What Snake Skin Is This?

steffi

Can anybody identify the snake from the skin?

We've been seeing this skin near our garden hose each day now. Our house has dogs so it's unusual to find a snake this close to the house that hasn't been harassed by the big dogs.

This is on the outskirts of Khon Kaen city.

post-3478-1140436432_thumb.jpg

post-3478-1140436889_thumb.jpg

What kind of snakes are living in Thailand anyway? Last year we went "fishing" in one of those Waterhole's (the kind of pumping out the water, jump in the mud, and try to catch your fish) and one of the uncle's cought a snake. After he hit the snake with his parang, I asked my wife what kind it was,

"I don't know", is it dangerous? " I don't know " poisonous? "I don't know"

So maybe somebody on this board knows? It was about 2 1/2 ft long, beige coloured, coffin shapped head.

Tx

Darling where is my wallet??

We've been seeing this skin near our garden hose each day now. Our house has dogs so it's unusual to find a snake this close to the house that hasn't been harassed by the big dogs.

It looks like it could be a Cobra from the look of the skin.The skin always looks a little lighter in color once they shed it.Also because of the area in which found Issan.Around our home just north of Phi Mai we have cobras.Here is a photo of one that a friend had taken in the same MooBaan.

post-14263-1140456698_thumb.jpg

I forgot to add that they taste aloy makmak cooked with kapow.

Edited by blue eyes

What kind of snakes are living in Thailand anyway? Last year we went "fishing" in one of those Waterhole's (the kind of pumping out the water, jump in the mud, and try to catch your fish) and one of the uncle's cought a snake. After he hit the snake with his parang, I asked my wife what kind it was,

So maybe somebody on this board knows? It was about 2 1/2 ft long, beige coloured, coffin shapped head.

Tx

Going way off topic here, but what did you think of the whole drain the pond thing? When I saw one I was surprised that pretty much everything was kept, including a whole bucket of unbelievably tiny baby fish that I thought should maybe be thrown back and caught later.

Here's a picture of "big" fish that are being divided up with a bowl. The ones that were big enough to sort by hand are already in the buckets. Many of these I'd want to throw back, but at least they're kind of meaty. I didn't get a picture of the bucket of baby fish that'd all go back if I had a say (the alive ones). There was enough water left that some tiny fish could have been thrown back in, plus the rest of the river had a lot of water.

post-25148-1140497489_thumb.jpg

Edited by Carmine6

:o

Tx

Going way off topic here, but what did you think of the whole drain the pond thing? When I saw one I was surprised that pretty much everything was kept, including a whole bucket of unbelievably tiny baby fish that I thought should maybe be thrown back and caught later.

Here's a picture of "big" fish that are being divided up with a bowl. The ones that were big enough to sort by hand are already in the buckets. Many of these I'd want to throw back, but at least they're kind of meaty. I didn't get a picture of the bucket of baby fish that'd all go back if I had a say (the alive ones). There was enough water left that some tiny fish could have been thrown back in, plus the rest of the river had a lot of water.

Those small fish in the buket are called Pla-Mor (Doctor Fish) and they dont het much bigger than they are now. My Mrs cooks them in a Green Jelly like scented soup and they are real tasty, but also very boney. My Mrs has the skill of a cat when it come to taking the bones out before she feeds the white meat to me, whilst she is happy to suck the eyes and brains out of the head. :D

Thai Cobra.

I saw this one a while ago which was bigger and different to the normal ones. Locals say it is poisonous.

Is there any guide books to snakes in Thailand? Just for curiosities sake, there are plenty at my place.

post-22617-1140528106_thumb.jpg

I saw this one a while ago which was bigger and different to the normal ones. Locals say it is poisonous.

Is there any guide books to snakes in Thailand? Just for curiosities sake, there are plenty at my place.

post-22617-1140528106_thumb.jpg

Heres a link to Amazon's site , this is the best book on snakes in SE Asia I have seen.

Snakes in SEA

The snake looks like a type of Viper , any pics of it's head ?

Edited by chonabot

Here are a few pics that have to do with the "little"fish that you are talking about.When BBQ they are Aroy MAK MAK!!!! :D

"Fishing" for them...post-14263-1140556784_thumb.jpg

Caught in the rice patty dike trap...post-14263-1140556913_thumb.jpg

Eating with nam prik...post-14263-1140557378_thumb.jpg

I do not have to mention that you would also have a glass of ice filled with beer Chang to help wash it down with.....AROY MAK MAK!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh how I wish I was home now in Isaan with the family instead of here in the US :o:D:D

you should buy a labrador, they are good snake killers.

my dog, proudly presenting her last victim: snake.JPG

snake2.JPG and fighting for it

the snake ended up as dinner at our neighbours. they say it has been very tasty.

I've just got a Lab :o haven't seen her go any snakes yet, she is only 7 months old but it would be a sight. She would probably lick it to death, I cannot imagine her doing that but would be good if she did.

I never got a better shot of that snake in my other post, i scared it off quick and the thing jumped off my balcony to the ground, about 5 feet and I never saw it again.

I got in trouble last time I took on a snake from my missus. It took refuge in my shed and had to beat it to get it out and just as I was giving it one for good measure my wife yelled at me not to hurt it (from up stairs mind). Bless her Buddhist heart.

I'll check that book out, thanks chonabot.

Those small fish in the buket are called Pla-Mor (Doctor Fish) and they dont het much bigger than they are now. My Mrs cooks them in a Green Jelly like scented soup and they are real tasty, but also very boney. My Mrs has the skill of a cat when it come to taking the bones out before she feeds the white meat to me, whilst she is happy to suck the eyes and brains out of the head. :o

Yeah, only some of those were species that get bigger. There was a big bucket on the side that had smaller fish than these, about 1 cm - 2cm long and smaller in some cases. I assume those were mainly babies, but maybe I'm wrong. Anyway, I love the soups and the meat as well, but getting all those bones out just makes it unpleasant. I like the catfish type fish though since they're bigger.

The pond in this case was actually a low spot in the river. A much bigger production than in blue eyes' case. One of those irrigation pumps was used to suck the water up to that other level that they kind of dammed off. The kids were trying to finish up the catch and all the remaining big fish in there were stirring up the water, but they only caught tiny fish.

post-25148-1140586182_thumb.jpg

post-25148-1140586205_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Even though they should know better, Thai people will tell you with every snake they see that they are poisonous and will then proceed to kill it immediately -- even though that is not true for a lot of snake species in Thailand.

Funnily enough, with all the bigger ones, they can inform you quite correctly about how they would taste.

In this case, it look like cobra skin though, so poisonous would be the correct label; I would be careful with the dogs, if this cobra does not fear them, it might be a big one and as soon as it will lay eggs it might attack the dogs (or any human coming to close for that matter) proactively to protect the nest.

Thai Cobra.

Yep, I agree.

Are there spitting cobras in Isan?

I just heard last week a story from a neighbor about a patient being rushed to the local hospital by ambulance because of having been spit in the eyes by a cobra.

If this happens, is there danger of permanent blindness? Or is it only temporary discomfort?

Are there spitting cobras in Isan?

I just heard last week a story from a neighbor about a patient being rushed to the local hospital by ambulance because of having been spit in the eyes by a cobra.

If this happens, is there danger of permanent blindness? Or is it only temporary discomfort?

Seems to be possible. First website says the 'yellow' color is found in Thailand.

http://www.ecologyasia.com/verts/snakes/eq...tting_cobra.htm

http://www.kingsnake.com/elapids/spitting_asian_cobras.htm