Plane Spotting - The Quiz

David48

A trick Question?

that Singapore B772

Is it one of the B777-200ER

or on of the fleet that left the factory as an ER but was derated to a -200 and operated as a -200 (for the short Asian routes).

PS, I don't know the answer to this?

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, the A310 then. Do they still have that. I thought they got rid of it. These are used for Royalty as well I was told, (source was a bit dodgy though)

Come to think of it, its lines are to pleasant to the eye to be a Ugly 319.

Edited by Chao Lao Beach

A trick Question?

that Singapore B772

or on of the fleet that left the factory as an ER but was derated to a -200 and operated as a -200 (for the short Asian routes).

Mate, I'm not sure 100% what the question is.

Here is some more reference, if that helps ...

Let me know if I need to search some more.

Cheers ... wai.gif

Also ... please ... contribute your photos and images ... I have only a few left in my draw!

Make and model...

Bonus points for the interesting fact about this bird...

Airbus C319 CJ (Corporate Jet).

Manufacturer is correct, but the rest is a bit short of the mark...

Sure does match this though - http://www.planespotters.net/Aviation_Photos/photo.show?id=382296

//edit - sorry, nose is completely wrong so the A310.

I am 899% sure I got it wrong just jumping to the 319. I have never seen the 310, but this pic is a A310.

A trick Question?

that Singapore B772

Cheers ... wai.gif

Also ... please ... contribute your photos and images ... I have only a few left in my draw!

It doesn't matter, prob best to kill it here but to to clear, SQ has 13 B777-200ER and it got another 18 B777-200ER that were derated and operated to a B777-200.

These are used on the shorter routes and carry 50 more pax. The ultra long haul ones are limited by the huge amount of fuel they need, so the by product is less seats and more leg room !!! Up to about 9 hours they would use the -200, over that the -200ER with less pax.

If they need to, they could always convert them back to a -200ER (apparently).

Sure does match this though - http://www.planespotters.net/Aviation_Photos/photo.show?id=382296

//edit - sorry, nose is completely wrong so the A310.

I am 899% sure I got it wrong just jumping to the 319. I have never seen the 310, but this pic is a A310.

And I conceded defeat in my edit above. biggrin.png Been too distracted and for some reason focused on the last half of the plane and the stabilizer and wing tips were identical. Some of the most telling differences can be found on the nose, and the difference there between the two with the A319 a bit more 'pointy' then in your photo of the A310. But they sure are close.

//edit - an error in my original and should been A319 not C319

CLB is correct that it is an Airbus A310-324... That's right boys and girls, it is a P&W donked bird ;)

Belonging to the RTAF, the bonus point was for the registration of the aircraft - it has 2 - one civilian and one military. HS-TYQ (civilian) and 60202 (military), with the military rego being shared with HS-TYR (A319CJ) as shown in Tywais earlier guess.

Why that is, I have no idea.

She's still in service as far as I can tell...

No interest in my Avro. ? sad.png

I really don't know much about that, except seeing some good documentaries. Avro Lancaster (wiki).

Off subject, when I read Avro, My first thoughts was the Avro Arrow (wiki) with more pics here. This is a modern day amazing success story that every Canadian should be proud of and every American should still be angry about.

The only consolation is that the team that designed this, were snapped up by Boeing and designed the B737 as a kind of group project. So there you go, the 37 was mainly designed and developed by Canadians employed by Boeing.

Just a note in Davids post #1170, that B777 Singapore cockpit, his foot up reminded me of the comfort of a Boeing. Be it a tiny comfort !!!

Airbus has heaps of room to put your feet up, but you are not allowed to, rules, rules and more bloody rules. Boeing knows that pilots will and make it strong so you can and makes little guards :)

Here is a Dash (That was built by Boeing for 2 years) & here is an old dash, the grey paint scuff is from the co-pilots right foot. Many a machine actually have sticker of a foot indicating where the engineers want you to rest your foot on the panel.

A trick Question?

that Singapore B772

Cheers ... wai.gif

It doesn't matter, prob best to kill it here but to to clear, SQ has 13 B777-200ER and it got another 18 B777-200ER that were derated and operated to a B777-200.

These are used on the shorter routes and carry 50 more pax. The ultra long haul ones are limited by the huge amount of fuel they need, so the by product is less seats and more leg room !!! Up to about 9 hours they would use the -200, over that the -200ER with less pax.

There's confusion on which actual aircraft we were spotting, but either way you were probably right.

David has it as 9V-SGH, and has linked to this page for reference.

Only thing is, 9V-SGH doesn't exist, and the aircraft the link goes to has been incorrectly identified as 9V-SGH.

The rego on the aircraft in that link is actually 9V-SQH - which was originally delivered as a 777-212ER, but was flying as a 777-200 when it was last on the register.

It is now flying with Scoot as 9V-OTE

The original cockpit photo posted for the spotting was 9V-SRF - which the link provided shows as a 777-212ER, but which Singapore Airlines operates as a 777-200.

Anyone else confused yet?? I certainly am. biggrin.png

There's confusion on which actual aircraft we were spotting, but either way you were probably right.

David has it as 9V-SGH, and has linked to this page for reference.

Only thing is, 9V-SGH doesn't exist, and the aircraft the link goes to has been incorrectly identified as 9V-SGH.

The rego on the aircraft in that link is actually 9V-SQH - which was originally delivered as a 777-212ER, but was flying as a 777-200 when it was last on the register.

It is now flying with Scoot as 9V-OTE

The original cockpit photo posted for the spotting was 9V-SRF - which the link provided shows as a 777-212ER, but which Singapore Airlines operates as a 777-200.

Anyone else confused yet?? I certainly am. biggrin.png

Firstly ... I have run out of 'likes' (I have to speak to a Mod about that ... laugh.png ) and will return later today and say thank-you.

Now I fully understand what SVB is on about and CLB alluded to ... I made a small but important mistake.

For me ... you guys are just so good that I have to think of ways to make it more interesting and search from complementary images sometimes to kick the spotting off.

So, for this, I searched out a cockpit photo of a 777-212ER ... which I believed the plane to be. Then I had to save that photo to the computer, remove the author and crop it a bit so that it couldn't be 'Google photo searched' and kick # 051 off with it.

I'll triple check the info before posting again.

So, thanks for the conversation and accept my apologies ... wai.gif

I pour my 2nd coffee1.gif now and go work up # 052.

# 052

These birds all look a like in this variant, but I'm going to go with an MD-83...

Close ... seriously ... whistling.gif

Close indeed, I'll claim it was a typo and meant to put MD-82 tongue.png

Belonging to Orient Thai as well wink.png

So ... hopefully some better luck with this one!

I have it as an Orient Thai Airlines McDonnell Douglas MD-82

post-104736-0-90204800-1368731985_thumb.

REGO HS-MDK

post-104736-0-69803900-1368732096_thumb.

Well Done Mr Smith ... clap2.gif

No apologies necessary David - I enjoyed the SQ detection work last night (yes I was at a very loose end)
I'm blaming Chao Lao Beach for posing the 777-200 vs 777-200ER questions, I love a good challenge biggrin.png

Keep 'em coming, although I don't think I'll be going to such lengths next time w00t.gif

The back left machine I believe is a Cessna 337 Super Skymaster. I have never seen this fly ever, easy to ID it from the ground, as it has a pink vertical fins. Other C337 I see regularly, these are operated by the Thai Navy.

Are these others C208A or C208B Grand Caravans?

I understand that the Rain makers in Thailand do use them and they are in the same color scheme as these.

I am really not sure if these are operated by them though. These are used every week, to fly "officials" down to the beach on Fridays and they depart on late Sunday afternoon. I presumed they are operated by the Navy as well as they seemed to be all Navy guys, there has never been any mention of rain making. I think that this is an excuse to drop by again maybe and find out more, wink.png

Edited by Chao Lao Beach

CLB,

According to "my research", they're 208Bs...

Found this Facebook page as well which gives a bit more insight...

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Department-of-Royal-Rainmaking-and-Agricultural-Aviations-flyers/392766360819122

As for the Skymaster, I didn't even see it until I saw your comment about it and I was like "there's only 3 birds in this photo" hahaha

I call they are C208A not the lengthened, now common Grand Caravan C208B. Apart from looking shorter, these have 5 passenger windows (don't count the pilots window) where the C208B has 7. You can be sure that if you are looking at a C208 on floats / (anphibs) before this year it is a A model as well. It was only Jan this year that the C208B EX was certified which is allowed to be a floaty. All indications are that it is even a bigger water pig than the A model, A grand water hog eh.

1 aftermarket AD is to replace the PT6 with a Garret, like <deleted> is that about?

Another was, and I am not sure if it was ever certified, but I know it flew, was a multi engine PT6 set up, driving 1 gearbox prop. (Some people have to much money eh!) Edit: Here it is, the multi. (wiki)

Image below is not a guess. Info below.

1216586M.jpg

Source and more info here.

& here

Edited by Chao Lao Beach

No interest in my Avro. ? sad.png

I really don't know much about that, except seeing some good documentaries. Avro Lancaster (wiki).

Off subject, when I read Avro, My first thoughts was the Avro Arrow (wiki) with more pics here. This is a modern day amazing success story that every Canadian should be proud of and every American should still be angry about.

The only consolation is that the team that designed this, were snapped up by Boeing and designed the B737 as a kind of group project. So there you go, the 37 was mainly designed and developed by Canadians employed by Boeing.

Another view.

attachicon.gifdam.jpg

Super stuff. thumbsup.gif

I was on one of these a few years back.I think there's only 3 left flying in the world today.It was pretty cramped inside.Had to climb over several bulkheads to net from the back to the front.Awesome machine though.I'll see if I still have the photos.