Surat Thani Discuss Banning Guns From Koh Phangan

While I'm all for a gun ban, I find the reasoning here a little silly. Stephen Ashton was killed by some idiot with an ILLEGAL HOME MADE firearm. He wasn't supposed to have one in the first place. Even if the ban was in force that night, I really doubt it would have stopped the incident from happening.
I am by no means an expert. But in banning guns, they mean legally obtained guns....which I assume would be unlikely to be used in an illegal gun fight between rival drug dealers.coffee1.gif
Hmmm, so they can only ban the ones they know about, which happen to be legal? So someone with a legal gun at home, kept for protecting their family/property would banned, and all the illegal ones would still be in circulation? Seems a strange statement, although at least they are trying to address the issue.
part of the attraction of the moon parties (half, full, black, cloud obscured) is the perceived freedom from authority. the problem is that when something goes wrong everyone wants authority to step in. you can ban drugs (some drugs, half the party goers wont come) you can ban the dealers (some drugs, half the party goers wont come) Or you can apply the full, rule of law (none of the party goers will come). you cannot dance with the devil and then complain your shoes got burnt.

As has been proved in the UK, Australia, the US, and here in Thailand, gun bans do not work.

Some US states have no restrictions - no registration of either owner or weapon and no requirement for a permit, even for concealed carry. Yet, with an extimate of nearly a billion personally owned firearms, some not controlled at all, the US has half the gun deaths of Thailand, where gun ownership is very carefuly regulated...

The last sentence gave me a good laugh, as I have been to a couple of the Burning Man Festivals, where there is always a fire.

Given recent events in USA, advocating their gun laws as an example of virtue is perhaps slightly naive.

The point I was making is people go to KPN for reasons of freedom, and therefore, complaining when others use of freedom violates your own freedom advocates why the rule of law is required to operate in civilization.

However your sentiments about US gun law suggest that this idea would be difficult for you to understand.

My ex-wife was born in Samui and her family were from Baan Tai on Koh Phangan (her Mum was born on the Island) and so I speak with some experience on this matter.

Banning guns on Koh Phangan (and Samui and Tao) is a very good idea. I say this because practically every Thai (and an increasing amount of long term foreign expats) either has a shooter in their car, under the house (in a little tin box buried in the sand) or has very quick access to one via a friend.

In the case of the local (and not so local Nakon Sri Thamerat bad boys that often come and get casual bar work onthe beaches) owning a gun is usually the only option if you want to be taken seriously amongst your pikey mates.

To aggravate this further, there seems to be something inherently violent in the very nature with the island people, especially the youth, quick tempered, very easily offended and with no sense of consequence.

I noticed that many Islanders also lack any genuine compassion for foreigners and would almost seem to take a degree of pleasure in witnessing the beating or swindling tourists at the hands of the locals or other Thais. The reason the police are not (usually) effective in dealing with muggings, beatings, thefts and rapes on Koh Phangan, is that unless they can pin the crime onto an innocent Burmese or mainland character, they are too bloody scared to confront a local lad for fear of stirring up trouble from by his brothers, uncles, parents. A green cop sent to Koh Phangan is on a hardship posting and is well out of his comfort zone.

Ban guns. It will make a difference because pissed up knob heads will be more reluctant flashing them around in public shows of bravado, which is usually when an accident happens and somebody get's caught in the cross fire and gets hurt.

basically it;s a Crappy place to live or visit , Lawless unsafe

For those who think a gun ban is the solution, how many of you also complain about government abuse of power, yet you want to take self protection away from the people? Maybe a gun ban will deter people from flashing guns around, but if they are intent on using them they will not flaunt them, until they start shooting, and there may not be anyone around to stop them until the damage is done, because of a gun ban. . Of course, if one is a gun smuggler, a ban would be great news, because it will drive up the prices on the illegal guns that will be smuggled into any place where there is a demand. I have a suspicion that people who want guns banned are those who love the sight of innocent, bloody, dead people who have no means of defense and are killed by irresponsible people, e.g., criminals and the deranged. Flame away!

Sounds like a standard American gun loving member of the NRA statement to me, please correct me (which I'm sure you will) But isn't banning guns a bit of a no brainer? Why would doing nothing be better than doing something? Presumably this isn't just a cheap sound bite but an effort to stop this nail in the coffin for tourism and the associated funds? Controlling illegal weapons won't be easy, but if guns are banned, then the licensing/legal/illegal argument is moot! And no, I don't love the sight of innocent bloody dead people, bit OTT mate if you ask me!

Not all members of the NRA are American, and no, I am not a member of the NRA. I can understand that you think part of my remarks are OTT, but in the USA 20 kids were just murdered by a lunatic in a Gun Free Zone (which means that no one is allowed to have a gun in that area). And there was not a single person there with a weapon to stop them until the police arrived. Is it OTT to think that at least some of those children would still be alive had a teacher or security guard been armed. Instead 6 school officials were killed as well. The loonie saved a bullet for himself. Guns were banned from the school, a lot of good it did, and banning guns does not mean that loonies and criminals will not have access to them. . There are about 70 million people in Thailand who do not use those weapons in irresponsible ways. Can you really justify penalizing responsibility? If you do not want to have self-protection, that is your right and choice, but I don't want your choices imposed on me. In countries where there are laws, the criminals are those who break the laws. A law banning guns will act as a deterrent to law abiding citizens, but responsible, law abiding citizens do not abuse the use of their weapons. Laws only punish after the fact, but they never stop criminal activities, nor do they deter the mentally deranged. A rational person like yourself rightly says that we really don't need guns, and if we were all rational, civil and cooperative, we would might not need self protection, but unfortunately the world does have criminals, it has mentally deranged.

My ex-wife was born in Samui and her family were from Baan Tai on Koh Phangan (her Mum was born on the Island) and so I speak with some experience on this matter.

Banning guns on Koh Phangan (and Samui and Tao) is a very good idea. I say this because practically every Thai (and an increasing amount of long term foreign expats) either has a shooter in their car, under the house (in a little tin box buried in the sand) or has very quick access to one via a friend.

In the case of the local (and not so local Nakon Sri Thamerat bad boys that often come and get casual bar work onthe beaches) owning a gun is usually the only option if you want to be taken seriously amongst your pikey mates.

To aggravate this further, there seems to be something inherently violent in the very nature with the island people, especially the youth, quick tempered, very easily offended and with no sense of consequence.

I noticed that many Islanders also lack any genuine compassion for foreigners and would almost seem to take a degree of pleasure in witnessing the beating or swindling tourists at the hands of the locals or other Thais. The reason the police are not (usually) effective in dealing with muggings, beatings, thefts and rapes on Koh Phangan, is that unless they can pin the crime onto an innocent Burmese or mainland character, they are too bloody scared to confront a local lad for fear of stirring up trouble from by his brothers, uncles, parents. A green cop sent to Koh Phangan is on a hardship posting and is well out of his comfort zone.

Ban guns. It will make a difference because pissed up knob heads will be more reluctant flashing them around in public shows of bravado, which is usually when an accident happens and somebody get's caught in the cross fire and gets hurt.

basically it;s a Crappy place to live or visit , Lawless unsafe

Spoken by true experts :rolleyes:

The“expers“ are the ones who lived there for many years and it,s been condemed in the post .did you read ?Comprehend? Or maybe someones not an “expert“:(

Sent from my LG-P350 using Thaivisa Connect App

The"expers" are the ones who lived there for many years and it,s been condemed in the post .did you read ?Comprehend? Or maybe someones not an "expert"sad.png

Perhaps if you would have done a bit of research instead of shooting from the hip in a forum you are not familiar with, you will find out that the person that made that comment has lived on KPG for over 20+ years , is very heavily involved & integrated in the local community..

Perhaps you are the one that needs to comprehend.

• Like 2

The"expers" are the ones who lived there for many years and it,s been condemed in the post .did you read ?Comprehend? Or maybe someones not an "expert"sad.png

Perhaps if you would have done a bit of research instead of shooting from the hip in a forum you are not familiar with, you will find out that the person that made that comment has lived on KPG for over 20+ years , is very heavily involved & integrated in the local community..

Perhaps you are the one that needs to comprehend.

Perhaps there are some who are rather uncomfortable about bad publicity for a certain island

For those who think a gun ban is the solution, how many of you also complain about government abuse of power, yet you want to take self protection away from the people? Maybe a gun ban will deter people from flashing guns around, but if they are intent on using them they will not flaunt them, until they start shooting, and there may not be anyone around to stop them until the damage is done, because of a gun ban. . Of course, if one is a gun smuggler, a ban would be great news, because it will drive up the prices on the illegal guns that will be smuggled into any place where there is a demand. I have a suspicion that people who want guns banned are those who love the sight of innocent, bloody, dead people who have no means of defense and are killed by irresponsible people, e.g., criminals and the deranged. Flame away!

Sounds like a standard American gun loving member of the NRA statement to me, please correct me (which I'm sure you will) But isn't banning guns a bit of a no brainer? Why would doing nothing be better than doing something?

Because these punk criminals by definition don't obey the laws.

Presumably this isn't just a cheap sound bite but an effort to stop this nail in the coffin for tourism and the associated funds? Controlling illegal weapons won't be easy, but if guns are banned, then the licensing/legal/illegal argument is moot! And no, I don't love the sight of innocent bloody dead people, bit OTT mate if you ask me!

Well, all of the drugs there that night were illegal. The gun being carried was banned. Only the already banned gun caused a death. Only a homemade gun caused a death.

It was already banned. It was a law breaking criminal who committed the crime. That's what criminals do.

Make a law banning criminals. That will do it.

• Like 1

Now only the criminals will have weapons! I would think a more active police beat would be more of a threat to the bad guys than banning guns. Guns don't kill people. People kill people.

This may sound absolutely ridiculous to some, but a hardened and successful criminal it a lot less likely to pull a gun out in a crowded bar and start shooting people for spilling his pint than a spoilt little island scrote who has the unconditional support of his fortuna driving daddy. Guns make it much easier for a person to kill another person, especially when that person is out of his tiny mind on tiger beer and meth.

You clearly know the island well and have made a number of very informed points. thumbsup.gif

Great post. But unfortunately they haven't said they have any intention of banning guns just to stop issuing and renewing carry permits. They didn't say how are currently issue on Koh Phangan but I bet that they can be counted on the fingers of a mutilated hand and anyway there will be exceptions. In other words they have undertaken to do absolutely nothing of consequence.

What they really need to do is ban illegal guns but since these are already banned there is no need. Perhaps banning legal guns kept in homes should be considered. No doubt a small minority of gun crimes are committed with these.

What is totally lacking is a determination to get extremely tough in enforcing the law on illegal guns. Frequent road blocks with cops searching for guns. Stop and frisk around bars at night. Random checks at bars to check patrons and staff for guns. Not difficult to do but the police are willing to do it for fear of a backlash and because they all illegally carry guns off duty.

The simple answer to that is to pour in the military police for a couple of months. I accept everything that Skorzy said and I agree these Island boys are a rough crew, but the roughest crew in Thailand are the MP's. Nobody effs with them, nobody.

Khoh Phangan is the perfect place for the MP's to put down a marker to all Thailand as to what will happen if you don't get your act together. When they show up the regular police take a whitey.....just ask the CM police how smart they felt when the MP's rolled into town and shut down Spicey.

Koh Chang, being a national park, had a ban placed on alcohol years ago.

Uh-huh. That worked.

Good point. And drugs too. And that homemade gun too. All were already banned, but people call for more laws as if criminals obey them.

I will go to my grave still wondering why some people want to prohibit law abiding citizens from protecting themselves, especially in high crime areas where the criminals will always find a way to be armed, and are willing to kill the unarmed. I will go to my grave wondering why people believe those criminals will stop their violence because of a law which already is disobeyed, and only the law abiding will disarm and become more vulnerable.

In a violent culture, I want to be able to defend myself, my home, and my family wherever we are.

My definition of Hell is to be unarmed among violent armed criminals. That's why I'll never go to some places in Thailand. I'm a sitting duck for a gang.

Great post. But unfortunately they haven't said they have any intention of banning guns just to stop issuing and renewing carry permits. They didn't say how are currently issue on Koh Phangan but I bet that they can be counted on the fingers of a mutilated hand and anyway there will be exceptions. In other words they have undertaken to do absolutely nothing of consequence.

What they really need to do is ban illegal guns but since these are already banned there is no need. Perhaps banning legal guns kept in homes should be considered. No doubt a small minority of gun crimes are committed with these.

What is totally lacking is a determination to get extremely tough in enforcing the law on illegal guns. Frequent road blocks with cops searching for guns. Stop and frisk around bars at night. Random checks at bars to check patrons and staff for guns. Not difficult to do but the police are willing to do it for fear of a backlash and because they all illegally carry guns off duty.

The simple answer to that is to pour in the military police for a couple of months. I accept everything that Skorzy said and I agree these Island boys are a rough crew, but the roughest crew in Thailand are the MP's. Nobody effs with them, nobody.

Khoh Phangan is the perfect place for the MP's to put down a marker to all Thailand as to what will happen if you don't get your act together. When they show up the regular police take a whitey.....just ask the CM police how smart they felt when the MP's rolled into town and shut down Spicey.

i know Koh Phangyan can be dangerous but it is not quite bandit country. Isnt that part of its charactor taking the rough with the smooth. Freedome has its price. people shall be dangerously mess behaving. peopls shall be having fun and people shall be fighting.

Normally most fights end in a win or lose. Not normally a draw. i think people should toughen up rarther than putting yourselves into chaines and asking for the very same road block that you shall probably complain about a few weeks later.

For me and i am probably alone but i like lawlessness and each man fighting for themselves and sticking together for savival. I know there is an inocent casualty here so what is the out come. ban all motor bike rentals who do not have a renter lisence arrest everyone who does not wear helmets or have a lisence. stop and search random ( non local people ) for weapons.

If they wantr to make these areas gun free. then i am all for it i really don't care. as if someone wants to shoot somone then the gun comes out at the last minute then the killer is gone. so there is not much time for a gun fight anyway. unless one gets lucky.

Also i like the fact that born and bread Islanders have the power. It gives them identity and it also means that they call the shots which keeps the police in line

corr i wish back in the UK where i am from i had the same power over the police.

The only way i think the police could succefully police full moon parties is to go plane clothes from outside Koh Phangyan. If an iccodent occurs they re-act then leave the island the next day back to the mainland.

Bit like james bond 007. Send Bond on a mission to fight party gangs on tropical islands. i am sure he can find some money pennys whilst in action.

or if there is a problem and noone can help then there is always the A - Team or the cheaper B team if resources are low or the specially BA team

Edited by BigC

i know Koh Phangyan can be dangerous but it is not quite bandit country. Isnt that part of its charactor taking the rough with the smooth. Freedome has its price. people shall be dangerously mess behaving. peopls shall be having fun and people shall be fighting.

Normally most fights end in a win or lose. Not normally a draw. i think people should toughen up rarther than putting yourselves into chaines and asking for the very same road block that you shall probably complain about a few weeks later.

For me and i am probably alone but i like lawlessness and each man fighting for themselves and sticking together for savival. I know there is an inocent casualty here so what is the out come. ban all motor bike rentals who do not have a renter lisence arrest everyone who does not wear helmets or have a lisence. stop and search random ( non local people ) for weapons.

If they wantr to make these areas gun free. then i am all for it i really don't care. as if someone wants to shoot somone then the gun comes out at the last minute then the killer is gone. so there is not much time for a gun fight anyway. unless one gets lucky.

Also i like the fact that born and bread Islanders have the power. It gives them identity and it also means that they call the shots which keeps the police in line

corr i wish back in the UK where i am from i had the same power over the police.

The only way i think the police could succefully police full moon parties is to go plane clothes from outside Koh Phangyan. If an iccodent occurs they re-act then leave the island the next day back to the mainland.

Bit like james bond 007. Send Bond on a mission to fight party gangs on tropical islands. i am sure he can find some money pennys whilst in action.

or if there is a problem and noone can help then there is always the A - Team or the cheaper B team if resources are low or the specially BA team

Love your reply BigC. You're right of course, the danger element gives it an edge that some (myself included) found exhilarating. Up until a point of course. The point when the novelty wears off. The point when something goes wrong and things get scary. And then those little boys with big hair, shitty tattoos and rasta pants stop being funny and start giving you the fear, because you know they're all packing a piece and you know they're all stupid and random enough to use it if big daddy gives the word, or worse, if rasta baby is having a bad day with his farang bird and get's it into his tiny head that the best way to man it up in front of her is to stab/shoot some random white bloke, you just never know - wrong place wrong time, never kid yourself, these people have no love for farang. in fact, if one were to go one step further and give a clinical definition of the typical KPG teenage male, one might even go as far as to consider Narcissistic personality disorder.

What about Samui... There are lots of gun related crime and foreigners caring guns that threatening people there... Wake up

What? Lots of foreigners caring guns and threatening people on Samui???? I've never seen or heard about one. Who? Where? When? Sorry .. I just woke up.

Edited by notime
  • Like 1

What about Samui... There are lots of gun related crime and foreigners caring guns that threatening people there... Wake up

The Title Says:

Surat Thani Discuss Banning Guns From Koh Phangan

Keep on topic thanks.

• Like 1

Saw the governor on tv and the translation, accurate I presume, was ridiculous. Tourist areas will be "firearm free" by the end of the year, scams will carry major punishment etc., hope he believes it as no one else is likely to. It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear to be a fool than to open it and remove all doubt

People will believe it because this is what they want to hear. Oh, and they're stupid.

Same as in elections every four years in the States. Everyone forgets how the last guy lied, this one couldn't be lying because he is promising something I want.

• Like 1

Koh Chang, being a national park, had a ban placed on alcohol years ago.

Uh-huh. That worked.

Good point. And drugs too. And that homemade gun too. All were already banned, but people call for more laws as if criminals obey them.

I will go to my grave still wondering why some people want to prohibit law abiding citizens from protecting themselves, especially in high crime areas where the criminals will always find a way to be armed, and are willing to kill the unarmed. I will go to my grave wondering why people believe those criminals will stop their violence because of a law which already is disobeyed, and only the law abiding will disarm and become more vulnerable.

In a violent culture, I want to be able to defend myself, my home, and my family wherever we are.

My definition of Hell is to be unarmed among violent armed criminals. That's why I'll never go to some places in Thailand. I'm a sitting duck for a gang.

Stop wondering. Like the comedian said, "you can't fix stupid."

A few weeks ago, while walking down the street, I saw a woman visibly upset, jabbing her car remote at the driver's door of a BMW. I asked if I could help. She said she didn't know why the remote didn't work. I checked it, and told her the battery was dead. Battery? Yes, battery, you need a new one. Oh, where can I buy? The mall has them. Oh, that's so far. Do you have a car? Can you drive me? I said no, I wasn't going to drive her. She became upset again. I took the key on the remote's ring, opened her door and handed it back. You can drive yourself.

• Like 1

Saw the governor on tv and the translation, accurate I presume, was ridiculous. Tourist areas will be "firearm free" by the end of the year, scams will carry major punishment etc., hope he believes it as no one else is likely to. It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear to be a fool than to open it and remove all doubt

People will believe it because this is what they want to hear. Oh, and they're stupid.

Same as in elections every four years in the States. Everyone forgets how the last guy lied, this one couldn't be lying because he is promising something I want.

Governors are not elected politicians, they are appointed civil servants. Presumably they promise what they are told to promise.

What? Lots of foreigners caring guns and threatening people on Samui???? I've never seen or heard about one. Who? Where? When? Sorry .. I just woke up.

Been a number of Thai shootings , one down fisher mans village when it was packed with tourists and also solo and green mango I think ... But the point being each shooting there where alto of tourists around and one could have been hit by mistake ...

If the Thais want to shoot each other , that is fine , but they shouldn't do when there are hundreds of innocent bystanders near by