Chillies

suegha

I often find chillies (both red and green) that I have had for a while go off. I was wondering if anyone has any ideas on ways to keep them longer. I thought about preparing them and freezing them, but there must be other suggestions.

ps I'm talking about the very hot varieties.

pps I know they are cheap to buy, but I just hate waste.

Any thoughts?

Edited by suegha

I often find chillies (both red and green) that I have had for a while go off. I was wondering if anyone has any ideas on ways to keep them longer. I thought about preparing them and freezing them, but there must be other suggestions.

Any thoughts?

I keep them in the fridge last for ages and never have to throw them away

Any thoughts?

I keep them in the fridge last for ages and never have to throw them away

However, they will keep longer if wrapped individually in newspaper (unwashed). Check them regularly and throw away any which are going off.

Every time I go to Thailand, the last day before coming home I go to the Pak Khlong Market to buy a kilo of dried red chillies to bring back.

Now I am still trying to find prik kee noo the little mouse shit chillies dried or pickle, any idea where I can find those?

:o

I store mine on the plant, they keep for ages :o - if you don't use them, they just fall to the ground and a new plant grows, so no waste either.

If you're in Thailand, it's so easy to grow your own and they taste so much better fresh off the tree.

My problem, I don't live in Thailand but in Canada and with my work, sometime I am out for weeks so I am not there to give water to the plants. The only plant I can grow are cactus because they can live without water for weeks.

Any thoughts?

Information on growing chillis http://asiarecipe.com/chilliegrow.html

Information on buying and saving chillis http://asiarecipe.com/chilies.html

Any thoughts?

Information on growing chillis http://asiarecipe.com/chilliegrow.html

Information on buying and saving chillis http://asiarecipe.com/chilies.html

Thanks for the links.

• 2 weeks later...

Short Term: Separate if poss. don't store in plastic bag (they sweat and rot).

Medium Term: Fridge

Long Term: Freeze, Pickle, Dry, make paste and put in fridge (don't know why but lasts forever as a paste)

Like the idea about keep on the tree :o

Long Term: Freeze, Pickle, Dry, make paste and put in fridge (don't know why but lasts forever as a paste)

Do they continue getting bigger if you keep them on the tree? And if so, do they lose their 'hotness'? Or will they, in the long term, just fall off and rot?

Do they continue getting bigger if you keep them on the tree? And if so, do they lose their 'hotness'?

I'd recommend picking when green. Yes, they will turn red, but with no size difference, and no gain in hotness or flavour, in my experience

Or will they, in the long term, just fall off and rot?

Yes, for sure.

weve been growing all the kinds: the black/white ones (purple), the little red ones; the longer red ones, etc..:

green is less hot then red

te red ones can be sun dried (we did kilos and kilos of it)

pound and mix with other spices, it lasts forever

dried and pounded, lasts for ever

we kept 50 kilo in an old goat feed pellet bag and just now used them .... have pics somewhere of the thai peppers drying on the roof, in the old cow shed, and near the road ... the long piles of red attracted many people to foto them....

we also left many of the bushes... and are still being used (esentially last years crop, as we just seeded again)

this is in israel, and for the thai workers' personal use!! kilos and kilos and kilos...

weve been growing all the kinds: the black/white ones (purple), the little red ones; the longer red ones, etc..:

green is less hot then red

te red ones can be sun dried (we did kilos and kilos of it)

pound and mix with other spices, it lasts forever

dried and pounded, lasts for ever

we kept 50 kilo in an old goat feed pellet bag and just now used them .... have pics somewhere of the thai peppers drying on the roof, in the old cow shed, and near the road ... the long piles of red attracted many people to foto them....

we also left many of the bushes... and are still being used (esentially last years crop, as we just seeded again)

this is in israel, and for the thai workers' personal use!! kilos and kilos and kilos...

This sounds very interesting. i hope when I finally get to live in Thailand that I get a chance to grow chillies. BTW is it easy to grow them organically?