Ubon Jungle Park

chris26be

By Jungle Park i imagined it would be like a National Park with walking trials and nature, not tigers in tiny concrete cages and ferro cement structures representing somebody's concepts of natural Africa. I misunderstood the title and i am sure the Thais will love their zoo but i will wipe it from my "must see" list .

• 2 weeks later...

Where exactly is this place. I heard it was on the Yasothon road so I drove up Hwy 23 towards Yasothon as far as Khueng Nai and didnt see any signs for it. Can anyone give more detailed directions for this place. Im thinking about going for a drive there on the weekend.

Where exactly is this place. I heard it was on the Yasothon road so I drove up Hwy 23 towards Yasothon as far as Khueng Nai and didnt see any signs for it. Can anyone give more detailed directions for this place. Im thinking about going for a drive there on the weekend.

Mate

Goodle earth you can look here

15°17'2.88"N

104°48'29.91"E

But it will be NOT open around April but exact date is not yet know as Royal's are bit busy and not available for opening ceremony

I been following it since they start to building it and getting almost there and it's kind of open when one happen to be in tha gate right time, but official opening ceremony will be somewhere in April

So yes it's from ubon with HW23 towards Khueng Nai and as soon you get 1st bit lower down section of the road and as you remember there is the bridge ove the river, BUT JUST BEFOR that and just BEFORE where the road turns left there is opening where you can cross the road to RIGHT and that is where ex seafood restarant was, now gone and next on the left is gold driving range and follow the road straight and then comes the diffucult part to turn LEFT and carefully on the roads as they are still not made compleltly and there is only one sign just fron of the Zoo, but look in google earth and you can find the way as well

Cheers

Very clearly marked with numerous signs. Drive up Jaengsanit Road, cross the ring road drive about 1 km straight on towards Khung Nai. Before the twin bridges that go over Huai Chaeramae turn right up a small incline and go straight on and follow the signs. The park is in Ubon city up behind the cancer hospital etc.

Do they need some British or American monkeys there? Some species from the Philippines are also available. Please page me, if so....coffee1.gif

Don't get mad with them. They just suspended you for one week, because some of them don't know what they do.

Happened to a friend of mine, no posting rights for ten days, without any notice. There're people and people. Some of them are strange.

Beside that, the British primates come from Gibraltar, American primates will come from a zoo in San Diego/ Cal.The ones from the Philippines will arrive from a zoo in Manila.

Edited by lostinisaan

• 3 months later...

Here's a few more pictures. I made a map here. It's still under construction. The elephant, reptile and fish exhibits still aren't finished but we thought it was worth the 300b to rent a golf cart for an hour. Our son had a blast and we enjoyed the ride through the forest. An hour is about all the time you need.

post-103222-0-96033100-1367114848_thumb.post-103222-0-07992700-1367114837_thumb.post-103222-0-84680600-1367114822_thumb.post-103222-0-75659900-1367114812_thumb.post-103222-0-70844000-1367114796_thumb.post-103222-0-20265400-1367114719_thumb.post-103222-0-38819100-1367114736_thumb.post-103222-0-78104800-1367114757_thumb.post-103222-0-74108900-1367114771_thumb.post-103222-0-78480800-1367114787_thumb.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Ubon is my hometown but I've never visited many nice places around here...what a shame! lol. Would be nice to get an update on this place too smile.png

Saw a billboard this morning advertising a forthcoming attraction - didn't give a date; an albino wallaby giant anteater.

My wife took our 4-y-o granddaughter last month - she loved it; talked about it for the rest of the day and also to her teacher next day (the granddaughter that is, although the wife enjoyed it too)!

• Like 1

Ubon is my hometown but I've never visited many nice places around here...what a shame! lol. Would be nice to get an update on this place too :)

Saw a billboard this morning advertising a forthcoming attraction - didn't give a date; an albino wallaby giant anteater.

My wife took our 4-y-o granddaughter last month - she loved it; talked about it for the rest of the day and also to her teacher next day (the granddaughter that is, although the wife enjoyed it too)!

Cool. I'll have to check it out sometimes. Thanks for the info. ;)

• 3 weeks later...

My wife and I visited Ubon Ratchathani Zoo yesterday. So here is an update.

As we knew the park isn't finished yet, we didn't expect too much of it.

Since 12 July visitors have to pay an entrance fee. Thai pay 70 Baht, foreigners 100 Baht. Pay 1 get 1 free. We paid 140 Baht for the two us. I don't know why. I didn't ask and just paid.

After parking your car you cab choose to visit the 'animal zone' in an open bus (20 Baht, to be paid near the bus stop) or by driving a golf cart yourself (300 Baht). If you don't understand Thai, you'd better choose for the golf cart, as you don't understand anything the bus driver is explaining. What's more, driving the golf cart, you can stop whereever you like and you can take better pictures.

As I said before the zoo isn't finished yet. A map of the zoo, which you can get at the information desk, mentions about 35 different species. At the moment I guess they only have about 10 different species. So no bears yet, or monkeys, hyenas, buffalos, rhino, elephants... The information leaflet tells me the purpose is to have Ubon Ratchathani Zoo ready for ASEAN (2015). We will certainly go back then.

As mentioned by other posters you reach Ubon Ratchathani Zoo by highway 23 (direction Yasothon), and turn right just before lake Huai Chaeramae (Road 6105). From there roadsigns in Thai and English will lead you to the zoo.

Edited by chris26be

Since 12 July visitors have to pay an entrance fee. Thai pay 70 Baht, foreigners 100 Baht. Pay 1 get 1 free. We paid 140 Baht for the two us. I don't know why. I didn't ask and just paid.

After parking your car you cab choose to visit the 'animal zone' in an open bus (20 Baht, to be paid near the bus stop) or by driving a golf cart yourself (300 Baht). If you don't understand Thai, you'd better choose for the golf cart, as you don't understand anything the bus driver is explaining. What's more, driving the golf cart, you can stop whereever you like and you can take better pictures.

As I said before the zoo isn't finished yet. A map of the zoo, which you can get at the information desk, mentions about 35 different species. At the moment I guess they only have about 10 different species. So no bears yet, or monkeys, hyenas, buffalos, rhino, elephants... The information leaflet tells me the purpose is to have Ubon Ratchathani Zoo ready for ASEAN (2015). We will certainly go back then.

As mentioned by other posters you reach Ubon Ratchathani Zoo by highway 23 (direction Yasothon), and turn right just before lake Huai Chaeramae (Road 6105). From there roadsigns in Thai and English will lead you to the zoo.

Sorry for asking the obvious, but what animals ARE there to be seen?

Sorry for asking the obvious, but what animals ARE there to be seen?

Sounds like Khorat zoo is better. More to see -finished, cheaper admission, golf cars at 300bt the same...BUT you also have free admission to the water park -the kids love it!

• Like 1

Sounds like Khorat zoo is better. More to see -finished, cheaper admission, golf cars at 300bt the same...BUT you also have free admission to the water park -the kids love it!

But it's not a convenient day out with the kids if you live in Ubon :-)

10 species? They have more than that in Sisaket zoo (although most of them seem to be deers and monkies of one sort or another and birds of many varieties). Have bears and crocs and maybe a moth-eaten lion (can't remember). They also have a deformed animal nursing area - see whether it makes you go "aaaahhh" or "yeeuuk!" I tended to the latter.

Can't say that I recommend Sisaket zoo - facilities are a bit rundown and cramped for bigger things like the bears and some of the ostriches look very moth eaten. A cageful of Brahminy kites could do with liberation - you can see them in the sky flying free in much nicer surroundings at Huai Wang Nong and Khong Jiam in Meuang Ubon and changwat Ubon (river Mekong) respectively.

It doesn't worry my 3 year old though, who loves the place (almost as much as Lotus play pens!).

Sisaket zoo does have a niceish setting in a big country park with a pleasant 200m stroll through a park of formal trees and gardens to a fish laden moat to cross to get to into the zoo. Cheap too - 40baht for adults and 20 for kids - no falang premiumclap2.gif. No karts or tours - it's pretty condensed and 60 to 90 minutes stroll is sufficient unless you are an afficionado.

Meuang Sisaket is not the biggest of towns, but the zoo is difficult to find - there are no English signs and most locals looked a bit blank when asked by my Thai older daughter. Can post directions if anyone is interested, but there is probably already a post doing that on Thia visa if you google it.

Edited by SantiSuk