Some Questions

Kozz

I've read about some months the air is really polluted there. Is it really that bad?

During rain season, does it only rains a couple hours a day? And does the city get flooded?

In what conditions are the roads?

Is there a site or something to see as to what activities u can do there?

I've read about some months the air is really polluted there. Is it really that bad?

Yes Particularly March and February.

During rain season, does it only rains a couple hours a day? And does the city get flooded?

yes a couple hours a day. Most years no flood and when there is one it is not the whole city just a part by the river.

In the city OK. highways OK but back roads can be not so good.

Lonely Planet Guide book.

• Like 2

Good answers above. From my opinion I could add the following:

Yes Particularly March and February.

I would say 'No', except March when it's quite bad most years, and in some years the latter part of February can also be bad. First half of February though is still regular cool season, which is a very nice time to be here. But don't visit in March. Pollution ends in early April, but the weather is still very hot that month. Second half of May and June onwards are again good times to visit.

yes a couple hours a day. Most years no flood and when there is one it is not the whole city just a part by the river.

Almost the whole rainy season it only rains for an hour or two in the late afternoon or early evening. Exception is often September (and sometimes early October) which can be VERY wet, to the point of impacting your activities. So I would also avoid September for a holiday in Chiang Mai.

In the city OK. highways OK but back roads can be not so good.

Roads are very good, including almost all back roads. It's actually hard to find an unpaved mountain road these days. Take a look at Google Streetview and see for yourself. http://goo.gl/maps/fubMS Back road example: http://goo.gl/maps/8M7uA (but then you're quite far up a hill.)

Lonely Planet Guide book.

Yes, best to get a guide book. The Tripadvisor site can also be helpful, though it's run by nazis. Another good site is http://www.travelfis..._mai/chiang_mai

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Those are good general answers by Dolly and Winnie, but all you can do is go by the averages and take a chance. Not everyone worries about the air polution or the rain. There are other interesting things to do to occupy your time. Specific questions can be answered in any one of the many forums here. Weather is never totally predictable anywhere except possibly the Gobi desert, or either of the Poles, where you can rule out rain.

• Like 1

are we really goin to give the poor guy the lonely planet as a guild has any one ever seen the thailand one ?

makes harry potter look biographical

i sat with a few back packers once i dont do it often dont worry they all sat round it like it was a camp fire every two mins some fact according the whole grail would

be banded at me like why have you tipped the waitress you dont tip in thailand look it says so here lol and you can get from one end of the city

to the other in a tuk tuk for no more that 30 bat was this thing printed in 1976 and republished every year after its a bout a 1000 bat a copy

i think it makes toilet paper look very reasonable

are we really goin to give the poor guy the lonely planet as a guild has any one ever seen the thailand one ?

makes harry potter look biographical

i sat with a few back packers once i dont do it often dont worry they all sat round it like it was a camp fire every two mins some fact according the whole grail would

be banded at me like why have you tipped the waitress you dont tip in thailand look it says so here lol and you can get from one end of the city

to the other in a tuk tuk for no more that 30 bat was this thing printed in 1976 and republished every year after its a bout a 1000 bat a copy

i think it makes toilet paper look very reasonable

Whatever you're smokin' I want some. :)