East Timor War Crimes Inquiry

East Timor war crimes inquiry

David Fickling in Sydney

Friday October 4, 2002

The Guardian

UN investigators have dug up the bodies of two Timorese fighters in an investigation into war crimes allegations against Australian SAS troops.

The bodies were buried in a mass grave on the outskirts of the East Timorese capital, Dili, and were exhumed at the end of August. They are expected to be examined shortly.

The allegations concern an incident on October 6 1999, shortly after Australian peace keeping troops were sent to Timor to end the bloodshed caused by pro-Indonesian militias after East Timor's vote for independence.

Two Australian SAS soldiers were injured in an ambush close to the border between east and west Timor. Two militia fighters were killed and nine captured.

A joint investigation by the UN, Australian police and military police is looking at allegations against SAS forces, including claims of torture, and that one of the victims was executed by Australian troops. Sydney's Daily Telegraph newspaper reported yesterday that investigators were trying to determine whether one of the dead had been shot at point-blank range.

Until 1998, the Australian SAS had maintained close ties with Indonesia's infamous special forces regiment, Kopassus, and the former pro-Indonesia militia leader, Joni Marques, claimed that he had been trained by the SAS.

It is only a claim Georgie, nothing proved here! There is also two sides to a story!

I am sure their story is somewhat different - ambushed, injured and still captured nine and 2 KIA - There also was a war going on at the time :o

Also when you talk about a unit, such as the SAS, stand to attention and salute!

Yes, yes, I know, there are two sides to every story, aren't there, but I've been telling you that for weeks, haven't I? Now, you keep telling me to give you facts about all your anti-American posts, very much like this one. You give me the facts. You try to prove that this isn't true, and then I'll have some more for you.

By the way, according to the Internet, you Ozzie SAS types have been naughty, naughty boys. Should provide us with some interesting reading for the next few months! :o