Basic Nutrition In Chiang Mai

pingman

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If all the stuff I read on this thread and disregarded it which is most of it. Why have I lived to be a reasonably healthy 71 years old?

Nutrition is just one of many, many other factors that determine your lifespan.

I believe genetics is the key factor. Other factors that affect your lifespan include your physical environment, smoking, drinking, drug use, other medical conditions, weight, mental and emotional health, and whether you live above the 5th floor of any building in Pattaya.

Live long and prosper!

If I am not mistaken, Dolly has in the pst, mentioned some chronic medical conditions and needs daily medication, so who is to say?

True broken bone will not heal arthritis sleep apnea slight irregularity in my heart I have had all my life.

Reasonable good health for my age. None of it MSG related.

To the OP, probably your best bet, difficult though may be, will be to first convert your wife's eating habits and then your child's diet will follow as a matter of course.

As with many contentious issues in a marriage, the info might be received better if it doesn't come from you, but a third party. There are some popular Thai magazines, "Chivajit" for one, that cover healthy eating, exercise, and lifestyle. Plus lots of cookbooks and nutrition guides. You might invest in a few of these and give them as gifts, or place them strategically around the house. Using Thai-language resources may reframe the debate in your house from a Thai vs Farang thing, and it gives her the opportunity to browse and digest the info at her own pace.

I have a friend, a Thai doctor, who started a natural foods company (with a branch opening in Chiang Mai soon, I hope), to educate Thais about nutrition for healthy living. Here's a link to the site, in Thai: http://www.pensook.in.th/

Another tip: I've found that once people start exercising, they take greater interest in their own diets, simply because they don't want all that effort to be undone, and they can feel the difference.

Although interest is building slowly, and it's not that obvious, more Thais are becoming aware of the link between food and health. Diabetes is a huge problem all throughout Thailand (indeed, Asia overall), and people are beginning to point to overconsumption of popular strains of white rice as a main cause, owing to its high glycemic index. Apparently it puts a huge, fast spike in blood sugar levels that overwhelms the pancreas. And doing so two or three times a day, year in and year out, can lead to problems.

I've seen quite a number of Thais make the gradual shift to healthier diet, so I know it's possible.

Good luck!

• Like 1