21 Million Tourists, And Still Counting: Thailand

webfact

Oh Dear....................

Perhaps our Dutch Uncle does not understand preventative need.

I don't want to promote the place, I want to know how to avoid it.

sorry but no borders for a 15 days visa run near Pattaya sad.png

Edited by lemoncake

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PATTAYA, 14 June 2012: Pattaya is enjoying a double digit growth in hotel occupancy,while another 1,000 rooms will open by 2016, C9 Hotelworks says its is latest market update on Tuesday.

Top suppliers to Pattaya remain unchanged since 2008. Due to the proximity to Bangkok, the domestic market still ranks number one, responsible for 25% of all arrivals, followed by Russia (23%), China (11%), Germany (6%) and Taiwan (4%).

http://www.ttrweekly...pattaya-hotels/

Mövenpick Hotels & Resorts,Established in 1973, is a 5-star hotel

management company with 12,000 employees, and is represented through

over 100 hotels in 26 countries, with a concentration in its core markets of Europe,

Africa,the Middle East and Asia. The international hotel group,with roots in Switzerland, is expanding its hotel portfolio in Asian cities and has opened in Singapore,Philippines, India,Vietnam and Thailand.

Movenpick doesn't make mistakes. Pattaya is a good place to be for the savvy hotel owner.

Did I mention Movenpick is opening a new hotel in Pattaya this year?smile.png

Did you know that chains with 12000 employees do not plan for 1 year?but rather long term plans, might be the reason for having extra 1000 rooms by year 2016 thumbsup.gif

PATTAYA, 14 June 2012: Pattaya is enjoying a double digit growth in hotel occupancy,while another 1,000 rooms will open by 2016, C9 Hotelworks says its is latest market update on Tuesday.

Top suppliers to Pattaya remain unchanged since 2008. Due to the proximity to Bangkok, the domestic market still ranks number one, responsible for 25% of all arrivals, followed by Russia (23%), China (11%), Germany (6%) and Taiwan (4%).

over 100 hotels in 26 countries, with a concentration in its core markets of Europe,

Africa,the Middle East and Asia. The international hotel group,with roots in Switzerland, is expanding its hotel portfolio in Asian cities and has opened in Singapore,Philippines, India,Vietnam and Thailand.

Movenpick doesn't make mistakes. Pattaya is a good place to be for the savvy hotel owner.

Did you know that chains with 12000 employees do not plan for 1 year?but rather long term plans, might be the reason for having extra 1000 rooms by year 2016 thumbsup.gif

Pattaya has been doing good for many years, is doing good this year and will for the foreseeable future, OK. So what is your point? Are you going to amend your statement that Pattaya was empty most of this year and admit that 8 million people stayed in Pattaya in 2012 or at least tell us how many stayed there according to you?

Edited by chiangmaikelly

Pattaya has been doing good for many years, is doing good this year and will for the foreseeable future, OK. So what is your point? Are you going to amend your statement that Pattaya was empty most of this year and admit that 8 million people stayed in Pattaya in 2012 or at least tell us how many stayed there according to you?

i only have and have had one point, this year has been very quite.

You wrote and I quote, " Pattaya, Phuket hotels were empty for most part of the year, sorry can not comment for Chiangmai or Isaan towns."

The most accurate numbers I can find say that Pattaya has had 8 million hotel guests in 2012. Do you think that is quiet or empty? Or just what number of hotel rooms must Pattaya sell not to be empty in a year?

You wrote and I quote, " Pattaya, Phuket hotels were empty for most part of the year, sorry can not comment for Chiangmai or Isaan towns."

The most accurate numbers I can find say that Pattaya has had 8 million hotel guests in 2012. Do you think that is quiet or empty? Or just what number of hotel rooms must Pattaya sell not to be empty in a year?

i repeat again, Pattaya hotels were empty for most part of the year, your 8 million have no meaning at all, because

1. How could anyone do the number for a town

2. It does not break down to months, there could have been 5 million in december and 3 million in january.

i repeat again, Pattaya hotels were empty for most part of the year, your 8 million have no meaning at all, because

2. It does not break down to months, there could have been 5 million in december and 3 million in january.

It dosn't matter what anyone tells you they are wrong, They are trolling, They are miss guided, Can't man up enough to you, I think you have used every anecdote you can find! The fact is tourism is up for Thailand and also pattaya! just because no one wants to stay at your hotels does not take away that fact. As you should know tourism is seasonal and of course there are slower parts to the year! Your continued pedantic rants about this word or that word or stat is geting ridiculous! What do you want from this discussion apart from trying to insult anyone that dissagrees with you?

It dosn't matter what anyone tells you they are wrong, They are trolling, They are miss guided, Can't man up enough to you, I think you have used every anecdote you can find! The fact is tourism is up for Thailand and also pattaya! just because no one wants to stay at your hotels does not take away that fact. As you should know tourism is seasonal and of course there are slower parts to the year! Your continued pedantic rants about this word or that word or stat is geting ridiculous! What do you want from this discussion apart from trying to insult anyone that dissagrees with you?

mate please! when you develop skills and basic understanding then try to make post, instead of just posting useless drivel on the back of other people involved in debates

mate please! when you develop skills and basic understanding then try to make post, instead of just posting useless drivel on the back of other people involved in debates

Point in case!

Why do you always bring up Thai economy into tourism numbers??? Do you not understand it is not related ???

You appear to be either sorely misinformed or just like to make things up as tourism accounts for approximately 6.7% of Thai GDP.

Currently, medical tourism makes up 0.4% of the GDP, while tourism overall accounts for 6% to 7%, the third most important economic driver in Thailand. To compare, the Thai automotive industry accounted for 12% of GDP last year, while manufacturing led the way accounting for 36% of GDP in 2011.

BBC Travel

post-566-0-31112600-1356756994_thumb.jpg

World Travel & Tourism Council (pdf)

Wow. the 0.4% for medical tourism really surprised me as being such a large contributor as a % of GDP.

Id be interested in knowing the make up (no pun intended) of which countries the tourists for this industry are from. If such detailed figures exist.

Just go and hang around Bumrungrad Hospital for a day. You'll soon get an idea.

I'm eagerly awaiting the end of April when once again I can visit knowing that I will easily find an hotel offering rooms at ridiculously low prices due to the great lack of customers.

You need to add it has been quiet "for you" to this statement.

Edited by Nisa

I'm eagerly awaiting the end of April when once again I can visit knowing that I will easily find an hotel offering rooms at ridiculously low prices due to the great lack of customers.

You are not alone. I love heading towards the beaches in Thailand in the off season because they are less crowded. On the other it was never a big thing for me to head to the beaches in the off season back in the West when the water was too cold to enter and you need to stay bundled up on the beach to avoid feeling like you were freezing. Not a lot of places in the world that offer all year round high seasons for tourists.

• Like 1

You are not alone. I love heading towards the beaches in Thailand in the off season because they are less crowded. On the other it was never a big thing for me to head to the beaches in the off season back in the West when the water was too cold to enter and you need to stay bundled up on the beach to avoid feeling like you were freezing. Not a lot of places in the world that offer all year round high seasons for tourists.

I agree. Having a million dollar beach location for 300 baht- priceless.

• Like 1

It is not that I don't believe you. Far from it. Forgive me but is there another source in Pattaya besides you who can confirm that the hotels were all empty for most of the year. I realize none of the usual sources are come up to your standards but surly there must be some who can confirm your evaluation of the hotel business in Pattaya.

It is not that I don't believe you. Far from it. Forgive me but is there another source in Pattaya besides you who can confirm that the hotels were all empty for most of the year. I realize none of the usual sources are come up to your standards but surly there must be some who can confirm your evaluation of the hotel business in Pattaya.

The main point that you missed is i said hotels were empty for most part of the year, that means for MOST PART OF THE YEAR, leaving a few months of being packed.

The 8 million people figures are a very very rough and approximate estimates, because there is simply no way on the planet to give correct figures for 1 town. How do you suggest they count the international tourists? at the toll booths?

You will not be able to find any real source with statistics for Pattaya, even stats for population have a huge margin difference.

You can always speak with Agoda, Booking, Expedia and ask them how they did last year and you may find not too great for this region, hence why they all came up with different promotions and packages and had meetings with hoteliers every month to do some deals to attract people.

You can also check caches for their pages where you will see most if not all hotels doing 30%-80% sales, which no doubt you understand was a result of being empty, otherwise hotels would not be giving away rooms with 80% discount

Slowest peak season in the past 10 years on Samui. But, I think alot of it is due to the 4 day power outage, and the historic government bungling of the repair. It did tremendous damage to Samui's reputation. People here are really hurting. Alot of the new tourists are Chinese and Russian, and they do not spend much money.

Mike Macarelli

Chaiyaphum, Thailand

Sent from my Samsung SIII

The main point that you missed is i said hotels were empty for most part of the year, that means for MOST PART OF THE YEAR, leaving a few months of being packed.

The 8 million people figures are a very very rough and approximate estimates, because there is simply no way on the planet to give correct figures for 1 town. How do you suggest they count the international tourists? at the toll booths?

You will not be able to find any real source with statistics for Pattaya, even stats for population have a huge margin difference.

You can always speak with Agoda, Booking, Expedia and ask them how they did last year and you may find not too great for this region, hence why they all came up with different promotions and packages and had meetings with hoteliers every month to do some deals to attract people.

You can also check caches for their pages where you will see most if not all hotels doing 30%-80% sales, which no doubt you understand was a result of being empty, otherwise hotels would not be giving away rooms with 80% discount

Before I answer I need to know what is the occupancy percent in Pattaya that you mean when you say. "empty most of the year"

You said, "empty most of the year" what does that translate to in terms of occupancy percent? 50% or 10% or what?

Before I answer I need to know what is the occupancy percent in Pattaya that you mean when you say. "empty most of the year"

You said, "empty most of the year" what does that translate to in terms of occupancy percent? 50% or 10% or what?

how do you propose i answer or would know that for you for every hotel in Pattaya?rolleyes.gif

Do you know how occupancy is calculated?

Any intelligent business person with a hotel in Pattaya could easily look up the statistic by month for occupancy of hotels. I could care less but have seen the numbers available and they are broken down by city.

A couple articles about hotel occupancy in Pattaya including one that talks about occupancy by quarter... Warning!! As usual none of these figures back up your claims.

http://www.pattayamail.com/property/phuket-hotel-occupancy-and-residential-demand-on-the-rise-15146

http://www.c9hotelworks.com/downloads/pattaya-2011-hotel-market-update-2012-05.pdf

how do you propose i answer or would know that for you for every hotel in Pattaya?rolleyes.gif

8 million tourists came to Pattaya in 2012 and there are 50,000 rooms. Yea I can figure that. What I was asking you is what is the occupancy percent if the rooms are empty most of the time?

It is done through surveys of the hotels ... would think anyone in the hotel business would know this.

It is done through surveys of the hotels ... would think anyone in the hotel business would know this.

When I worked for Holiday Inns it was public knowledge. I worked for Holiday Inns Inc. My occupancy was always greater than 100% and that was always fun to explain at the conventions.smile.png We called the hot sheet trade.

• Like 1

Any intelligent business person with a hotel in Pattaya could easily look up the statistic by month for occupancy of hotels. I could care less but have seen the numbers available and they are broken down by city.

A couple articles about hotel occupancy in Pattaya including one that talks about occupancy by quarter... Warning!! As usual none of these figures back up your claims.

http://www.pattayama...-the-rise-15146

http://www.c9hotelwo...ate-2012-05.pdf

The first link may be from PattayaMail, but gives Q1 2012 figures for Phuket with "was a record first quarter for tourist arrivals with 594,999 domestic and 730,667 international passenger arrivals". Not sure if those domestic arrivals count as far as the 21m++ goes.

The first link may be from PattayaMail, but gives Q1 2012 figures for Phuket with "was a record first quarter for tourist arrivals with 594,999 domestic and 730,667 international passenger arrivals". Not sure if those domestic arrivals count as far as the 21m++ goes.

Obviously since they are domestic they wouldn't count as International Visitors to Thailand since no arrival card would be filled out.

Obviously since they are domestic they wouldn't count as International Visitors to Thailand since no arrival card would be filled out.

The topic is 21m+ international tourist arrivals indeed. Mind you I'm not into guessing how many of those 594,999 arrived in Bangkok or another Thai city before going to Phuket. I'm just glad to hear they're not counted more than once wink.png

8 million tourists came to Pattaya in 2012 and there are 50,000 rooms. Yea I can figure that. What I was asking you is what is the occupancy percent if the rooms are empty most of the time?

is that how you calculate occupancy rate?cheesy.gif

The formula for occupancy rate is:

Occupancy Rate = Rooms Rented Out / Total Rooms

to work out an annual average room occupancy rate you multiply the number of letting rooms by the number of nights the hotel is open in the year. That gives you the number of available rooms. The number of actual rooms occupied Divide this figure by the number of available rooms and multiply by 100 to establish annual room occupancy rate.

Edited by lemoncake

When I worked for Holiday Inns it was public knowledge. I worked for Holiday Inns Inc. My occupancy was always greater than 100% and that was always fun to explain at the conventions.smile.png We called the hot sheet trade.

i am surprised it was not 300% considering you do not know how to calculate occupancy rates.

PS. How could you have occupancy greater than 100% ? for some crazy reason i always thought 100% was the max