Which Is Better...thai Price Tag Vs British Quality?

krisb

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thai price is fine for anything where safety and security isn't a concern. Start on tools, electrical appliances safety devices and give me western (not just UK) Quality everytime. Classic example I use an adaptor to plug my UK plug into my Thai socket, these adaptors last 2-3 weeks before they melt because a cheap inferior metal is used on the contacts that heats up and causes the shell to melt. Similar item bought in UK is now 2 years old.

Ok tthen, Im a tradesman, we use Makita grinding disks here in Aus which are made in Thailand. So that kind of throws the safety security thing out the window. Now the adapter you mention I also have a Thai 1 and its been fine for ages now and the UK adapter you have, was it made in UK?

Kris, do makita grinding disks cost a lot less as other disks ore not ? f not then its not Thai price, as far as i know about Makita is that is a great brand that is certainly not cheap. I don't care where something is made i care about the quality of it. If its Thai and quality im happy to buy it.

No they arent cheaper at all, but then it shows Thai quality. Makita is up there with the best.

Since when is Makita Thai ?

Because soemthing is produced in Thailand under foreign supervision and quality control doesn't make it a Thai product.

How do you define "British Quality" ? I know the term German quality, but never heard of British quality.

Maybe that is because there is no such thing biggrin.png

How about the language you are speaking ?

I never knew that a language could be considered a product, let stand it could have a quality grade.

I have a hunch a few contributors here are genuinely behind the times, the vast majority of the weak and shoddy manufacturers disappeared from the UK in the 70's and 80's. If you go to China these days they have an insatiable appetite for British goods because they know they are buying quality.

The only way British companies can survive in the export market is by producing quality, as the international markets won't stand for shoddy goods at a premium price.

• Like 1

I have a hunch a few contributors here are genuinely behind the times, the vast majority of the weak and shoddy manufacturers disappeared from the UK in the 70's and 80's. If you go to China these days they have an insatiable appetite for British goods because they know they are buying quality.

The only way British companies can survive in the export market is by producing quality, as the international markets won't stand for shoddy goods at a premium price.

Come on, the British companies the Chinese bought was because nobody else wanted them.

Ridiculous thread.

If you disagree then please post a non subjective working definition for quality.

I believe that Quality, when built into a product, generates emotions and feelings within those who have taken part in it's creation.

Emotions and feelings are entirely subjective, thus too, is your definition for quality.

Genuine question...........

When was the last time you bought a poor quality British manufactured item?

What was it and what went wrong? Did you get recompense or an exchange for it?

British Leyland?

when was the last time you heard an issue with Canadian, German, Australian manufacture?

the term British quality is only used ... wait for it ... if you are british.

And Austin never made good on that shitty Marina my gay uncle gave me when i turned 16

How do you define "British Quality" ? I know the term German quality, but never heard of British quality.

Maybe that is because there is no such thing biggrin.png

How about the language you are speaking ?

I never knew that a language could be considered a product, let stand it could have a quality grade.

let alone the language used by the english here (hear).

• Like 1

let alone the language used by the english here (hear).

That's not a quality grade you describe, but rather quality issues. biggrin.png

British Leyland?

when was the last time you heard an issue with Canadian, German, Australian manufacture?

And Austin never made good on that shitty Marina my gay uncle gave me when i turned 16

What decade was that? 70's?? 80's?? you've just proven my point.

You're scraping the bottom of the barrel if the best you can do is bring up 30 year old stories.

• Like 1

Come on, the British companies the Chinese bought was because nobody else wanted them.

You have no idea how wrong you are

British Leyland?

You're scraping the bottom of the barrel if the best you can do is bring up 30 year old stories.

it was more in jest than serious, and it was in the late (mid) 80s. It was orange.

anyways my point on **insert nationality here** quality stands

http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/all-things-scottish/1353543/

Edited by tinfoilhat

Fair enough.....I'm asking a genuine question though. There was a lot of dross pouring out of British factories 30 years ago, I don't think that's the case now.

The pity now is that even though we seem to have solved the quality control issues, we've lost vast swathes of industrial production.

A good percentage of what we have left is foreign owned too. I don't have a problem with that, it just shows that there are plenty of international companies that have faith in UK production

So I have 2 choices Brit quality or Thai price? Thanks I'll pass on both and buy third country. Oh the guy who says Aus tools are made in Thailand; one must realize that Thailand exports are quite good and not cheap. Also Thailand exports are to be exported and not sold in Thailand.

British Leyland?

it was more in jest than serious, and it was in the late (mid) 80s. It was orange.

They stopped manufacture of the Marina in 1980.

British Leyland?

it wasn't new, it was his old car

Edited by tinfoilhat

it wasn't new, it was his old car

Ye gods, tinfoil, he must've really had it in for you.... not only a Marina, but not even a new one!! whistling.gif

• Like 1

Thai price is fine for anything where safety and security isn't a concern. Start on tools, electrical appliances safety devices and give me western (not just UK) Quality everytime. Classic example I use an adaptor to plug my UK plug into my Thai socket, these adaptors last 2-3 weeks before they melt because a cheap inferior metal is used on the contacts that heats up and causes the shell to melt. Similar item bought in UK is now 2 years old.

Ok tthen, Im a tradesman, we use Makita grinding disks here in Aus which are made in Thailand. So that kind of throws the safety security thing out the window. Now the adapter you mention I also have a Thai 1 and its been fine for ages now and the UK adapter you have, was it made in UK?

Kris, do makita grinding disks cost a lot less as other disks ore not ? f not then its not Thai price, as far as i know about Makita is that is a great brand that is certainly not cheap. I don't care where something is made i care about the quality of it. If its Thai and quality im happy to buy it.

I would imagine if those discs did not pass Australian standards they would be taken off the shelves pdq.

Ok - I've scratched my head to think of some quality products from Britain.

It's true we are not a powerhouse manufacturer these days - although we have many things to be proud of.

We produce some beautiful luxury cars - as mentioned previously, but on a small scale.

I've found 2 areas where we are still world leaders - very current and steeped in history at the same time.

Also very cool - for a change :)

Marshall_Amplifiers_zps83b77854.jpg

Goes hand in hand with..........

Scotch_whiskies_zpsa1b25946.jpg

Not forgetting Marshall's little cousin..

orange_zpsd33a0369.gif

Much cooler than watches and chocolate :)

Ok - I've scratched my head to think of some quality products from Britain.

It's true we are not a powerhouse manufacturer these days - although we have many things to be proud of.

We produce some beautiful luxury cars - as mentioned previously, but on a small scale.

I've found 2 areas where we are still world leaders - very current and steeped in history at the same time.

Also very cool - for a change smile.png

Marshall_Amplifiers_zps83b77854.jpg

Most of the Marshall range is not made in the UK, it is made in China/India and Vietnam.

http://www.marshallforum.com/marshall-amps/13179-all-marshalls-now-made-china.html