2012 Golden Year Of Thai Tourism

webfact

Chinese worldwide travel, arrive and are picked up like sheep for the most part by their tour guides (a Chinese national typically). They are transported to a Chinese owned hotel, and go to eat at Chinese restaurants hidden in with all the Sino Thais in Yaowarat - one of the most expensive places to dine in a restaurant in Bangkok.

The next day, they take a tour bus owned by a chinese company, and. Egin their tour of Thailand, stopping in at pre-determined Chinese owned businesses.

The chinese come to Thailand, but they never SEE Thailand. I feel sad for them being screwed by their own countrymen in the name of racism and greed.

So So True!! You see them at the airports, all wearing the same cap or tee-shirt, all following the shephard with his/her flag and all looking like Mensa rejects

How did all these TV posters become experts in every facit of Thailand ? From the Chinese tourist market to all the corruption in politics, All the scams that happen in all the tourist spots. The BIB, you name it! If you need an expert who knows just get onto TV

Easy mate ! we just keep our eyes and ears open ! But i suppose you are one of those jokers propping up a bar corner, seeing nothing but pussy! and listening to 'allo andsome man'

How did all these TV posters become experts in every facit of Thailand ? From the Chinese tourist market to all the corruption in politics, All the scams that happen in all the tourist spots. The BIB, you name it! If you need an expert who knows just get onto TV

Easy mate ! we just keep our eyes and ears open ! But i suppose you are one of those jokers propping up a bar corner, seeing nothing but pussy! and listening to 'allo andsome man'

Never been in a Bar and been living and travelling Thailand for the last seven years and never had a problem with anyone ! I soppose it all depends on where you do want to hang out?

The ethnic Chinese who immigrated Thailand along with their wealth from long long ago, made that network of corruption and feudalistic family nepotism start, I'm so ashamed of my ethnic origins…

I Chat with a Chinese/Thai lady now living in Chinatown. She has spent a lifetime in USA now retired and moved back. She tells me that all her family think and talk about is how much money they have and how much their friends have. They are not even interested in her because she lives on her US pension. This is Chinese for you ! sad is'nt it.

Chinese worldwide travel, arrive and are picked up like sheep for the most part by their tour guides (a Chinese national typically). They are transported to a Chinese owned hotel, and go to eat at Chinese restaurants hidden in with all the Sino Thais in Yaowarat - one of the most expensive places to dine in a restaurant in Bangkok.

The next day, they take a tour bus owned by a chinese company, and. Egin their tour of Thailand, stopping in at pre-determined Chinese owned businesses.

The chinese come to Thailand, but they never SEE Thailand. I feel sad for them being screwed by their own countrymen in the name of racism and greed.

So So True!! You see them at the airports, all wearing the same cap or tee-shirt, all following the shephard with his/her flag and all looking like Mensa rejects

Exactly the same in Australia. Last year one Chinese tour company was caught charging a bus load of tourists $A10 a head to leave the bus and go on to the beach at Surfers Paradise.

Never been in a Bar and been living and travelling Thailand for the last seven years and never had a problem with anyone ! I soppose it all depends on where you do want to hang out?

So why be so sarcastic with posters in here that want to talk about what they are seeing and hearing on a daily basis. If you don't like it , you can in the least shut up or not bother to log on to Thai Visa, a place which i find very interesting and informative.

• Like 2

So why be so sarcastic with posters in here that want to talk about what they are seeing and hearing on a daily basis. If you don't like it , you can in the least shut up or not bother to log on to Thai Visa, a place which i find very interesting and informative.

I repeat I asked how these posters became experts ? Where is the facts behind thier comments ?I see things alot different ! of course there is corruption and scams same as any country. But I can tell you that I see alot also and why should I shut up if I dont like what some are posting ? Same as you dont like what I posted shoudn't you shut up ?

At the end of the day, if your living in Thailand & seeing with your own eyes the state of tourism, then you call it as you see it

I have been traveling to LOS twice a year for the past 5 years, so don't know what it was like in the 80's & 90's when it had it's purple patch. All I can say is every where I have been ( & I have been all over) hotels, restaurants & bars, have all been empty, can't see how any make a living.

Answer Me this one, if any government borrow heavily to build new infrastructure, ie the Thai government for the flood defenses in BKK, shouldn't your currency drop in value ! Maybe this is why experts on this forum think Thailand's in for a big full !

As for the Chinese/Thais, funny how where ever they go, the Chinese do well in business, they hold a lot of the local wealth in Indonesia too, could this be down to the fact they work their little socks off, where the indigenous population tend to be , dare I say it, a little lazy.

OK shoot be down in flames LOL

PS Hope you are all having a great festive period :-)

• Like 1

As for the Chinese/Thais, funny how where ever they go, the Chinese do well in business, they hold a lot of the local wealth in Indonesia too, could this be down to the fact they work their little socks off, where the indigenous population tend to be , dare I say it, a little lazy.

Agreed, Lee. Hope you have had a great festive period as well.

Unfortunately the if you study the migration of Chinese in countries such as Indonesia and Thailand, it is normally the first wave that work their socks off establishing the market structure, but it is the second wave (the rich ones that come once the poor and desperate come have proven the case for market potential) who makes the true profit.

For the poster who queries how we are all experts, you would be surprised at how many on here are business owners, or have immediate Thai family involved both Politically and from a business standpoint in the country. It is through this direct contact that many develop an understanding which cannot be read in any book.

If prices for accommodation do go up, it it will be another real downer for me, I usually spend 3 months of the year in hotels in Thailand, this would add a considerable cost to my trip - and unfortunately a cost which I do not see as tangible (something I can keep, either holding in my hands or as a memory) but more so a service being provided. I have stayed in some awful hotels, but the staff made it special. I have stayed in some 5* hotels, which I would never return to at any cost.

The tourism department planners need to study very hard western and far eastern economics (Japan, Korea for starters) - increasing price decreases demand. You cannot have increasing arrival figures, increasing average stays (in days), and increasing average daily spends. What you are asking for is countries to provide more annual leave to staff, salary increases and a fall in the cost of living of foreign countries. It ain't gonna happen.

Edited by TheGhostWithin
  • Like 2

Unfortunately the if you study the migration of Chinese in countries such as Indonesia and Thailand, it is normally the first wave that work their socks off establishing the market structure, but it is the second wave (the rich ones that come once the poor and desperate come have proven the case for market potential) who makes the true profit.

For the poster who queries how we are all experts, you would be surprised at how many on here are business owners, or have immediate Thai family involved both Politically and from a business standpoint in the country. It is through this direct contact that many develop an understanding which cannot be read in any book.

If prices for accommodation do go up, it it will be another real downer for me, I usually spend 3 months of the year in hotels in Thailand, this would add a considerable cost to my trip - and unfortunately a cost which I do not see as tangible (something I can keep, either holding in my hands or as a memory) but more so a service being provided. I have stayed in some awful hotels, but the staff made it special. I have stayed in some 5* hotels, which I would never return to at any cost.

The tourism department planners need to study very hard western and far eastern economics (Japan, Korea for starters) - increasing price decreases demand. You cannot have increasing arrival figures, increasing average stays (in days), and increasing average daily spends. What you are asking for is countries to provide more annual leave to staff, salary increases and a fall in the cost of living of foreign countries. It ain't gonna happen.

Good post I totally agree....clap2.gif
  • Like 1

"For the poster who queries how we are all experts, you would be surprised at how many on here are business owners, or have immediate Thai family involved both Politically and from a business standpoint in the country. It is through this direct contact that many develop an understanding which cannot be read in any book."

Your assuming that I do not have those same scenarios, And assuming the ones I question fit the criteria you state? I was just stating as you have read what makes them experts on all facits of Thailand ? Give some actual evidence,Statistics, Proof or just anything Instead of just being negative. Other than that at least you give reason for your veiws

Cheers

The Japanese, Koreans, and Chinese are all willing to put up with the same crap the farangs do to a certain degree. But the couple I saw on the tenth tee today were fuming after being left sitting for 30 minutes to tee off. Just wait until someone beats up a Chinese for dinging a jet ski, and it will become a major diplomatic incident.

They will pay in Seoul, Tokyo or shanghai, but on holiday, they expect it right no more or less than farangs . Thailand needs to up it's game to keep this new brand of tourist.

Chinese worldwide travel, arrive and are picked up like sheep for the most part by their tour guides (a Chinese national typically). They are transported to a Chinese owned hotel, and go to eat at Chinese restaurants hidden in with all the Sino Thais in Yaowarat - one of the most expensive places to dine in a restaurant in Bangkok.The next day, they take a tour bus owned by a chinese company, and. Egin their tour of Thailand, stopping in at pre-determined Chinese owned businesses.The chinese come to Thailand, but they never SEE Thailand. I feel sad for them being screwed by their own countrymen in the name of racism and greed.
Exactly the same in Australia. Last year one Chinese tour company was caught charging a bus load of tourists $A10 a head to leave the bus and go on to the beach at Surfers Paradise.
Edited by mylk

This is the UNWTO definition of tourism that Thailand uses - "Tourism comprises the activities of persons traveling to and staying in places outside their usual environment for not more than one consecutive year for leisure, business and other purposes."

How many visa runners are counted again and again, how many day laborers, how many in-transit, how many businessmen....

So if I get a visa extention, they re enter my details onto the data base does that mean technically I have left and returned so I am counted again without even leaving?

Man, this is getting beyond joke.

2 weeks ago- 24 million

few days ago 22.8 million

today almost 22million

Do the "usual suspects" still want to argue that the stats are correct? and if you do, please state which one is correct? the 24 or 22.8 or 22?

Its been the worst year for sure for the past 3.

But it has been a Golden Year for the Ministry of Silly Statistics....

Man, this is getting beyond joke.

2 weeks ago- 24 million

few days ago 22.8 million

today almost 22million

Do the "usual suspects" still want to argue that the stats are correct? and if you do, please state which one is correct? the 24 or 22.8 or 22?

Its been the worst year for sure for the past 3.

But it has been a Golden Year for the Ministry of Silly Statistics....

And a Golden Year for the Thai environment, with 44 million paper departure and arrival cards filled out, counted (manually?) and then stored or thrown away......

Edited by bangon04