Popular Swedish Tourist Paradise In Thailand Burned Down: Mae Phim

webfact

I seem to remember a fire in Phuket a few years back.

Seems the fire at a LUMBER YARD was still quite small when the firetruck arrived in record time.

Seems the firefighters also forgot to refill the truck from the fire they fought the week before.

blink.png

If the lumber yard owner had had his own extinguishers, well ...

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I dont know I was not there to witness it and no, extinguishers would have had little use. Where in the article did it say it started high up on the roof? It possibly could have started where the roof is only at 2 meters, and possibly would not be having this discussion, if somebody extinguished it quickly. Your second question is so ridiculous I wont answer that one.

Would you agree it is prudent to have fire extinguishers handy in any structure, and there would be more of them if your building was constructed of open timber and thatch where open flames are used to cook?

FYI they do have and make fire extinguishers in Thailand and are very available in all styles and sizes, with the 4 large informational pictures on them for use. Just like they make and use world wide

Actually a hose with water would be the best bet in fighting a fire that started this way and you are are really reaching with your 2 foot high roof fire which could have easily been put out and your other conclusion that fire fighting equipment wasn't present during a fire because you didn't see it in charred remains is a strange one.

The dam_n fire started because of an errant firework ... these types of fires happen all over the world (often resulting in deaths) as do fires in kitchen's of businesses that end up burning entire places down regardless if they have sprinkler systems and fire extinguishers. More developed countries may have different building codes and more and better equipped fire fighters that have better response times but for the love of god we are not in one of these countries and this false superiority just seem to know no limits sometimes.

Just to point out that dcutman said "where the roof is only at 2 meters", not "your 2 foot high roof". wai2.gif

Yup - didn't catch that originally as well as originally believing he said he didn't see fire extinguishers in the burnt out buildings.. Time to stop pretending I don't need to wear my glasses (rose tinted or otherwise) when on the computer. Although I personally don't believe they would have done a bit of good in this situation, I responded in a way believing he was going out of his way to come up with unrealistic argument.

Although a 2 meter high roof is realistic, unless there was access to be above or at least even with the fire to be able to spray the base of the fire, an extinguisher is not the right tool as they are made for small fires and typically the ones with water that last about a minute are not really pressurized and by the time you got the extinguisher out and got the proper angle to spray, the fire would be too big and the attention spent doing all this should have been spent making sure people got out safe. If it was a pressurized chemical extinguisher then the spray would last a much shorter time and all the other factors would still be in play.

Fire extinguisher are made for small fires that are not spreading quickly and I certainly could be wrong, this was almost surely a fast moving fire and there is no indication of it started with a tiny spark (very doubtful) or if the rocket exploded causing a large area to ignite (likely) or even if the rocket was still shooting flames when it landed and did a little dance on the thatched roof spreading fire in numerous areas.

Although hoses would have been the best option, my guess is by the time people got evacuated and realized what was going on and were able to get to any type of fire extinguishing equipment or material, it was probably too late to do anything.

Lessons can always be learned from fires and folks should take reasonable precautions but in this case, it would seem there was not much that the owners could have realistically done except to alter their roof composition.

I responded in a way believing he was going out of his way to come up with unrealistic argument.

As you do so often.

Glad to see you snapped out of it. BTW there is help for these conditions,

Seems the fire at a LUMBER YARD was still quite small when the firetruck arrived in record time.

Seems the firefighters also forgot to refill the truck from the fire they fought the week before.

blink.png

Would be an interesting story to read. Do you have a link to the story or what city or the name of the lumber yard for looking up this story?

blink.png

Would be an interesting story to read. Do you have a link to the story or what city or the name of the lumber yard for looking up this story?

PHUKET: A lumberyard in Thalang sustained hundreds of thousands of baht in damages yesterday after firefighters from Thepkrasattri Municipality rushed to fight the blaze with an empty water tank.

Local residents reported a fire at Ta Wood Trading on Thepkrasattri northbound at about 2pm yesterday.

The fire was still small when the firefighters arrived, but after realizing their fire truck’s water tank was empty they were helpless to stop the flames from engulfing the godown.

Ten firetrucks from other parts of Phuket took three hours to eventually put out the flames.

The building was locked and there were no water sources nearby, so they called for help from the Disaster Prevention and Mitigation office at Thepkrasattri Municipality.

When they arrived, firefighters realized with great dismay that the truck had not been filled with water.

They called for help from other local government offices, but could only watch as flames quickly spread over piles of wood and other flammable construction materials.

At least an hour later, 10 fire trucks arrived from Cherng Talay, Koh Kaew and Srisoonthorn.

Shop owner Tueanjai Saratho said it was too early estimate the damage, but that it would run into hundreds of thousands of baht.

The cause of the fire is so far unknown as no-one is thought to have been in the warehouse when it started.

Police suspect a short circuit or arson, but are awaiting the results of an examination by a forensics team. Print this story | Send it to a friend pdf_icon.gif Save story to computer as pdf file

Send Letter to Gazette Editor

Comment on this story

– Phuket Gazette

Phuket,spacer.gifThailand

14:20 local time (GMT +7)

0 0

blink.png

According to the story the place was locked up (Sunday) with nobody there and the fire was reported by neighbors. So, not sure a fire extinguisher on site would have been any help. Although there appears to be no mention of why the truck had no water let alone they forgot to fill it from a fire a week ago ... I suspect much of the story was written just to grab attention since there is no way the truck driver would not have known he was driving a truck without any water in it ... especially if it was a water truck. If it was a typical water truck type (at least used in the US) it would have had about 1,000 gallons if full which and that would have been exhausted in about 5 to 7 minutes. I also question how the small the fire could have been for neighbors to have noticed it and then the fire dept. to respond and not have any means of moving the burning material, use their own fire extinguishers or smothering it and which they also suspected could be arson. No doubt there was a problem and the fire was small in terms of when the fire fighters arrived and when the fire was put out and that it certainly could have been put out sooner but this near 3-year old account seems more of an example of possible new reporting sensationalism than an example of a fire extinguisher being of help as it was as nobody working or present inside the locked facility. What seems to be the biggest problem for this failure is likely there was no place close to the site this single crew's hoses could reach to access water. No argument from me that fire extinguishers are a good and needed item to have but just pointing out they often useless because by the time a fire is noticed they won't help and also that we shouldn't assume none were present in the OP as they not only may have been present but may have been used in a futile attempt to put out the blaze.