The Ultimate Pattaya Döner And Gyros Guide

raro

How about the original Thai stand (now a mobile truck) across from Soi VC , been there like 20 years now.

The falafel are pretty good.

Glad you mentioned falafel. I've never experienced what I consider decent falafel in Thailand. Does such a place exist in Pattaya even at a pricey restaurant? Mix and balls prepared properly. Fried FRESH in clean oil?

Edited by Jingthing

How about the original Thai stand (now a mobile truck) across from Soi VC , been there like 20 years now.

The falafel are pretty good.

I've never tried that one. What are the chicken kebabs like?

He claims to go thru a spit each night so at least it seems fresh , although a bit salty.

Without a doubt this was the original kebab guy and he pumps them out all night long.

Sure some others here have tried and can comment on this location.

I still give Doner King top marks, mayo or not. Second is Mike's new place in Big-C on Sukhumvit Road. The various doner stalls around Walking Street are atrocious, I think those who like those might be EUI (Eating Under Influence :P).

Btw the Subway around the corner from WS closed months ago, and I think the doner shop next to it too.

A little far to go but the best schwarmas I've had are at Jerusalem Scharma in Angeles City smile.png I can a half-dozen of these babies at a sitting!

I don't know which one is "Jerusalem", but I've gotten ill eating shawarmas at a little shop on Fields. It fits the description you gave as I could eat quite a few. They didn't taste too bad, but I wouldn't trust the meat.

the dreaded mayo again? What happened to good old cacik?

I think a big blob of mayo/ketchup helps to "standardize" the flavour and moisten dry meat.

I'm not expert on kebabs, but mayo sounds better than catsup to me and catsup always seems to be available at these stands.

Edited by Ulysses G.

I think a big blob of mayo/ketchup helps to "standardize" the flavour and moisten dry meat.

I'm not expert on kebabs, but mayo sounds better than catsup to me and catsup always seems to be available at these stands.

Neither mayo nor ketchup. Yoghurt based garlic sauce and a spicy red sauce. Mayo makes the overall appearance too fatty and ketchup qualifies as a food item only in a very wide definition of "food"

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Thaivisa Connect App

Neither mayo nor ketchup. Yoghurt based garlic sauce and a spicy red sauce. Mayo makes the overall appearance too fatty and ketchup qualifies as a food item only in a very wide definition of "food"

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Thaivisa Connect App

That might well be the best quote i ever saw, i just wish i had the memory to bring it up when appropriate thumbsup.gif

Neither Döner nor Gyros, but this place deserves a honorable mention:

Vlandern Frituur in Soi LK Metro. YES! Real Belgium fries with Krokett Special and Bitterballen. Junk Food Heaven!

Not sure if the place was mentioned earlier, but I stopped by Donor King the other day. It looked good from the outside. Menu OK. BUT, no yoghurt/cucumber sauce--only mayo, garlic, ketchup. I just could not bring myself to even try it. I do not understand why these places are "brain dead" when it comes to proper sauces. About ketchup: yes, totally disgusting, but I have had a tomato-based, oregano, lemon, garlic, onion (not sure about all of the ingredients, but definitely not ketchup, think Greek style tomato sauce) sauce at some Greek places. That sauce was fantastic on grilled beef skewers placed inside Greek bread. Speaking of Greek bread (or even good Middle-Eastern bread) I have never seen it at any of these places. All they have to do is offer Greek style bread and a decent Greek style or Middle-Eastern style yoghurt-based sauce and their product would improve immensely.

• Like 2

Neither D nor Gyros, but this place deserves a honorable mention:

Vlandern Frituur in Soi LK Metro. YES! Real Belgium fries with Krokett Special and Bitterballen. Junk Food Heaven!

Not sure if the place was mentioned earlier, but I stopped by Donor King the other day. It looked good from the outside. Menu OK. BUT, no yoghurt/cucumber sauce--only mayo, garlic, ketchup. I just could not bring myself to even try it. I do not understand why these places are "brain dead" when it comes to proper sauces. About ketchup: yes, totally disgusting, but I have had a tomato-based, oregano, lemon, garlic, onion (not sure about all of the ingredients, but definitely not ketchup, think Greek style tomato sauce) sauce at some Greek places. That sauce was fantastic on grilled beef skewers placed inside Greek bread. Speaking of Greek bread (or even good Middle-Eastern bread) I have never seen it at any of these places. All they have to do is offer Greek style bread and a decent Greek style or Middle-Eastern style yoghurt-based sauce and their product would improve immensely.

I want to think the kebab shop (Mike's?) Inside big c south uses the yogurt based cucumber sauce. Is one of the very few that uses it.

Edited by Jayman

we discussed it before. They do have the bread you are looking for and the meat is also great. And they USED to have the sauces you were looking for. It is beyond me why they switched to Mayo and Ketchup.

Where is this place exactly? I can't tell by the address:

http://www.foodpanda...zza-(-Pattaya-)

Hi

It is on Pattaya New Plaza, 2nd Road, approx opposite soi 8.

I`ve been past but not tried it yet.

Thanks. That's what I thought but wasn't sure. Anyone tried it?

I went there a couple of nights back, just after midnight, still open but had run out of lamb kebabs, chicken kebabs still available.

I had instead minced beef & cheese, with a very small quantity of tomato and onion on a pitta style bread, open, not folded.

Tasted OK to me, will try their lamb kebab another time as well as Doner King which seemed to be doing a good trade the other night.

we discussed it before. They do have the bread you are looking for and the meat is also great. And they USED to have the sauces you were looking for. It is beyond me why they switched to Mayo and Ketchup.

The only ketchup there is what's on the table (as it is on any restaurant table in Thailand, next to the awful chili "ketchup" thingy). They offer 3 "sauces" : mayo, garlic and spicy. All 3 appears to be mayo based. I accept if you don't like mayo it may not be for you, but I love the stuff. Maybe it's an acquired taste, I dunno.

Where is this place exactly? I can't tell by the address:

http://www.foodpanda...zza-(-Pattaya-)

Hi

It is on Pattaya New Plaza, 2nd Road, approx opposite soi 8.

I`ve been past but not tried it yet.

Thanks. That's what I thought but wasn't sure. Anyone tried it?

I went there a couple of nights back, just after midnight, still open but had run out of lamb kebabs, chicken kebabs still available.

I had instead minced beef & cheese, with a very small quantity of tomato and onion on a pitta style bread, open, not folded.

Tasted OK to me, will try their lamb kebab another time as well as Doner King which seemed to be doing a good trade the other night.

This place offers yogurt sauce with garlic. I think it's a winner.

Doner King: Went back one hour ago and had the Doner w/ beef. Verdict: It was good! The bread was interesting--like nothing I had ever eaten and fortunately not like the crap pita bread that most places serve. The bread is not "Greek style," or at least as I know it, but it was good and it is a plus that they are doing something different w/ bread. The meat was better than most places. The sauce, well, I ordered the mayonaise sauce. It was not horrible, but it is a mystery as to why they do not serve the real stuff (maybe Thais hate it?). There were several people there eating their stuff. I will go back the next time I get a craving for that type of food. I still wish somebody would serve Greek-style Gyros (made with lamb) w/ Greek bread. But, until then.......

I agree the Doner King beef meat is great, the one time I went. I can't abide the mayo sauces. Perhaps some people can inform them that they could get some loyal expat business if they offer two non-mayo sauces: yogurt garlic and unsugared chile with no mayo? I doubt they care as they do good business doing what they are doing so why change. I have only been once and will never go back unless I hear word they change their sauce offerings. The customers were RUSSIAN. Russians of course are wild about mayo. I think that's your answer.

BTW, if I recall correctly, not only were there sauces mayo based, they were also overly sugar sweet. Yuck. Double yuck.

It's not that mayo doesn't fit with many foods. Like tuna salad. This kind, I don't think so.

Edited by Jingthing