Plane Spotting - The Quiz

David48

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was originally built by 'de Havilland Canada' the built by Boeing in 1988 then built by Bombardier. The aircraft type is still in production, but not this series.

Then I will go with a Dash 8 for my guess
Yep -

Which series?

300 series.

Now ... I have some sad news to report ... there is no Nok Calendar photo for the month of May (well, not that I can find anyway).

So ... instead I have this for you ... VJ-bikini.jpg

Viet Jet ... got to love their pluck ... rolleyes.gif

OK will put you out of your misery smile.png .

Look at the photo, bottom right of panel. It is a Ki-Gas pump that the pilot would pump gas into a cold engine to help start it. My one came out of a (sadly) downed Hawker Hurricane during WW2. Spitfire's also had the same pump. Designs did change over the years. Oh, also they were used in tanks with the Merlin V12 engine.

attachicon.gifKi gas.jpg

smile.png

Commonly known as a primer. Still used today.

with the pic is post #1107 (the last pic) try taking it again, not in your hand, about 40cm away, then zoom in and capture that. I have put p some low res crap pics, but I had no choice. I cant read it. Interesting non the less.

Some time smokers ash trays have amazing history as well.

I have a bunch of light aircraft taken in Thailand here ,,,,,,,somewhere, will start posting.

Edited by Chao Lao Beach

Thanks for that SVB.

Looking at the variants ... I presume then the Vietnam Airlines was a A321 and not the A320?

My info on that one was a bit limited.

Cheers.

The quickest way is to learn the exits for the 320 vrs 321 & the 321 just looks much longer.

*not work mutt on the 318-19 but. they are much harder to tell at any distance.

It was originally built by 'de Havilland Canada' the built by Boeing in 1988 then built by Bombardier. The aircraft type is still in production, but not this series.

Then I will go with a Dash 8 for my guess
Yep -

Which series?

300 series.

^ Did we get an answer on this one? ^

It is a Dash8-100 series. (-102) Here is a link to an image of the type.

It is a short one. Typical passengers of 36.

This one was operated in cargo configuration.

The other short one is the -200 series, basically it has the larger 300 donks on a small frame, it is nicer to operate than the clumsy common -300 56 seater that drags it arse around the skies.

The -400 is a different beast.

Edited by Chao Lao Beach

with the pic is post #1107 (the last pic) try taking it again, not in your hand, about 40cm away, then zoom in and capture that. I have put p some low res crap pics, but I had no choice. I cant read it. Interesting non the less.

Some time smokers ash trays have amazing history as well.

I have a bunch of light aircraft taken in Thailand here ,,,,,,,somewhere, will start posting.

The item has now been sold on, as has everything else l had sad.png , you can guess why. bah.gif

You had to pay a big vet bill? Good guess?

Defiantly not a 401/402, (I did 800+ hours on 402's many decades ago, some things you just came forget damn it !!!!! )

When driving past I thought it was a C340 (which I think it is very likely is) but I really wonder if it is a early model 421 with 4 windows. Could be by a long shot a 414 but I really don't think so. It defiantly had piston intakes this plane. I wonder if it is a victim of the SIDS program. It killed many 400's in the last 5 years.

It had HS-SPA on is fuse.

I will have a look tommorow for a more positive ID myself but going with the C340 for now unless proven otherwise.

It was taken in Rayong, (South of Chonburi and north of Chanthaburi) ont he Rayong by-pass on the western side, same road and Big C and Makro.

Edited by Chao Lao Beach

Cessna 340?

I think so tywais.

It is actually the mains on the wing tips, the AUX are outboard the donks and if installed, the 5 & 6th tanks is in the lockers behind the donks.

I remember do a 8.8hr single flight in one of these so top cover on a SAR flight (sitting up 'high" to provide a radio relay for about 10 other machines several way off shore at 200' doing grids. Had rafts, beacons, flares and all the goodies ready to duck down and drop if they found anyone. (I remember as it was a bloody slow stressful trip back as weather closed in !!) That was by far the longest trip in a 402 I ever did.

All been replaced by serious hard-ware now, Dash-8 size machines decked out with all the glory. I still think it is hard to go past a B200 for value for money for SAR work.

Edited by Chao Lao Beach