Need Help For My Grass Selection ,,, Lawn Grass

WilliamCave

I am looking for a grass with little maintenance and can grow in the sun . I had japanes grass before the flood and I am not to impressed with it. It is very very hard to keep. If u have pictures would be nice and name in Thai please of some options. I am thinking a thicker grass would be better wider stran

Thanks in advance

The Malay 'grass' is much easier to maintain than the Japanese. It's really a low-growing ground cover plant rather than a grass per-sé but it tolerates shade and sunlight. Some don't like the look mind.

The Malay 'grass' is much easier to maintain than the Japanese. It's really a low-growing ground cover plant rather than a grass per-sé but it tolerates shade and sunlight. Some don't like the look mind.

I don't like the look of that grass also, the japaneses grass is very thin grass ,,what do u think of a thicker blade of grass type?

The Jap grass is not very drought resistant. It is ok for me as I have a year round natural spring, I am pumping 45,000L (45 tons) of water a week to keep the grass lush at the moment. Of you get a Thai to cut it, make sure it is not cut to short and scalp it. I leave mine about 6cm and it is lush and great to play on.

PS, lawn mowers are dam_n cheap in Thailand. The cheapest food is from a farm supply shops, much cheaper fertilizer than in HomePro etc.

Edited by Chao Lao Beach

Malay grass is awesome feels good on the feet & is easier to cut than the jap grass, especially if you are using an electric mower. We grew 1 rai of Jap gras & a 1/2 a rai of malay grass at our last house.

On our new house we are using Malay only. It isn't finiky & comes back from the grave quickly. Our secret for a great lawn is using din dam from a farm....Loaded with key quai to inrich the soil with nitrogen + that & soil from farms usually have a good ground cover that adds nitrogen fixing to the soil. We never needed fertalizer for 5 years of growth.

Be aware if you mix Japanese grass with Malay , the Malay will eventually win & take over the Jap grass.

post-32440-0-72491100-1357568145_thumb.j

• 2 weeks later...

I think where you live might determine the grass sod/seed available. I have never seen seed at the nursery or shops but hear it's available from the university. (?) I have no idea what kind of grass we have (sod about 2 years now) but it's beautiful and we fertilize 4 times/year. That's in NE Thailand and if there are varieties available here, it's not obvious: every place seems to have the same thing but whatever it is, is really nice.