Nationwide Flexaccount - Debit Vs Cash Card

Hi all,

I have had a Nationwide Cash Card account for over three years.

Unfortunately, every six months the computer says no! to a 3-1 debit card upgrade, which is confusing because my cash card account has regular usage (I currently have around £2,000 in there, with £700 going in, and the same going out each month).

Does anyone know if the Nationwide Debit Card can be used in Thailand? (it has a Cirrus logo on the back).

If yes, can I go into a bank and use it the card at the counter to withdraw more than my daily ATM allowance?, and then get the bank to draw a cheque for me (rather than carry cash)?

Alternatively, can I open up a THB Tourist Bank Account, transfer money over from my UK account and get a Thai Visa Card?

Thank you in advance.

Edited by suneeoki

Why don't you give Nationwide a call and ask them why they keep refusing? Also if you use internet banking you can open an Esavings account connected to your Flexaccount which pays >4%. You can move all your spare cash into it instantaneoulsy on the net.

Are you on the electoral register at your Uk address?

Nationwide (and most other UK banks) use Experian credit scoring, absence from the electoral register is an almost automatic killer. :o

If you ask why you've been rejected you will almost certainly get the blanket 'low credit score' which really tells you absolutely nothing useful.

The debit card certainly works in ATMs here but I've never tried getting more than the machine allowance by going to the counter (my money usually goes TO the UK to maintain an expensive ex-wife).

Why don't you give Nationwide a call and ask them why they keep refusing? Also if you use internet banking you can open an Esavings account connected to your Flexaccount which pays >4%. You can move all your spare cash into it instantaneoulsy on the net.

Hi Endure,

I have tried a few things to persuade them to change there mind, I have filled in appeals forms, phoned them, e-mailed them, all with no success.

Also, Experian have investigated my credit file, as Nationwide kept on saying it was no good; however, Experian found no problems with my file. I have only lived at three addresses in my whole life, and they are all showing on my file.

No one at Nationwide can give a proper answer.

Thank you for the reply.

I have tried a few things to persuade them to change there mind, I have filled in appeals forms, phoned them, e-mailed them, all with no success.

Also, Experian have investigated my credit file, as Nationwide kept on saying it was no good; however, Experian found no problems with my file. I have only lived at three addresses in my whole life, and they are all showing on my file.

Another thought, it's just possible that you don't have enought previous credit to build up a decent rating. The score takes into account previous payment records, if you've not borrowed you don't have a payment record.

I had a similar problem with Barclaycard (no problem with Nationwide), they sent me a 'guaranteed approval' letter. Even with a high 5 figure salary (and an offshore visa card with a credit limit to match) they gave me a credit limit of, wait for it, three HUNDRED pounds, a couple of nights in a decent hotel would kill that dead. Needless to say Mr Barclaycard does not get used (and they keep asking why).

There are many factors taken into account when credit scoring with different points attached to different things including age, income, length of employment and length of time at home address, single/married, ccj's, how many credit cards held already, curent savings accounts , homeowner or renting and believe it or not if you are on the phone at home.

None of the above help the OP but there you go. :o

I got a Nationwide Debit Card and The red cash card.

Both you can withdraw ATM 20,000 max per day.

The Debit card you can go into a bank and ask to withdraw large amounts in one go. I did 80,000 baht and 90,000 baht on consecutive days at the SCB bank Hua Hin. No problems they just swiped it through a machine and I signed, needed my passport. Cannot do this with the cash card, proably because the debit has the Visa Sign!

Hope this helps

Edited by jflundy

Thank you for the replies Crossy, thaiflyer1 and jflundy,

I have pretty much settled on the idea that nationwide are not going to change their minds, even after someone was murdered outside my house and I asked for a upgrade for personal safety reasons they still said no :o

Although, I cannot see what difference a debit or cash card makes to Nationwide, both of them need to have cleared funds in them.; I even told Nationwide I do not need an overdraft facilities.

Waste your time no more on this one. I thought I knew all there was to know about credit scoring having worked in the industry. Nationwide defeat me. Like you I'm limited to the cash card. I have a very healthy account there, an excellent credit record, Amex, various Visa cards etc. Own my own property, virtually paid for, on the electoral list. Computer says no. Appeals by branch manager fall on stony ground. One of my employees opens up an account there, sole income the salary I pay him, rented accomodation, no credit record .....yes you've guessed it, here you are sir have a debit card!!

I firmly believe they have a computer system that sometime fouls up and is further exacerbated by human intervention being a strict no no.

:o

I firmly believe they have a computer system that sometime fouls up and is further exacerbated by human intervention being a strict no no.

I have the same feeling, the Nationwide computer is an overlord and the staff do not dare to question it.

The Nationwide computer has some interesting quirks.

In the past, the on-line banking allowed me to initiate a funds transfer after I thought a cheque paid in five days earlier had cleared, however, it had not cleared (takes six days on cash card account).

Even though the on-line system only had to say 'unable to comply', it decided it would be better to keep it secret from me that it will not transfer the money and then charge me £27.50 for not having the available funds.

Also, once I was 50p short for a £9 direct debit that tried to come out, the computer refused it and charged me £28.50 again for not having the available funds.

When I e-mail Nationwide about the charge, they say go to Branch, the Branch tells me to phone, the call centre tells me to write, the letter I write gets no reply :D

I will be using my Nationwide card for ATM machines in Thailand, but once I am back, I will be witting to them to request my fees back under the unfair terms section of the Consumer Contracts Regulations 1999. If they do not refund, I will start court proceedings.

I have the same feeling, the Nationwide computer is an overlord and the staff do not dare to question it.

The Nationwide computer has some interesting quirks.

In the past, the on-line banking allowed me to initiate a funds transfer after I thought a cheque paid in five days earlier had cleared, however, it had not cleared (takes six days on cash card account).

Even though the on-line system only had to say 'unable to comply', it decided it would be better to keep it secret from me that it will not transfer the money and then charge me £27.50 for not having the available funds.

Also, once I was 50p short for a £9 direct debit that tried to come out, the computer refused it and charged me £28.50 again for not having the available funds.

When I e-mail Nationwide about the charge, they say go to Branch, the Branch tells me to phone, the call centre tells me to write, the letter I write gets no reply :D

I will be using my Nationwide card for ATM machines in Thailand, but once I am back, I will be witting to them to request my fees back under the unfair terms section of the Consumer Contracts Regulations 1999. If they do not refund, I will start court proceedings.

Nationwide just pulled out of a court case where they were being taken to court under same legislation regarding debit charges. They stated reason as being uneconomic to defend and paid the £2k + costs etc. Same guy has 3 more banks in his sight, belief is that these charges are not defensible.

Thank you for the replies Crossy, thaiflyer1 and jflundy,

I have pretty much settled on the idea that nationwide are not going to change their minds, even after someone was murdered outside my house and I asked for a upgrade for personal safety reasons they still said no :D

Although, I cannot see what difference a debit or cash card makes to Nationwide, both of them need to have cleared funds in them.; I even told Nationwide I do not need an overdraft facilities.

Dont know if would help but ..

about a year ago K.Wife had the same "problem"and had been given the bog standard red card which although good for ATM witdrawals etc you cannot check your balance in LOS/overseas which is of course one of the big advantages of having the thing.

Anyway she had approached the local N/W branch a couple of times requesting an upgrade (to same as mine with the wee visa on it) but always No sorry...cant... :D

Why ?...err...Not enough.....wot?...not here long enough......eh.....Computer says NO....

AAAhhhhh..so its up to the computer ..YES....errr No ...So what on earth is the reason...usual thing....

Finally "well we dont really know".......

by this time I had got involved and one day happened to ask .."cant you just open her another A/C with the all singing and dancing card?"...........and of course he answer was ..."Dont see why not"

She now has the 2 accounts and even now it seems that the computer says that the old red card still CANNOT be upgraded...& thats it. :D ...So might be worth trying for a second NEW a/c :o