Question About K-1 Visa To The Us.

Today I mailed the paperwork for a K-1 Visa. The website indicates a 5 month wait to determine elegibility before the application will be forwarded to the Bangkok Embassy.

Anybody have recent experience with this? Is that a realistic time frame? How long does the proccess take after the application is forwarded to the Embassy?

Obviousy we are a little dishartened to learned she may not get here until late fall. I was hopeing she would get a chance to see what the area is like before it all gets covered in snow.

Edited by slowlyman

Depends on which service center your petition will be forwarded to. Vermont is running about 184 days to petition approval, and California is running about 122 days. That is only the time until your petition is approved. It will still need to go to NVC for a few days after that, and then on to the Bangkok Embassy. Once the petition arrives at the U.S. Embassy in Bangkok, you are looking at roughly another 60 days until the interview. So I'd say minimum 6 months from now, maximum 9 months from now to have the visa in hand. Depending on what state you reisde in the U.S. determines which service center in the U.S. your petition will be processed. Hope this helps.

Edited by daboyz1

• 2 weeks later...

I just received an email today from USCIS that my 129-F was approved. I mailed the application mid June, 2012. They confirmed they received it a week or so later. I didn't hear anything until December, when I got a request for evidence. I was able to fill out everything, but I needed a signed and dated letter from my fiance that she intended to marry me within 90 days of arrival. She sent a letter, but it was unsigned. She had made two copies, signed one, but mailed the unsigned one. It takes almost two weeks for mail from Thailand to the US. So that delayed the whole process by almost a month I would guess...

I am a California resident, but I also have a house in Thailand, where I am now. They told me they can't mail the notice out of the US when I called to do an address change. They said they would email it to me, but I have only received notices about their decision, not the actual information I need to proceed. So now I need to call them again to find out if they can email me the approval notice or if I need to have a friend pick up my mail scan it and email it to me. The fun never stops!

Edited by Jimi007