Water Purifacation

Negita43

When I lived in Spain I had a water purifacation system that comprised

Filters followed by UV followed by an undersink unit that had filters and reverse osmosis

I am trying to get the same system out here BUT I can't find a unit that has both UV AND reverse osmosis

The sales people tell me that with reverse osmosis you don't need to have UV - but they would wouldn't they?

My understanding is that UV eliminates Bacteria and reverse osmosis eliminates chemical contaminants so I would have thought both are required.

Any experts and opinions, welcomed.

Reverse osmosis will eliminate any molecule larger than the pore size used in the filter. Some pathogens can bypass but maybe not to worry. (?) The main thing is that consumer units aren't that efficient and if buying in Thailand I would check the specs carefully.

Pure Water Filters has a wide selection of filtering systems......on their 5 pages of products, I don't see anything that has both a RO and a UV system.

ww.purefilter.com/

Having said that, an Italian in the neighborhood run a drinking water company and employs an RO and UV system......Thai manufactured and separate products.

• 1 month later...

Unless you have enormous demand for potable water, you probably don't save anything by buying filter systems. You can get the jug water for 10 baht and put on top a cooler for a lot less than it would cost for filter system over time. Or, just put bleach in your tank and don't worry about it.

Some 12 years ago when I first build my house I did buy a RO system with

a UV light. I replaced it a few years ago with a newer system but only RO ....

If I remember correctly, I picked up that unit back than at MBK in bkk ....

Hope this helps ...

luudee

Question, do the locals just drink the water from the tap, if they do and are not dying why can]t you.

Government checks the water and tells if it is safe to drink or not.

Live in the sticks, have well water, it's safe to drink, but doesn't taste good. Get our drinking water from a spring, others in the village use rain water. No cost. Jim

Question, do the locals just drink the water from the tap, if they do and are not dying why can]t you?

We checked with the village headman when we started building. He said the locals don't drink the mains (blue pipe) water. They drink, depending on availability, their own well water, rain water or bottled water.

Our mains water is very hard and furs up with sandy coloured marks (iron?) everywhere where it evaporates (including shower heads, cysterns and the tap outlet mesh).

We have a small multi-chamber filter, incl. Ion-exchange and UV for drinking water, under the sink. Everything else is side-outlet storage tanks (ground & loft level).

We may have to install a larger ion-exchange unit on the (pumped) line to the loft tanks, to prevent all our shower units furring up.

Question, do the locals just drink the water from the tap, if they do and are not dying why can]t you. Government checks the water and tells if it is safe to drink or not. Live in the sticks, have well water, it's safe to drink, but doesn't taste good. Get our drinking water from a spring, others in the village use rain water. No cost. Jim

That's a funny question !

When I was building my house, one of the first things we did, was

to drill a well (30 m deep). The construction crew drank that water

and showered with it. I'm sure I drunk a bit of it as well, and definitely

had a few showers on my construction site. Funny things was after

a shower, you usually had more sand in your hair than before the

shower ! There was no filter at all at that time.

Once my house was finished and we had a basic sand/dust filter

in place, we did a blind water test. We filled up 3 bottles with water,

one from my well, one was Chang drinking water and the other

was Sign drinking water. My well water came back as the best,

"purest" drinking water, with the Sign water as being full of chemical

and pollutants ... Chang was somewhere in between ...

It was some lab in bkk that did the test ... the bottles where only

numbered, no other indication ...

Cheers,

luudee

Question, do the locals just drink the water from the tap, if they do and are not dying why can]t you. Government checks the water and tells if it is safe to drink or not. Live in the sticks, have well water, it's safe to drink, but doesn't taste good. Get our drinking water from a spring, others in the village use rain water. No cost. Jim

Cheers,

luudee

That's a good story luudee and if it's true, perhaps you could post the "lab in bkk" that did the test. I would like to test our water, but nobody here has any idea how that would be done. I really doubt it's as simple as what you say.

bankruatsteve

Go to the Amphor office, they collect samples for testing of village wells etc. Out here they seam to be on the ball at least. Hand water pumps have signs, fit to drink.

May well be just a rural program, but they seem to take public health seriously. Free mosquito poison for areas they don't spray themselves, district child nurse around weighing and measuring kids.

Don't get people out here going to hospital for bad water. jim

bankruatsteve

Go to the Amphor office, they collect samples for testing of village wells etc. Out here they seam to be on the ball at least. Hand water pumps have signs, fit to drink.

May well be just a rural program, but they seem to take public health seriously. Free mosquito poison for areas they don't spray themselves, district child nurse around weighing and measuring kids.

Your Ampur is collecting? Or, you are submitting for test? In Udon Thani, I don't see that, but would be interested if anybody knows.

bankruatsteve

Your Ampur is collecting? Or, you are submitting for test? In Udon Thani, I don't see that, but would be interested if anybody knows.

We are out in the back of beyond and the Amphur comes out, or who ever they use, collects and tests. Water at the hand pump is fine, but most don't use it for drinking. Old ways die hard. They collect spring water, rain water or mountain stream water. Jim Edited by jamescollister

Cheers,

luudee

Can you supply contact details for the lab, Got some pond water i want testing for pollutants.