Work Permit Re-entry Stamp

The re-entry permit has nothing to do with your work permit. You need a re-entry permit if you only have a single entry visa. Also, if you have applied for a renewal of a one-year visa and have the "under consideration" stamp in your passport, you need the permit.

If you leave the country without the re-entry permit, you visa expires -- and so does your work permit.

Personally, I don't like to leave things like this to the last minute. I always go down to Immigration on Suanplu to get a permit. It doesn't take long and I know I'm safe. You can apply at the airport but I don't know what the hours are.

I have a single entry one year work permit. I was told you could get the re-entry stamp at the airport no problem just before you leave. But then I had a premonition of getting to the airport and the office being closed. I'll find out about the office and the hours when I go to the airport and post the details here.

Robittuson, I think you are still confused about this. Generally, a work permit is issued for one year -- as long as the holder also holds a currently valid non-immigrant B visa. There is no such thing as a single entry work permit. Work permits are just that, permits to work in Thailand; they have nothing to do with the entry into the country.

If you have a single entry visa then you need a re entry permit. Conversely, if you have a multiple entry visa, you do not need a permit. With a single entry visa, if you leave the country without the re entry permit, you work permit expires when you leave. When you return, you will need a new visa and to go through the entire process all over again.

Just be sure that the re entry permit is stamped in your passport, not in your work permit.

Edited by lanny

How to get a reentry permit

Explaining reentry permits

If you have an extension of stay in your passport, you will ned a reentry permit if you plan to travel outside Thailand for short period.

The best is to obtain your re-entry permit at Don Muang International Airport, just before Immigration counter. Re-entry Permit counter is on the 3rd floor of Departure Hall, International Passenger Terminal 1. Immigration at Phuket International Airport also provide reentry permits in the departure hall.

FEES: The fee for a re-entry permit is (as per 2003-08-26):

1,000 Baht for single re-entry

3,800 Baht for multiple re-entry

Bring 2 color photos, passport, copy of passport (main page and recent entry stamp). The application form is simple to fill in and at the Airport the waiting time is minimal, approx. 10-20 minutes.

The processing time at Thai Immigration Suan Pluh, can vary from 1 hours to half a day, so if you prefer to queue, apply before lunch so you you can pick it up later the same day.. You can apply in person or via agent (requires Letter of Attorney). Pick up can be done by courier presenting your green receipt.

On your return to Thailand, don't forget to note the reentry permit number on your Immigration arrival card (TM-card) and check that you are stamped in correctly. The latter is very important.

Holders of multiple Non-Immigrant visas do not need re-entry permit, as they will get a new 90 days entry stamp on arrival. You only need reeentry permit if you have a short or long time extension that you want to keep.

................and yes they are open 24 hours (you might have to wake them up though :o)

• 1 month later...

Couple of points about this topic. One slight detail first, only one passport photo is neccessary. The office is definitely open 24 hours but it took me ages to get the re-entry permit when I was there, nearly 40 minutes. So if you're planning to get your permit at the airport then add on this extra time.

Guest deltakid
Couple of points about this topic. One slight detail first, only one passport photo is neccessary. The office is definitely open 24 hours but it took me ages to get the re-entry permit when I was there, nearly 40 minutes. So if you're planning to get your permit at the airport then add on this extra time.

yes i was there 3 days ago and did all that took me 10 minutes. first check your lugage in and then go and get the re entry permit at terminal one.

yes i was there 3 days ago and did all that took me 10 minutes. first check your lugage in and then go and get the re entry permit at terminal one.

Sounds like its hit and miss as too how long it takes.........best to work on 30 mins though :o

Guest deltakid

by the way is there anything special i have to know when i come back to thailand on monday? like keeping a number or something? i think i read something about that but dont really get what i should do...

Edited by deltakid

Hi guys

Do you have to show your plane ticket to get the re-entry stamp ?

The reason i am asking is i am flying out on Sunday morning but am picking friends up from the airport on Thursday. I figure, get it there and then and save the hassle on the Sunday. I wont be getting my plane tickets until the Friday so i cant show them on the Thursday.

Will it be on open on the 6th ?(Thai holiday)

Cheers in advance

Hi guys

Do you have to show your plane ticket to get the re-entry stamp ?

The reason i am asking is i am flying out on Sunday morning but am picking friends up from the airport on Thursday. I figure, get it there and then and save the hassle on the Sunday. I wont be getting my plane tickets until the Friday so i cant show them on the Thursday.

Will it be on open on the 6th ?(Thai holiday)

Cheers in advance

You not only have to have a ticket but you must have checked in for your flight to use the office at Don Muang for a re-entry permit.