Riding Bike Without Green Book. What's The Reality

russjohn

I don't ride a bike without a greenbook but here is my 2 satang.

A while ago I found a really nice 1300 superfour for sale but it had no greenbook.

So wifey and I go to see one of her friends who works in the registration office at Kanchanaburi Land & Transport.

She said there was no way they would issue a greenbook and to ride it without one would risk fine and confiscation of the bike.

For me it wasn't worth the risk.

Ok, just so we're clear.

If your bike has a greenbook--do not ride with the original greenbook. A photocopy is sufficient.

If you're talking about a bike that is in Thailand, and has never had a greenbook, yes the bike (at least in theory) can be impounded, sold and seized. Some people say don't worry about, others say you're risking alot. I am of the opinion it is not worth the hassle and all my bikes in thailand have greenbooks.

No green book raises issues

Is it stolen,illegal import,why isn't it registered.

But I have never been asked for the book when pulled over.

But I do have it in the house if necessary.

And you do have a number plate in your bike. No green book = no plate.

sent from my Q6

I've been asked to show the green book at least 5 times on my import, never on my locally produced bikes.. A couple of times were official stops with maybe 15 cops present. They were happy with a colour photocopy of every page and they checked page 18 for tax paid and also checked my tax disk matched the plate and book. No doubt in my mind that if my bike was unplated then I would have been taking a taxi home.

Thanks for input guys - it just seems that there are a lot of folks riding around on bikes without green books and I have heard many conflicting reports. A glance through bike for sale ads suggests there are many "non-green bikes around and for sale.

I have listened to your views and will not take the risk. Thanks again.

Went through a New Year's police check yesterday.

The only bike pulled over and sitting without a rider was an unplated CB400.

Of course it could easily have been one of the copper's. It's amazing how many of them ride unplated CB400's really. rolleyes.gif

Thailand has been changing in many ways, tightening up on unplated bikes has been happening slowly over the last few years... the reverse is not going to happen any time soon. Expect things to continuously get worse.

Edited by cbrer

It beggars belief that this nature of question is asked time and time again.

Not really. Times change. Not so big a deal a few years ago. Especially outside of the major cities. Not everyone has been living in Bangkok or Pattaya for the last 5 years, or keeping up with current practices. Some get offered a nice big bike and suddenly begin thinking about riding in Thailand for the first time.

Just wondering. If you have the book, but it's not with you at the time the cops ask for it. What would the situation be? My greenbook is in Chiang Rai whilst I'm living in Chiang Mai..

Colour photocopy is likely to be enough if asked for.

Like everything in Thailand, rules differ from officer to officer.

depends on the areas really ,in the centre or bkk or pattaya it will likely be a pain in the balls

if you live way out in the provinces its usually no big deal

I have owned mostly grey imported bikes over the years and rarely been asked for anything but some money ,usually can haggle it down to 100-200

My friend recently bought my r1 because im working in bkk and pass the police a few times a day usually but hes retired up in sakon nakorn and he can use it up there and a smile and 100 thb is fine because the police arent so blatently greedy in the village as the ones in tourist areas who seem to think its a competition to fleece as much money as possible from everyone

some companies will still sell you an insurance policy and some fixers can still make books under the table but i would only consider it if i lived outside bkk now because the sheer amount of police in the capital means the odds are stacked against you and sooner or later an enterprising cop might confiscate your wheels and you might not be able to bribe your way out of it ..........

Just wondering. If you have the book, but it's not with you at the time the cops ask for it. What would the situation be? My greenbook is in Chiang Rai whilst I'm living in Chiang Mai..

Here in pattaya a copy is all that is needed. If not its a 400baht fine. Personally i have never been asked for a payoff or been ticketed for something i didnt do.

• Like 1

some companies will still sell you an insurance policy

They will sell and promise you everything, but I seriously doubt, that they will pay in case of an accident.

Why should they?

An asshol_e idiot rides an illegal bike in a foreign country...

Would you do it in your home country?

Nothing more to say!

• Like 1

I looked into this topic myself recently as looking at other options for if the Z800 isn't released here soon and it depends a lot on where you live and plan to ride. My friends with big bikes in Hua Hin have owned unregistered bikes for years without any problems, the occasional 1-200 baht fine every now and then but nothing more. And recently met quite a few Thai & farang big bike owners in Phayao and Chiang Rai and all but a handful are unregistered and they said they never get any hassle from the police whatsoever.

I also asked a lady friend to enquire further as her brother is a policeman in Mae Sai and he said as long as the import and tax papers are in order then mai pen rai. I'm only really interested in these areas as they are where I'm contemplating settling long-term, I imagine in Bangkok or the bigger tourist towns you would get more grief.

I looked into this topic myself recently as looking at other options for if the Z800 isn't released here soon and it depends a lot on where you live and plan to ride. My friends with big bikes in Hua Hin have owned unregistered bikes for years without any problems, the occasional 1-200 baht fine every now and then but nothing more. And recently met quite a few Thai & farang big bike owners in Phayao and Chiang Rai and all but a handful are unregistered and they said they never get any hassle from the police whatsoever.

I also asked a lady friend to enquire further as her brother is a policeman in Mae Sai and he said as long as the import and tax papers are in order then mai pen rai. I'm only really interested in these areas as they are where I'm contemplating settling long-term, I imagine in Bangkok or the bigger tourist towns you would get more grief.

Remember, things can change extremely quickly in Thailand.

Remember a few months ago the head cop declared that there were to be no more police road blocks in Bangkok before 9pm. Overnight, no more police roadblocks anywhere in the city. Still in effect.

This was good.

It can easily be bad.

Kawa and Honda are now building and selling big bikes in Thailand.

If the order comes down one night that police are to pull in every unplated bike in the country there's going to be a lot of teary, regretful riders.

Edited by cbrer

Shouldn’t the most pressing concern be the fact you’ll have no insurance should you have any kind of accident on an unregistered bike.

Paying a fine is, well, just fine... Not too much harm done when riding around and being stopped by an officer of the law, they'll be happy to take your 200B and send you on your way, hoping to stop you again sometime soon.

There's alot of opinions and experiences here from riders that have such bikes, but I wonder why in all threads with a similar topic there have been no posts from riders that have had accidents on such bikes.... Could it be that they have been fined the hell out of Thailand or are still serving time behind bars (no insurance no bail bond).... One thing's for sure if they were sold an insurance policy, said company laughed all the way to the bank.

I'm talking figuratively with the use of 'you'

'You'

Edited by karlos

But IIRR there were reports here at TV from owners of unplated bikes whos insurances have paid something. Selling an insurance well knowing the bike has no greenbook and than not paying because there is no greenbook would be scam.

Don't get me wrong. I would never do it. I would not even buy a bike with a "fake" greenbook, changed frame number or such thing. Never. Don't like such thing. But there are others who don't mind. Thats OK too :)

• Like 1

Guess it depends on the individual and his attitude towards the insurance company come claim time, the insurance company themselves, who's at fault, a friend of a Thai friend, back handers, or those reports could have been glamorised somewhat... Who knows, but as you say the best way is to steer clear of such bikes, having said that though there's far too many bikes out there with dodgy books which might not put the owner in good sted come claim time.

All this uncertainty about official/legit greenbooks put me off of buying a 2006 CBR600RR as well as some other exotic machinery, I ended up buying a much slower new bike with all the paperwork in order. :)

• Like 1

Here in pattaya a copy is all that is needed. If not its a 400baht fine. Personally i have never been asked for a payoff or been ticketed for something i didnt do.

I've been riding here for almost 7 years (based in pattaya) and although I carry a copy of my green book I've never been asked to show it, licence tax and insurance and nothing more and I've been stopped all over Thailand