innocent people died, but had the former PM Thaksin not gone to war against the cartels, all would have been lost.

The DPM sees he same pattern on Phuket where the corruption has spread itself so strongly into the political structure, the judiciary and the police, that what will be needed is an all out war on these criminals. The difference in phuket is that the cartel has been at it a lot longer than the drug cartels and they are woven into the social fabric. For those of us that have lived in Patong and can see the endemic corruption that permeates every institution and agency, the only cure seems to be a surgical removal of the sponsors of the corruption. Unfortunately, Phuket is a Democratic controlled zone and is a key source of party funds. Do the math.

Drugs, scams and the like are endemic in Thailand. That's part of the social structure where 'puyai' may change their political base, colour, or whatever, but remain on track as 'puyai'.. You move freely from 'drugcartels almost gained full control up-North' to 'corruption has spread itself so strongly into the political structure, the judiciary and the police" in Phuket. You seem to suggest that not only is up-North free of drugcartels, but even corruption. Both are a wee bit beside the truth, IMHO.

As for "Phuket is a Democratic controlled zone and is a key source of party funds. Do the math", please provide some links from where you get the 'key source of funding'.

BTW I like your "had the former PM Thaksin not gone to war". I assume only figure of speech, less than 3000 deaths in that war. Seen as completely justified by some wink.png

But not by the families of the innocent.

I've never been to Phuket, and with all the things I've heard I never intend to - it doesn't sound much like the places in thailand I know and love to visit.

its a real shame to see this sort of thing - especially when there are actually wonderful places to visit with lovely people living there.

Phuket just sounds like a cesspool though...

Agree 100% with your sentiments.

Friend just back from Philippines says it is full of f'lang tourists - many were regular visitors to Thailand, now saying they will never go back due to the scams.

Surely the official extortion, bribery and mentally of the locals factor in to the decision too.

Posted 2012-06-22 16:40:28

Chalerm vows to get rid of mafia in tourism businesses

BANGKOK: -- Deputy Prime Minister Chalerm Yoobamrung Friday has vowed to get rid of the mafia groups in the tourism business within three months.

http://www.thaivisa....within-3-month/

Okay "3 Months" That was June 22nd 2012.... It is now December 24th 2012, "6 months". Cannot someone in Parlament do something... As either he has no intention of following up on his words, or he can't. In either case it is a simple proceedure.... If you can't do the Job..your Fired! If they find that he has in the process broken the law, by some sort of personal involvement ($B$B$) cool.png then Democrats or whoever wants to be Re-Elected, let the People of Thailand need see some "Back-bone", made of something other than Paper-Money. I will personally help with increasing the Tourist Input to Thailand.... If they let me educate the People of Thailand on how to make sure your Senator, MP, Represenatives in Bangkok are working for you, your Village, your City, your Province.... and if they are not! How to insure they do, if they want to keep their Jobs. How to do this and not wait until their term of office is done. Every Government Official that has been Elected... thinks they has a Safe Cushy Job, secure for the length of Term mandated by the Position they hold. It won't take me 3 months either!

News to them not one office... chair... water fountain... is secure! They can one by one... all be removed, discarded, trashed! All safely and securely, without breaking a fingernail or disrupting traffic. The only deaths will be those who decide to exit from the top of any High Rise Building in Beautiful Downtown Bangkok... to save Face! All done to improve the state of Democracy and the Kingdom, most of all... the People of Thailand.

Rest my case!

I am not a threat to Thailand, Thailand has taken care of me in the past. I owe the Kingdom for being alive today... Does this not as Thai Culture give me the "Honor" to offer some type of restitution? If I am to as Thai say... "Save Face?"

Edited by metisdead
: Bold font removed.

Friend just back from Philippines says it is full of f'lang tourists - many were regular visitors to Thailand, now saying they will never go back due to the scams.

I doubt they could get out of their wheel chairs for the flight over. There arent many expats in the Philippines under 60 and most of them make the Rawaii/Chalong cheapskates in Phuket look like millionares

The power and lure of cheap Thai sex is overwhelming. Why in the world would Australians visit the run down, rip off, and unsafe beach communities of Thailand? The beaches in Australia are beautiful and safe.Not so much cheap sex readily available but if that's why they come to Thailand's sewer, then buyer beware.

Brits at least have a cover for traveling to Thailand in that it's an escape from the weather. Why wouldn't Brits fly to Florida instead of Thailand? Unless of course they are coming for the elephants, temples, street fishballs and cheap Thai sex. Again, buyer beware.

The power and lure of cheap Thai sex is overwhelming. Why in the world would Australians visit the run down, rip off, and unsafe beach communities of Thailand? The beaches in Australia are beautiful and safe.Not so much cheap sex readily available but if that's why they come to Thailand's sewer, then buyer beware.

Brits at least have a cover for traveling to Thailand in that it's an escape from the weather. Why wouldn't Brits fly to Florida instead of Thailand? Unless of course they are coming for the elephants, temples, street fishballs and cheap Thai sex. Again, buyer beware.

Whats your point? Sex sells doesn't it?

Whats your point? Sex sells doesn't it?

Why would anyone want to go to Florida? Disneyworld?

Must say I have heard the same thing, it is being said more and more all the time here in Ozz, especially by the once frequent Thai travellers........

Yes, I view this is a positive article because the only way we are going to see things improve is if various consulates project travelers warnings and people stop coming here.

Only then will the powers that be do something about the problem.

But with tourist numbers continually growing, I doubt anything will be done.

C'mon America, Canada, Western Europe, etc. find some balls and follow in these guy's footsteps.

Sadly, Officials, in the interests of keeping their positions, will only find new ways of skewing arrival numbers in order to ensure that tourism is "observed" to be continually increasing. Anyone with a business relying on foreigners, as well as regular visitors, can tell you that not only is the number of foreign visitors appearing to be on the decrease, but the quality of visitors is decreasing too. I can say that a lot of the guys that I see around Silom, Sukhumvit etc, which used to be the "up standard" area for tourists, I would have only expected to find on Khao San Road 5 years ago.

And they drink themselves until they can't stand anymore, wondering why they got robbed afterwards.

In rural Isaan, I have observed more foreigners too, who appear to be creating pockets of their home countries, or at least a western Oasis.. that isn't what Isaan is about. The tourists are out of touch with the embassies, the embassies are out of touch with their countrymen, and the government is out of touch with the world.

"It is best to avoid isolated neighbourhoods, shortcuts, narrow alleys and poorly lit streets, especially late at night," he said.

Boy, times have changed since I ran on the streets at Pattya. It was a favorite past time exploring the alleys and short cuts.

I never felt threatened back then and in fact felt very safe in Thailand in those days.

What's happened? I know things change, but in two decades it's turned into a getto.

Yes, I view this is a positive article because the only way we are going to see things improve is if various consulates project travelers warnings and people stop coming here.

Only then will the powers that be do something about the problem.

But with tourist numbers continually growing, I doubt anything will be done.

C'mon America, Canada, Western Europe, etc. find some balls and follow in these guy's footsteps.

Sadly, Officials, in the interests of keeping their positions, will only find new ways of skewing arrival numbers in order to ensure that tourism is "observed" to be continually increasing. Anyone with a business relying on foreigners, as well as regular visitors, can tell you that not only is the number of foreign visitors appearing to be on the decrease, but the quality of visitors is decreasing too. I can say that a lot of the guys that I see around Silom, Sukhumvit etc, which used to be the "up standard" area for tourists, I would have only expected to find on Khao San Road 5 years ago.

And they drink themselves until they can't stand anymore, wondering why they got robbed afterwards.

In rural Isaan, I have observed more foreigners too, who appear to be creating pockets of their home countries, or at least a western Oasis.. that isn't what Isaan is about. The tourists are out of touch with the embassies, the embassies are out of touch with their countrymen, and the government is out of touch with the world.

So it's not just my observation!! I've been visiting/holidaying in/transiting Thailand for 30+ years, and almost always stayed in the Sukhumvit Soi 3 - 21 zone, and that's been my observation. Years ago it was an infinitely nicer area than it is today with Sois Nana and Cowboy, and several other areas, now the hangouts of the bottom half percent of the socio/intellectual spectrum.

I'm in Thailand again in a couple of months, and have already booked in Sukhumvit, but I'll look elsewhere whilst there for the next visit.

I've never felt the need to visit Phuket or Pattaya so I can't comment on whether they've deteriorated.

the recent case of the young girl dying ...she was a trainee aussie journalist really spread the bad vibes ... they tried to blame her aussie boyfriend even though it was on xxxxxx cctv ,,,blatant attempt at rip off ..

That was at Chewang on Samui but the negative press that recieved in Australia on prime teatime tv Ch 9 prompted a response from thai authorities that 'appeared' to show that action was being taken to right a wrong..All it ever does here of course is to minimise save of face amongst the bad elements of thai authority as no one is ever charged or blamed for anything here...it just never happens and we all know why!..'Rotton to the core'...haven't we heard that many times over the years?

Years ago I used to think that Phuket would be a nice place to take a holiday . I have been there once to catch a plane and spent an afternoon at a beach near the airport while waiting for the evening flight . Today I would never dream of going there , nor Pattaya . I prefer the region of Krabi , or other places that are not high profile resorts .

And you can bet that with the increasing popularity of Krabi you will see more of the rip-offs and scams there too in the future.

Yes and all the other scams as well go there at your own peril

i say, have been there for holidays and will not go back

only the newbies go there till they learn then i doubt most would go back

Not true, I have been doing to Phuket for nearly 20 years and I love it. I always stay far from the action around Soi Nanai, stay at a nice hotel, hire a bike from them and have absolutely no problems. Of course I never rent a Jet Ski or car or even take a taxi as I have my own bike. Keeping the alcohol to moderate levels you need to always be wary but apart from that cant wait to hit the Tiger disco and those lovely kitties in there!

the recent case of the young girl dying ...she was a trainee aussie journalist really spread the bad vibes ... they tried to blame her aussie boyfriend even though it was on xxxxxx cctv ,,,blatant attempt at rip off ..

That was at Chewang on Samui but the negative press that recieved in Australia on prime teatime tv Ch 9 prompted a response from thai authorities that 'appeared' to show that action was being taken to right a wrong..All it ever does here of course is to minimise save of face amongst the bad elements of thai authority as no one is ever charged or blamed for anything here...it just never happens and we all know why!..'Rotton to the core'...haven't we heard that many times over the years?

When the travel agent was murdered TAT and other thai agencies went into immeadiate damage control, sprinkling fairy dust everywhere and bringing out media releases that tourists from Australia are going to flock to Thailand. Speak to Aussie travel agents and they will tell you that booking for Thai holidays are down probably due to the hammering Thailand has taken in the media right througout 2012. There were a number of less flattering stories in the media.

Years ago I used to think that Phuket would be a nice place to take a holiday . I have been there once to catch a plane and spent an afternoon at a beach near the airport while waiting for the evening flight . Today I would never dream of going there , nor Pattaya . I prefer the region of Krabi , or other places that are not high profile resorts .

And you can bet that with the increasing popularity of Krabi you will see more of the rip-offs and scams there too in the future.

it goes without saying, the schemers and criminal element will follow and prey on the tourists

Shouldn't the advice be to simply go to places nicer than Phuket?

But then again the scammers would just follow the tourists, maybe better to keep the number of such cesspools limited.

It is my opinion that there would possibly be a fairly even disbursement of scammers to tourists as a ratio, throughout Thailand. Places like Phuket and Pattaya are read about in the media all the time, simply because that is where most of the tourists are, it is also where most of the first time tourists are, who are less exposed to this type of activity and rather than having the "mai bpen rai" attitude over being scammed on small amounts and just "paying up and walking away" like some others might.

The snake rots from the head, this is true in all totalitarian countries, which the USSR was, which Bosnia was, which China is, and which Thailand is. At least the aforementioned countries actually openly declared who ran the establishment, unlike Thailand who simply cannot as it would impeach the entire current government. As we know, the name of the game is about power and position, from the "top cop" shot callers, right down to the bottom feeding fare collectors.

The government does not see that there is a problem, because the system is providing them what they see the purpose of the system is for - personal influential and financial gain. Until the system is changed or people are bought into the system who think differently, Thailand will continue to ignore the world.

• Like 1

[

The GDP figures, based on per capita, are quite misleading, as you have countries like Monaco, Luxembourg, and Bermuda on the top of the list. These are incredibly irrelevent countries on the world stage. Thailand has major manufacturing, and the point I was trying to make was that if the country does not protect it's FDI sponsors, then what direction is it going to move in?

If you are in the financial services industry you will know that Luxembourg is not Irrelivant, if you are in the accounting industry you will understand that Monaco is no less irrelivant. The money is disbursed at a much higher rate per person, which is the definition of GDP essentially.

Thailand is not protecting FDI, it still has not completed anti-flood measures for its' foreign factories, its tourists are being robbed and overcharged, and foreigners wanting to work and begin a life in the Kingdom are being told they are not wanted unless Thailand can gain more from the transaction than they will give back to the applicant. This is why in countries like Vietnam, Myanmar, and Cambodia (countries Thailand has announced it will "lead" in ASEAN) are rapidly increasing GDP output, and economies of scale are ramping up, whilst Thailand is stagnant, unless you rely on botched government figures. I rely on what I see.

Countries like Malaysia, Brunei and Vietnam, with others having mutual interest in preventing Thailand from gaining influence or power (such as Cambodia and Myanmar) will ensure that Thailand remains stagnant long after ASEAN kicks in. How far do you think that Thai GDP can fall before they allow someone with sense and a modern attitude to take the reigns and change the country for the better? I hope you packed your lunch.

• Like 1

the police are in the scam business too.......went to Chang Mai last week pulled over in my car for something that did not happen......so i just drove away he tried to run and bang on the side of my car.....i just left drove away,he would just stop another car,easy money.

thats 37 times i have been stopped and just drive away ......all over thailand its the same they see your out of town number plates and think.....CASH.

i did have one cop chase me and i had to pay 200 baht.....in the old days it was called highway robbery.

the police are in the scam business too.......went to Chang Mai last week pulled over in my car for something that did not happen......so i just drove away he tried to run and bang on the side of my car.....i just left drove away,he would just stop another car,easy money.

thats 37 times i have been stopped and just drive away ......all over thailand its the same they see your out of town number plates and think.....CASH.

i did have one cop chase me and i had to pay 200 baht.....in the old days it was called highway robbery.

Please forgive me for questioning your story, but you have just driven off after being stopped by the BIB on 37 occassions? You love living on the edge and the BIB have been known for seriously injuring or even killing farangs for less. I just wonder at what number you get the guy who has just finnished his whisky lunch and has a serious loss of face from you simply driving off on him and the round comes through the back window and penetrates your skull. Another self defence stat for the BIB. Personally I would rather pay the bt200 (6 bucks AUD) and know I will see the sun come up tomorrow or not spend a few days or weeks in a cell on other trumped up charges.

You can push your luck only so far and eventually you will hit the wall big time.