Government Savings Bank

A new GSB branch is about to open in the town, we already have a BAAC branch but none of the main Thai banks. Anyone have any dealings with GSB?, can a foreigner open savings accounts with ATM card etc. Do they provide immigration letters?. I did not learn much from their website, I noticed they have a SWIFT code, nothing about what they offer.

May not come to much and I still will have to drive 50 odd km's round trip to the nearest Bangkok Bank for main banking services. Well the BAAC does have an ATM machine and a long time back we had a mobile bank.

Cheers

No luck opening account in Bkk with retirement extension. Tried several branches and in every one received the same rude denial In fact, they laughed at me and showed me door at Central World branch. They speak no English and go out of their way to mistreat farang.

Hope you have better luck in your city. Let us know.

first time i went along to gsb.they refused to open a savings acc.the wf told dm.she had phoned the hot-line and was told i could,so she phoned head office they told her no problem mrs.meat your husband is welcome,next day went along to the branch come in sir was the reply how much do you want to deposit.reqirements letter of proof of residence,passport,tax id,driving licence.

head office no.02-2998000,ext.020267

be aware that the 3.30% fixed for 399days is only available till 31st dec.

Agree with Hedghog and Meatboy. I have opened the 3.3% account which is a Long term savings ie 13 months. You can take money out anytime but then receive a reduced interest on the money taken out. They will set up another account for you to move the money into once the 13 months is over. I found them to be very friendly and polite. Of course it helps if you do not walk in like a King Turd and demand things. I was very impressed and my dealings with them make Kbank look a bit sad. They also provide the 12 month extension of stay bank letter. And you can link your account to an ATM.

cheers

They speak no English and go out of their way to mistreat farang.

How dare they not speak english..the last I looked English is not an offical language of Thailand, and seeing as they dont speak English, how do you know they are mistreating farang, do they hit people with a stick or something when a farang walks in the door ?

You never know they maybe having the same conversation in the bank about you...farang walks in the door and speaks no Thai...rolleyes.gif

No luck opening account in Bkk with retirement extension. Tried several branches and in every one received the same rude denial In fact, they laughed at me and showed me door at Central World branch. They speak no English and go out of their way to mistreat farang.

Hope you have better luck in your city. Let us know.

I don't have an account, but my wife does. I have gone into the one in town to deposit money for my wife. I am always greeted with a smile.

In Pattaya I found the GSB to be the least friendly or helpful of all the banks I went to.

I think it all depends on which branch you go to and which way the wind is blowing, as is usually the case with banks and offices here.

Because it's a government entity, not a commercial bank. The people who work there couldn't care less if you open an account or not. They're not vying for your business like the regular banks are.