I'm Looking For A Gym With Free Weights

DavidTurnbull

I started lifting weights a few days ago and will be heading to Chiang Mai on January 12th, so I was wondering: what's the best gym for someone just looking to work with free weights? I'll be staying within the walls of the old city, although I'm pretty sure there's no fitness places within there, and the only exercises I'll be doing include squats, bench press, and deadlift, so I don't need an abundance of equipment. As long as I can do those three things, I'm good to go.

Cost isn't too big of an issue — I'd rather have somewhere pleasant than dirt cheap — being close to the walls is a big plus.

Thanks!

Fitness Thailand, on the north side of the moat.http://www.fitnessthailand.co.th/index.php

I'm struggling to locate it on Google Maps. Could someone give me a hand?(

(And thanks for the suggestion.)

Edit: Actually, nevermind. I found it. The location seems to be perfect. :)

Edited by DavidTurnbull

Unless you need the social setting, consider buying your own equipment... because the crowds can sure be an annoyance if you're serious about your training.

Where to buy equipment for deadlift and benchpress in Chiang Mai?

Sportsworld Kad Suan Kaew.

• 2 weeks later...

City Gym is your best bet in my opinion,

Duangtawan (spelling?) is pricey, 1200 baht for 1 month and has no squat rack or power rack, smith machine only,

Fitness Thailand has a power rack but their plates are tiny and not good for deadlifting, (olympic plates are 18 inches in diameter and are standard in a decent gym)

Also they dont have olympic bars, their bars (cheap) start to bend at 250lbs and can be quite dangerous if you re an advanced lifter.

City gym, squat rack, power rack, olympic plates and olympic barbells, in other words, a proper gym.

Sorry to get all technical, sounds like the OP wants to train in powerlifting, Squat, Bench and Deadlift so hopefully this message will help in your search

for a gym here in CM,

Good Luck.

Unless you need the social setting, consider buying your own equipment... because the crowds can sure be an annoyance if you're serious about your training.

Where to buy equipment for deadlift and benchpress in Chiang Mai?

As far as I know you cant, a friend ordered a power rack from bangkok, it came with a barbell and 250kg of weight, I believe he paid 55,000 baht but I might be wrong, sounds like a lot of money but its not that bad, with that one piece of equipment (power rack) you can do everything, bench press, squat, pull-ups, you name it, pretty sure that included delivery also,

Regards.

Duangtawan (spelling?) is pricey, 1200 baht for 1 month and has no squat rack or power rack, smith machine only,

Fitness Thailand has a power rack but their plates are tiny and not good for deadlifting, (olympic plates are 18 inches in diameter and are standard in a decent gym)

Also they dont have olympic bars, their bars (cheap) start to bend at 250lbs and can be quite dangerous if you re an advanced lifter.

City gym, squat rack, power rack, olympic plates and olympic barbells, in other words, a proper gym.

Sorry to get all technical, sounds like the OP wants to train in powerlifting, Squat, Bench and Deadlift so hopefully this message will help in your search

for a gym here in CM,

Good Luck.

Where abouts is City Gym please.

for a gym here in CM,

Good Luck.

If you go up the mae-rim highway heading out of town, turn left at the first set of traffic lifts, go up that road and then take the first left again which is about

1km in, go down that road and about 100m turn left again onto Soi Pothamaram 9 and its at the end of the soi on the corner.

http://www.bing.com/maps/default.aspx?v=2&pc=FACEBK&mid=8100&rtp=adr.~pos.18.816668545301_98.976734095786_City+Gym_Chiang+Mai%2C+Thailand&cp=18.816668545301~98.976734095786&lvl=16&sty=r&rtop=0~0~0~&mode=D&FORM=FBKPL2&mkt=en-US

P.S. I ve attached a link but not sure if I did it right,

Let me kow if you have any trouble finding the gym,

Regards.

for a gym here in CM,

Good Luck.

If you go up the mae-rim highway heading out of town, turn left at the first set of traffic lifts, go up that road and then take the first left again which is about

1km in, go down that road and about 100m turn left again onto Soi Pothamaram 9 and its at the end of the soi on the corner.

http://www.bing.com/...BKPL2&mkt=en-US

Regards.

Thanks for that Waffle but unfortunately i'm a long a long way away so it's back to the drawing board !

for a gym here in CM,

Good Luck.

http://www.bing.com/...BKPL2&mkt=en-US

Regards.

Thanks for that Waffle but unfortunately i'm a long a long way away so it's back to the drawing board !

No worries Bud, if you re based in around the town center I would probarly go with fitness thailand, overall pros and cons its probarly

the best, having said that I know many people who train in Duangtawan and are happy there, they have a decent swimming pool and above average

gym.

Regards

Fitness Thailand and the gym at Duangtawan Hotel are probably your closest bets to the Old City. A little further away, north-west from the Old City is Powerhouse Gym.

It on Soi 6, Nimmanhaemin Road. Clean with good setup of free weights and machines. They do have a Squat Rack and a "Smith Rack". The shower/locker facilities are good also. I have been going there for about ten months now and am very satisfied. Staff is polite and helpful and I have had no problems with any of the other patrons. When something breaks, they are on it right away and get it fixed.

I signed up for a "mid-day" plan that allows me to train there from 10:00 to 16:00. It was 9500baht for one year. Since I am retired and have no "pressing engagements" during the day, that plan suited me fine. I'm sure they have monthly plans that allow full access at all open hours also. You can just walk in and they will give you a tour of the place and answer any questions. I'd recommend that you just stop by for a visit.

To get to Powerhouse Gym:

Go NW along Huay Kaew Road, turn left onto Nimmanhaemin Road. Going south on Nimmanhaemin, you turn right onto Soi 6. The turn is just prior to a bank and a Tesco Express. Continue on Soi 6 passing Empire Residence and Punna Residence on your left. Just after Punna Residence, take a left. That brings you into Punna Place "shopping center". If you run into the statue of the 3-headed Elephant, you've gone too far, turn around. (It's a round-about) There is a number of restaurants and other shops there. Powerhouse Gym is at the southern end of Punna Place.

This http://www.mapjack.com/?mWcyUrPWac5E shows Soi6 (circa 2009?) from Nimmanhaemin Road. The building with all the green tarps is all finished now. It's Empire Residence and today you would be looking right at Tesco Express and the bank right on the corner of the building.