Ownership Of Land In Burma , Laos

I think I read some time ago that Loas allows 100% foreign ownership. I could be wrong though.

My farther in laws wife is kind of middle class Burmese and I was think about we could make some investment together but the just of it went- unless family members are living on the land or very well connected your liable to have it taken over and so not worth the risk. Same problem applies in Loas. But then this is the kind of thing westerners say about Thailand and could be just nerves of Thailand people about investing in another country much the same.

Be interesting to hear any personal experiences.

I think I read some time ago that Loas allows 100% foreign ownership. I could be wrong though.

My farther in laws wife is kind of middle class Burmese and I was think about we could make some investment together but the just of it went- unless family members are living on the land or very well connected your liable to have it taken over and so not worth the risk. Same problem applies in Loas. But then this is the kind of thing westerners say about Thailand and could be just nerves of Thailand people about investing in another country much the same.

Can you please translate that into English or some other language?

• Like 1

Can you please translate that into English or some other language?

If you don't understand you will get screwed

In reference to Burma and Laos, remember these are communist countries. The government can resend all private ownership of land at any time it wants.

Since when is Myanmar a communist country? It is a military dictator (Than Shwe since 92) who rules the country.

I've recently relocated to Laos after years in Thailand, will be opening a resort here later this year. For the past year I have been dealing with all the redtape, paperwork and formalities. In a nutshell, foreigners (Thais included) cannot own land in Laos outright. Maximum is a 30 year renewable leasehold. Land can be purchased in proxy using a Lao nationals name, but in the absence of any legal system, lawyers, waterproof contracts, this is inadvisable. Bear in mind that a majority 'legally binding' contracts such as for rental, it will be the village headman and/or district chief who will witness, sign and guarantee the agreement in the absence of any lawyers. As guaranteed, if not more so. However, foreigners ARE allowed to 100% own their business, an option called 'Foreigner Investment Licence'. It's an expensive, time consuming process and you have to prove substantial investment capital. It's the safest option in Laos for running your own business, and automatically provides a 12 month B2 business visa, work permit and all important residency card. Other options are joint business venture, or a partnership with a Lao. But back to your original question - no, foreigners including Thais, cannot buy property, only rent or lease. Hope this helps you :-)

• Like 2

One more thing ;-) ....post AEC 2015, I believe Thais will be able to own land.

Interesting. Would that apply across all ASEAN for citizen of each country to own land on every other country? So Burma, Cambodia etc etc etc? Could be some booming beachside locations

• 2 weeks later...

Proxy ownership allowed, private foreign ownership 800 sq/m allowed in laos

linkedIn

Jerrold&Son

yes, new rule 2012... but needs a minimum investment of several 100's k$ - JClao might have an article about this. So far this rule benefits mostly chinese AFAIK. And to reconfirm, all land in communist Lao ultimately belongs to the state: new road, track, special economic zone etc. and you're out with a ridiculously small payment by the gov't.

I used to live on the Mekong a few km outside Vientiane, my landlord got 6k$ for 400 sqm while equivalent land adjacent to the new road being built instead of the house was worth (and bought) over 100k$... A Lao neighbor killed himself as he was born in the house and had recently decided to live there, returning from Europe, for his remaining years.

I had to move to the sticks as land and rental prices have quickly soared beyond my budget

100's if not 1000's of families have lost their homes recently because of development / land grabbing etc. people complaining are bullied / jailed... not a popular subject around here.