B10,500++ Compulsory Nye Dinner. A Record?

Cleveland

Ok so let's say a certain countries airlines start charging a compulsory + 2x fare to fly on Xmas day or new year because a special dinner is on. This would be seen as good business throughout the global industry? Don't talk crap.

Try and buy a ticket to fly from the UK to Thailand either in early April or between 10th and 24th December. You'll find that airlines do indeed charge extra because a special event is on.

What's the additional charge called?

About £150 most years.

That's a seasonal increase in price due to demand rather than a compulsory additional service charge whether you require the service or not?

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, but calling successful self made businessmen and 2 term US presidents "idiots" is a bit idiotic.

I disagree. Both are quite patently idiots. Successful and rich idiots maybe, but still idiots.

Want another example? How about Mr McAfee who has been in the news recently? Also an idiot.

I find posts where people are calling other (very successful) people idiots are meaningless and senseless... but what do I know? - In comparison to these guys I truly am an idiot.smile.png

Your arrogance is legendary.

Edited by tropo

That's a seasonal increase in price due to demand rather than a compulsory additional service charge whether you require the service or not?

Prices always fluctuate on demand. These business are not charities.

I don't suppose you've ever noticed how airline seats go up in price as the flight fills up?

Edited by tropo

Prices always fluctuate on demand. These business are not charities.

I don't suppose you've ever noticed how airline seats go up in price as the flight fills up?

Wow.. do they really? That's like the same as hotels charging more during peak season beacause the hotels are nearly full and stuff like that isn't it? I'd never noticed that, thanks for pointing it out.

Maybe the world's airlines will start forcing passengers to buy compulsory Christmas and NY dinners as an extra that cost the same or more than the initial ticket price too. What excellent business practice what would be.

Wow.. do they really? That's like the same as hotels charging more during peak season beacause the hotels are nearly full and stuff like that isn't it? I'd never noticed that, thanks for pointing it out.

Maybe the world's airlines will start forcing passengers to buy compulsory Christmas and NY dinners as an extra that cost the same or more than the initial ticket price too. What excellent business practice what would be.

You've given up flaming and come back with sarcasm - keep up the good work.

To be honest, going by what you're posting it easy to come to the conclusion that you don't have a clue about how supply and demand works in the market place.

If airlines could charge double by offering a special NYE dinner on flights, they would, but they can't. It's not a very good analogy. Try again.

Edited by tropo

if they give you prior warning before booking the hotel there is a compulsory 10500 dinner then its ok. but if people just booked and find out later without any prior knowledge this is very unfair and illegal in other western countries.

Regardless of prior notice or not it's most likely illegal in western countries due to price gouging/fixing & unfair business practices laws. Which also answers Mr 'supply & demands business laureates' point above.

Edited by frankold

Regardless of prior notice or not it's most likely illegal in western countries due to price gouging/fixing & unfair business practices laws. Which also answers Mr 'supply & demands business laureates' point above.

Of course you would know where this is done and where it's not because you've investigated NYE hotel bookings the world over. You've also contacted a legal firm in your country to see it is is "most likely illegal".

Edited by tropo

You mean don't book into a Pattaya hotel for NYE. I am looking at the Dusit booking page and NO compulsory charge is being added for NYE in the Manila locale but here in Pattaya.. forget about it....

That's right but they don't have the location or view in Manila that you'll have in Pattaya Bay.

What view does D2 have in Pattaya? It's on 2nd road you know.

Hardly - it's after the Dolphon roundabout so it comes off Naklua Road. It has a fine view of Pattaya Bay.

You've confused the old dusit with the new dusit located right next to the avenue.

Dusit d2

Edited by Jayman

Err.. no

Err.... yes!

Dusit Thani Pattaya

x.gif

240/2 Pattaya Beach Road

Ok. Have your driver drop you off at the Dusit Thani on beach road.

After trying to check in and realising you are infact at the wrong hotel. Enjoy your walk back to the Dusit D2 half way along 2nd road. laugh.png

My reply was in relation to the following comment. It should be pretty obvious that I was referring to the Dusit Hotel on the Bay.

" I am looking at the Dusit booking page and NO compulsory charge is being added for NYE in the Manila locale but here in Pattaya.. forget about it...."

Yes and on the dusit website they book rooms for the D2 as well. It is a dusit property and they are charging an extra 3000thb per person for the compulsory Nye fee

Of course you would know where this is done and where it's not because you've investigated NYE hotel bookings the world over. You've also contacted a legal firm in your country to see it is is "most likely illegal".

Of course. But as your the business expert I thought you already knew why this gala dinner rip off is only practiced in a handful of SE Asian countries?

Afterall since it makes such good business sense, every hotel and resort the world over would be forcing a compulsory NYE gala dinner right? :lol:

Perhaps you should stop wasting your time here and goto consult for hotels in other parts of the world and fill them in on what they obviously don't know.

Edited by frankold

I wonder how many people who are staying for NYE at these hotels booked online via Agoda etc. Because if they did then either the dinner can't really be compulsory or they will be getting it "for free".

I just checked the NYE prices at the Marriott in Pattaya o Agoda and its about 8000 baht (I wouldn't pay that, but I also wouldn't be in Pattaya on NYE....thats for suckers) which is less than the price for the comulsory dnner at the Sheraton. Does that mean those who booked the Sheraton online must have paid 16000 baht for their nights's stay, as it would have included 10k's worth of NYE dinner.

Or, would checking in guests be forced to pay 10k more or be thrown out into the street?

Ok so let's say a certain countries airlines start charging a compulsory + 2x fare to fly on Xmas day or new year because a special dinner is on. This would be seen as good business throughout the global industry? Don't talk crap.

Airlines do charge more during peak times. Haven't you ever noticed that?

Airlines do charge more during peak times. Haven't you ever noticed that?

Not as a compulsory additional service charge on top of the initial ticket they don't.

A ticket price or room charge regardless of the amount is for the ticket or room. It's not an additional compulsory service fee levied as an excuse to inflate prices even more.

Edited by frankold

I wonder how many people who are staying for NYE at these hotels booked online via Agoda etc. Because if they did then either the dinner can't really be compulsory or they will be getting it "for free".

I just checked the NYE prices at the Marriott in Pattaya o Agoda and its about 8000 baht (I wouldn't pay that, but I also wouldn't be in Pattaya on NYE....thats for suckers) which is less than the price for the comulsory dnner at the Sheraton. Does that mean those who booked the Sheraton online must have paid 16000 baht for their nights's stay, as it would have included 10k's worth of NYE dinner.

Or, would checking in guests be forced to pay 10k more or be thrown out into the street?

So to make your point you're comparing the booking price of the Marriot on Agoda with the price of the compulsory dinner at the Sheraton.whistling.gifwhistling.gif

So to make your point you're comparing the booking price of the Marriot on Agoda with the price of the compulsory dinner at the Sheraton.whistling.gifwhistling.gif

Not quite, no.

My point was that normally they are about the same price....so if the Marriott is 8k on NYE then Id expect the Sheraton to be similar. But if the Sheraton has a 10k compulsory dinner then they would be charging 8k + 10k = 18k (roughly). And I can't imagine anyone on Agoda etc deciding to pay 18k when they could choose the Marriott for 8k.

So, Im saying this idea of a 10k compulsory dinner doesnt really make sense, unless of course they totally shut down their online booking ability for NYE.

Not quite, no.

My point was that normally they are about the same price....so if the Marriott is 8k on NYE then Id expect the Sheraton to be similar. But if the Sheraton has a 10k compulsory dinner then they would be charging 8k + 10k = 18k (roughly). And I can't imagine anyone on Agoda etc deciding to pay 18k when they could choose the Marriott for 8k.

So, Im saying this idea of a 10k compulsory dinner doesnt really make sense, unless of course they totally shut down their online booking ability for NYE.

So to make it easy, why don't you check the NYE price of the Sheraton on Agoda. No need to make assumptions.

Not quite, no.

It looks like they've either shut down online bookings or they're booked out.

Not quite, no.

Wow, I just clicked on one of the 5* hotels advertsing a 16k per night charge for NYE and once you go to the booking stage it does indeed state that there is a compulsory dinner. Whats worse is I have a suspicion that for the Royal Cliff the dinner is in addition to the room charge, so that total would be more like 28k....would need to type my cc info to find out (no, I won't be doing that) but the prices are shown separately so looks like you pay the 28k ish.

And by the way, they have a lot or rooms available for this special deal.

Not quite, no.

Wow, I just clicked on one of the 5* hotels advertsing a 16k per night charge for NYE and once you go to the booking stage it does indeed state that there is a compulsory dinner. Whats worse is I have a suspicion that for the Royal Cliff the dinner is in addition to the room charge, so that total would be more like 28k....would need to type my cc info to find out (no, I won't be doing that) but the prices are shown separately so looks like you pay the 28k ish.

No way they still have rooms available for that deal. It has been stated over and over again by members in the knowledge that this practice is a genious Thai business sense and and all hotels are fully booked. Edited by jbrain

Not quite, no.

No way they still have rooms available for that deal. It has been stated over and over again by members in the knowledge that this practice is a genious Thai business sense and and all hotels are fully booked.

Thai's are indeed geniuses....if there are more unbooked rooms tomorrow then they will just double the room price to 16k and treble the compulsory dinner to 30k....and if any falang customers later dare to complain then a mob of righeous staff will simply beat them into a pulp until they can't speak anymore, after which they will be arrested for assault

We went to the Hard Rock a couple of years ago and the the nett price of their compulsory NYE dinner was 7500, it was just about ok and you had to chase them up for drinks.

The free flow didn't carry onto the festivities by the pool where they were charging high prices for drinks and even frisking people to ensure they didn't bring drinks with them - I thought that was a disgrace.

We are staying at the Hard Rock over Christmas, and I noticed the compulsory NYE dinner is now 8,500++ and the free flow drinks has been replaced by only two drinks.

I wonder how many customers they actually drive away.

So you don't learn very quick, then. tongue.png

It's more or less pure and simple blackmail. It would be funny if all the punters checked out for the night and then re-registered the next day.

It's not good business because those who object to such extortion will be unlikely to return in future. Now if it was a matter of choice as opposed to being compulsory it would be a different proposition altogether

It's more or less pure and simple blackmail. It would be funny if all the punters checked out for the night and then re-registered the next day.

It's not good business because those who object to such extortion will be unlikely to return in future. Now if it was a matter of choice as opposed to being compulsory it would be a different proposition altogether

It IS a matter of choice. You don't HAVE to stay at a hotel that has a "compulsory" NYE party.

We went to the Hard Rock a couple of years ago and the the nett price of their compulsory NYE dinner was 7500, it was just about ok and you had to chase them up for drinks.

The free flow didn't carry onto the festivities by the pool where they were charging high prices for drinks and even frisking people to ensure they didn't bring drinks with them - I thought that was a disgrace.

We are staying at the Hard Rock over Christmas, and I noticed the compulsory NYE dinner is now 8,500++ and the free flow drinks has been replaced by only two drinks.

I wonder how many customers they actually drive away.

So you don't learn very quick, then. tongue.png

I don't learn very quick?

Maybe I'm a bit slow but I don't understand your reply, would you be kind enough to enlighten me?

This is not just a Pattaya thing as all 5 star and most 4 star and even a couple 3 star hotels in Thailand are doing this

A few weeks ago was going through many of the websites, normally will start with Latestays.com and then compare with hotels own website

Was checking for beach side hotels in Pattaya, Hua Hin, Cha Am and Pranburi....

Normally we like to get a couple of rooms at 5 star hotels for family trips, but are not big drinkers and do not normally do the NYE countdown things, as the kids are still young.

Could not find a single 5 star hotel in any of the above locations that did not have a mandatory NYE Gala diner. Also almost every 4 star that still had rooms available also seemed to have the same.

After hours of searching I found a 4 star in Pranburi that did not have mandatory NYE gala diner, but te hotel would not accept online or booking directly with hotel reception, had to call their Bangkok booking office next day during business hours

This is even more absurd that calling it "greed and obsession". Now you're calling people who can afford this level of service "idiots". I wouldn't call anyone who has that type of money to blow on a NYE party an "idiot". Idiots don't usually walk around with that amount of spare cash.

I'd say you're envious.

There are people on this planet with money to burn and if they wish to burn through their cash by spending extravagantly, that's their choice - but don't call these people idiots.

To give an extreme example. How much do you think Donald Trump will spend on his NYE celebrations. Shall we call him an idiot too?

I don't think too many people on tight budgets would be spending 35K on NYE celebrations just to impress someone.

Not so.

Fundamentally, I agree that people should not harp on about the spending of others but in relation to these gala dinners, the important point you are missing is the word "compulsory".

Now you could argue that paying Bt7000 or so a night to stay in a room over Xmas and New Year is wasteful or silly or even cheap but there is no obligation to throw $1000 or so on the fire, even if you want to go and meet friends for a burger and chips.

If course, you may argue that staying at the hotel incurs this charge and it is known about beforehand but that is a weak excuse because it is gouging guests and I feel it does drive many away. I will not pay it, though I have a number of times made a reservation and not had to pay it. It is quite a Chinese Thai thing really.