Broadband Internet Sharing

JJDinsay

A few posts have been placed here regarding broadband internet sharing and most ISP's refusal to allow sharing. If you are an internet cafe which signs up for a DSL or leased line how are they getting away with sharing their line. What about corporate users? Are they not sharing as well? Any inpute?

thanks,

Actually, we get some proposals to install broadband internet sharing for our condo. It includes 512 kbps ADSL phone line, sharing average ~150Kbps, unlimited data transfer, 24 hours online, no dialup. Equipment: server and ADSL modem-router, LAN wires to switching hubs + wireless access points to PCI or PCMCIA cards.

The price ~ 1,000 B/month per unit.

We just not sure how reliable this company is, since there is no similar installations to check it out.

Any comments?

To the question.

The pay for it. Corporate and personal have always had two rates. They will also give different levels of service yeada yeada…

For the home.

It’s quite simple the reason they don’t advocate sharing is its lost revenue and higher use of bandwidth.

From what I have seen they want to use a USB modem that connects directly to you computer and they install a PPOE Dial software for the modem. One computer one modem, for multiple computers they feel you should pay them for it. It is a losing battle though.

Tell them you do not have any USB ports and want a network cable (RJ 47) type modem. I told them I refuse to have that software installed to work program.

Then go to Panitp and purchase a DSL Router/Switch. This will have the modem software and share the ports as well as giving you an IP address You will have to pay for it and support it.

If you are sharing remember here we only have 256 or 512 at best if you have a few people on it you will lose all your bandwidth. So what the point of having it?

At the work place…

You pay for the sharing. Not much more though

Guest IT Manager

I routed the BB connection (satellite) through Accton basic (about 8000 bt), into a 64 port Switch, out to 2 wireless routers, 3 other 8 & 16 port switches (for small worgroups), and Bob became the uncle.

Easy peasy.

hi,

you don't really need a network adsl modem.

For the average user that needs his kids surfing at the same time and has windows 2000 or higher.

just switch on internet connection sharing on the pc with the adsl modem.

get a network R45 port and plug the other pc in there with cross cable or buy a litlle hub and plug the rest in there.

Your modem pc will be 192.168.0.1

make sure the rest are in the same range and the gateway points to the modem pc. fill in the dns everywhere and you're ready to go.

you just have to keep the modem pc switched on all the time with this system.

ISP still only sees one originating ip so one pc.

B

• 2 weeks later...
The pay for it. Corporate and personal have always had two rates. They will also give different levels of service

That answer shows the typical dumb Thai mentality.

If I am going to pay +5000 baht a month for broadband I want to connect my children's computer up as well, plus my own desktop and notebook.

That is still personal use!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Broadband on one machine is a monumental under-use.

Broadband for Thai sites only is a waste of time. There are very few sites in Thailand worth viewing. Even the Thai sites have .com and are overseas, just like the thaivisa.com. It is not economic to host a site in Thailand the CAT/TOT/ISP charge too much, and the bureacracy of registering a site is ridiculous.

The Internet in Thailand is a dead dodo, unless the government takes some speedy action, we are still 20 years behind the rest of the world.

I am aware the VOIP for commercial purposes is not permitted and was recently informed that VOIP for private use is only restricted to the service that I have. I checked and found that I can make the ipStar connection work. Where in Thailand can I find a VOIP phone such as a Clarisys I-750H? Software is available all over the net.

Hardhat

I have a similar set-up to ###### - but not so many PC's

I use an SMC Barricade Wireless Router wichh connects to my IPStar Terminal.

The SMC Barricade Router allows me wireless access around my house, pool and compound etc. It also has 3 standard network points - one of which I have connected to a 16 port switch and this is used to provide the net access for my wife's internet cafe which is about 70 metres away.

The SMC Barricade is a hardware firewall and gives very good control over access etc.

I used the same models in the UK on both ADSL and Cable broadband and never had any problems with exploits etc.

I do not need to run software firewalls.

The Barricade also provides a DHCP service for client pc's (or you can set this youself manually)

SMC kit is available in Thailand. Their tech support is also good.

(Not that that can be said for IPStar's tech support !! - But thats a different story!)

VOIP works OK with IPstar - I use net2phone to call POTS telephones abroad - eg UK only 3 cents per minute - call quality is poor - It is also offers net2fax - where you can send a fax for only 10 cents a page. Net2fax works very well.

For PC to PC VOIP by far the leading application at the moment is SKYPE - this gives very good call quality and now offers conference calling as well - It is far superior to Messenger etc. (And is free)

Using the set up I described above I can set up Skype on all my pc's on the network and can use it to speak to my wife in the office etc. if its too hot to walk there!

Have probably the simplest possible system, 1 PC with internet access through IPTV, 5 cascaded 8 port hubs placed throughout the condo, with currently 15 people connected to it.

I run the server under win2000 pro, and use a proxy called wingate. Big advantage of wingate is every client needs to give password to get internet access AND it keeps track of data volume going to each of the PC's (it can also refuse access if somebody uses more then any specified amount)

Main disadvantage is in the IPTV system since it still relies on a modem connection for upload. If it gets disconected and fails to redial there won't be any internet if nobody connects it again...

The IPTV system exists of 2 parts, the modem connection, and once that is established a VPN connection gets established to get the sattelite downlink active.

Wingate can automatically dial a modem if no connection is present, but it can't follow up with the VPN connection, so we're stuck with modemspeed afterwards....

All in all very happy with it, especially considered the price of the IPTV system...

(am on the 1.5Gb package for 3000 Baht/month)

For the home.

It’s quite simple the reason they don’t advocate sharing is its lost revenue and higher use of bandwidth.

Now just think about what you said here. If you share the connection no revenue is lost cause everything above your limit of let's say 750 MB is charged by the MB. They do not loose anything if they allow you to share.

Tell me the difference here; Two neighbors each using a Satellite dish and each getting the minimum of 750MB per month. Payment to Tux 6,000 Baht

Two neighbors both sharing one connection and using 750 MB per month. Income to Tux 6,000 baht, plus the potential of charging for a wireless connection and attracting other customers in the area.

As a matter of fact they could save having to supply a Sat dish within every area. If they were smart they would find a couple potential users and then set up a WIFI Zone within that area with repeaters if required. Infrastructure-wise they would save a bundle.

No I am not available to work on such projects for I am RETIRED :o

as an alternative to wingate as your proxy I have used proxy+, can be secured and have had no problem getting http,ftp.irc,instant messageing ,kazaalite and mail clients to work thru it. I have not tried skype thru it.

because my win98 machine would not run skype ok ( though I have not tried the new 0.93 ver ) I have been using plain old netmeeting to place pc to pc calls, but I do have my firewall set up to ask permission because of its potential to be used to remotely conrtol a machine.

Guest IT Manager
######,

Sounds easy to me too just a couple of Q's? if that's OK.

1. Do you firewall all of this?

2. Do all the workstations have NAT'd IP addresses? or how is the addressing done?

3. Do your providers know English?

Thanks,

HH :o

HI sorry missed the plot and the mssages.

Answers:

1) The ACCTON router is a firewall.

2) Workstations are fixed IP for ease of off-site maintenance.

3) DNS I apply using one in the Thonburi farm.. 202.183.255.20 and 21 for the secondary. It's a better option than the one they give you.

4) All computer words in Thai are English ergo, they speak computer which works just fine.

Guest IT Manager
The pay for it. Corporate and personal have always had two rates. They will also give different levels of service

That answer shows the typical dumb Thai mentality.

If I am going to pay +5000 baht a month for broadband I want to connect my children's computer up as well, plus my own desktop and notebook.

That is still personal use!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Broadband on one machine is a monumental under-use.

Broadband for Thai sites only is a waste of time. There are very few sites in Thailand worth viewing. Even the Thai sites have .com and are overseas, just like the thaivisa.com. It is not economic to host a site in Thailand the CAT/TOT/ISP charge too much, and the bureacracy of registering a site is ridiculous.

The Internet in Thailand is a dead dodo, unless the government takes some speedy action, we are still 20 years behind the rest of the world.

When you apply, never even concern them with the network or they will get all confused.

For a condo, just use a wireless router ($78.00 US), and wireless access cards either USB ($55.00) or PCMCIA for notebooks.

Panthip may be able to to PCI wireless LAN cards, they are available in Thailand, just haven't seen any in CM.

The first problem I had was I told them what I was doing. They spent an hour telling me that I couldrn't run the satellite on a 140 metre LNB cable (it does), I had only one PC available to it, (I have 40),

I couldn't use a 192.168.0 based LAN becaues only 10.0.0 would work (rubbish), and I couldn't use wireless (I do).

Even my house is wireless and that sounds about what you want to do.

Guest IT Manager
I am aware the VOIP for commercial purposes is not permitted and was recently informed that VOIP for private use is only restricted to the service that I have. I checked and found that I can make the ipStar connection work. Where in Thailand can I find a VOIP phone such as a Clarisys I-750H? Software is available all over the net.

What have you tested Voip on with Ipstar? I am keen to review that.

IP phones are available, one of which we tested but we were unable to make it work. I may be able to put you in touch with someone on that.

Tukyleith has VOIP woring ok but due to high packet loss, there is a clarity issus at times. I am told they are wotrking on it. I have seen it working in other countries using Ipstar so I am of the opinion the problem is one of engineers not engineering.

HIH

Guest IT Manager
Have probably the simplest possible system, 1 PC with internet access through IPTV, 5 cascaded 8 port hubs placed throughout the condo, with currently 15 people connected to it.

I run the server under win2000 pro, and use a proxy called wingate. Big advantage of wingate is every client needs to give password to get internet access AND it keeps track of data volume going to each of the PC's (it can also refuse access if somebody uses more then any specified amount)

Main disadvantage is in the IPTV system since it still relies on a modem connection for upload. If it gets disconected and fails to redial there won't be any internet if nobody connects it again...

The IPTV system exists of 2 parts, the modem connection, and once that is established a VPN connection gets established to get the sattelite downlink active.

Wingate can automatically dial a modem if no connection is present, but it can't follow up with the VPN connection, so we're stuck with modemspeed afterwards....

All in all very happy with it, especially considered the price of the IPTV system...

(am on the 1.5Gb package for 3000 Baht/month)

If you have IpTV and are interested, IPSTAR is now being sourced on Thaicom 1 as well.

If you find the upload speed is problematic, or service continuity leaves some to be desired, you could look at IPSTAR as an option now..

Guest IT Manager

For the home.

Now just think about what you said here. If you share the connection no revenue is lost cause everything above your limit of let's say 750 MB is charged by the MB. They do not loose anything if they allow you to share.

Tell me the difference here; Two neighbors each using a Satellite dish and each getting the minimum of 750MB per month. Payment to Tux 6,000 Baht

Two neighbors both sharing one connection and using 750 MB per month. Income to Tux 6,000 baht, plus the potential of charging for a wireless connection and attracting other customers in the area.

As a matter of fact they could save having to supply a Sat dish within every area. If they were smart they would find a couple potential users and then set up a WIFI Zone within that area with repeaters if required. Infrastructure-wise they would save a bundle.

No I am not available to work on such projects for I am RETIRED :o

LAOS use a fair amount of wireless transmission in their Ipstar supply system, but I am not convinced of its' efficacy.

At home we share our internet connection with our neigbour by wireless and works just fine. He shares the monthly bill.

IT

I have been suing IpStar and recently upgrade, however the change in speed was negligible. I get nowhere over 235kbps/98kbps. Anyone else with the same problem? I emailed them and am on standby as usual.

AS for VOIP, I used a normal headset with Voiceglow. Worked great but I want a normal phone. :o

Guest IT Manager

Mouse the first thing you need to do is re-inforce your knowledge of what should happen.

Once they are convinced you get more help. Up until then you are just another stupid farang. Sorry. The people answering the phone are not counted among lifes genii.

Stumonster,

Main reason of using wingate is in being able to keep track of datatraffic. Some of the people on the system are strangers (they rent a room for a couple of days) and they can easily burn 100mb/hour downloading stuff! Unfortunately, Skype doesn't work through wingate.

ITman, the problem is not line of sight towards the Thaicom sattelites (have both UBC and IPTV), but space. My dishes are mounted on the terrace of my condo, of which the size is to small for the IPSTAR dish. As well upload is no problem, only the continuity.

IPTV comes with the Thonburi DNS servers recomended, I'll put them in the IPSTAR system as well and see what gives.

Main difference in both systems seems to be in pinging times, I can't ping below 1000 ms on any US based server with IPSTAR, whereas on IPTV it's in the 400-600ms range. This has the effect of websites loading seemingly slow, eventhough the raw speed is high. I just tested 331Kbps on the pcpitstop speedtest!

PCpitstop's internet connection tests

as an alternative to wingate as your proxy I have used proxy+, can be secured and have had no problem getting http,ftp.irc,instant messageing ,kazaalite and mail clients to work thru it. I have not tried skype thru it.

because my win98 machine would not run skype ok ( though I have not tried the new 0.93 ver ) I have been using plain old netmeeting to place pc to pc calls, but I do have my firewall set up to ask permission because of its potential to be used to remotely conrtol a machine.

I also run Wndows 98 SE, and use the Skype v.0.96. You certaily may install and run the Skype software on win98, refer to the Skype forum.

Try it, and PM me your user name so we can speak.