Thailand Ranks Among The World's Best Places For North Americans To Retire

webfact

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IL has financial interests in all of these countries. Especially in the area of promoting real estate. One reason I tend to discount what they publish. Seems to be very biased.

Understood. But IL seems to mostly promote countries with very attractive (and affordable) retirement visa programs, usually ones that actually provide SPECIAL BENEFITS to retirees. So actually I think pretty much every country they promote is worth considering for that reason alone.
  • Like 1

IL has financial interests in all of these countries. Especially in the area of promoting real estate. One reason I tend to discount what they publish. Seems to be very biased.

Understood. But IL seems to mostly promote countries with very attractive (and affordable) retirement visa programs, usually ones that actually provide SPECIAL BENEFITS to retirees. So actually I think pretty much every country they promote is worth considering for that reason alone.

This commercial aspect does make you take what they say with a grain of salt? Kinda like listening to a car dealer about what car is best to buy?

I use to be a subscriber several years ago, but it was just too commercial. As you know, I spent a fair amount of time in these countries investigating livability. There's more to it than just a retirement visa program. wai2.gif

Costa Rica ain't cheap any more...nor is Panama. IMHO. wai2.gif

The best place for N.Americans to retire is CUBA. Opening up this year. Check it out,so close to home,and cheap.

And there is nothing really cheap about the place. About 3 times the price of Mexico.

Gllad you like Mexico, but it is a hole in my opinion. Sorry, just my opinion and people should research it well before venturing into Mexico. Border patrol, cops and Narcos will all kidnap your butt if your in wrong place at wrong time and Maerican embassy will not come after you. Several months ago some of the Mexico millitary cops that were cartel even shot up a convoy full of American CIA agents. Lucky for them they were in bullet proof vehicles and no one got killed, but the Narco dudes are afraid if nothing, armed to the teeth and rather make your suffer as much as possible than just kill you.

Why chance it? I would not set foot in that country any more and I am in Costa Rica and Nicaragua area every month, sometimes twice a month. Used to surf at several spots in Mexico, but too many rapes, kidnaps and murders of campers and surfers in those areas. Recently a group of young girls on a church retreat or youth mission were raped, tortured and killed. The stuff about safe if not into drugs is bs.

• Like 1

The best place for N.Americans to retire is CUBA. Opening up this year. Check it out,so close to home,and cheap.

And there is nothing really cheap about the place. About 3 times the price of Mexico.

Gllad you like Mexico, but it is a hole in my opinion. Sorry, just my opinion and people should research it well before venturing into Mexico. Border patrol, cops and Narcos will all kidnap your butt if your in wrong place at wrong time and Maerican embassy will not come after you. Several months ago some of the Mexico millitary cops that were cartel even shot up a convoy full of American CIA agents. Lucky for them they were in bullet proof vehicles and no one got killed, but the Narco dudes are afraid if nothing, armed to the teeth and rather make your suffer as much as possible than just kill you.

Why chance it? I would not set foot in that country any more and I am in Costa Rica and Nicaragua area every month, sometimes twice a month. Used to surf at several spots in Mexico, but too many rapes, kidnaps and murders of campers and surfers in those areas. Recently a group of young girls on a church retreat or youth mission were raped, tortured and killed. The stuff about safe if not into drugs is bs.

Mexico is getting worse...but so are many places around the world. We like CR, but not cheap. Property near the beach is expensive and the "green" season is much tougher there than here. Especially if you are on the East coast.

Nicaragua was interesting, but quite dangerous. We encountered crime several times during our 3 week visit there. IMHO. wai2.gif

You've got some great experience. Can you join in the conversation here?

This commercial aspect does make you take what they say with a grain of salt? Kinda like listening to a car dealer about what car is best to buy?

I use to be a subscriber several years ago, but it was just too commercial. As you know, I spent a fair amount of time in these countries investigating livability. There's more to it than just a retirement visa program. wai2.gif

Costa Rica ain't cheap any more...nor is Panama. IMHO. wai2.gif

Nor is Thailand. Of course, people need to check out places personally and preferably extensively.

Also, they aren't pushing Costa Rica so much in my view of its diminishing popularity, and with Panama they do a lot of content on affordable places outside the city. I guess I am defending them. Because they were there for decades before Americans retiring abroad became more mainstream. I think its a good thing that more Americans are seriously considering their international options.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

Mexico is getting worse...but so are many places around the world. We like CR, but not cheap. Property near the beach is expensive and the "green" season is much tougher there than here. Especially if you are on the East coast.

Nicaragua was interesting, but quite dangerous. We encountered crime several times during our 3 week visit there. IMHO. wai2.gif

You've got some great experience. Can you join in the conversation here?

Yes, property got very expensive on or near beach. I started investing in propert down there 12 years ago. Bought one piece of commercial property for like $ 800, sold for $10,000 a year later 2002. Similar lot in similar location would be $30,000 plus now.

US coastal property hit crazy highs in 2004-2007. At one point, beach front was costing $2.5 to $3.0 on Florida Gulf coast for crappy old center block homes. That was cheapest could get on ocean. People started looking to places like Costa Rica for beach front and drove prices up exponentially in mid 2000s. My place in Costa Rica has tripled in value in 9 years and I over paid for location back in 2003.

The infrastructure is a mess, food outside international hotels is shakey, transport is almost non-existant, locals are treated very poorly by the police...who are extremely corrupt. Beautiful country, but has issues to deal with. I've been a few times.

Me too, and ditto. I love the most of the people and much about the culture, but the "romantic Cuban revolution" died a long time ago. A shame.

The infrastructure is a mess, food outside international hotels is shakey, transport is almost non-existant, locals are treated very poorly by the police...who are extremely corrupt. Beautiful country, but has issues to deal with. I've been a few times.

Me too, and ditto. I love the most of the people and much about the culture, but the "romantic Cuban revolution" died a long time ago. A shame.

Yeah, for sure, but . . . a big but at that . . . if they can get straightened out politically and embargo is lifted eventually, I would imagine this place could wind up being pretty cool. Many years off though. I have always thought Cuba was such a wasted opportunity given that it is even closer than Carribean and has so much to offer from an environmental perspective. A big problem is just the uneducated impovershed culture. That could either be a lingering problem or they could really use that as drive to rebuild the country and better their lives provided the opportunity. That being said it may stay just the same politically, culturally and economically fore ever.

Glad you like Mexico, but it is a hole in my opinion. Sorry, just my opinion and people should research it well before venturing into Mexico. Border patrol, cops and Narcos will all kidnap your butt

Here's an idea.....don't live near the border.

Yeah, for sure, but . . . a big but at that . . . if they can get straightened out politically and embargo is lifted eventually, I would imagine this place could wind up being pretty cool. Many years off though. I have always thought Cuba was such a wasted opportunity given that it is even closer than Carribean and has so much to offer from an environmental perspective. A big problem is just the uneducated impovershed culture. That could either be a lingering problem or they could really use that as drive to rebuild the country and better their lives provided the opportunity. That being said it may stay just the same politically, culturally and economically fore ever.

My fears about the future of Cuba are probably the same fears the Castros have: Miami South. Hyper-capitalism gone crazy (again). Drunk <deleted> with too much discretionary income puking on the Malecon.

Ecuador was No 1 with 91.9 points.

International Living's Retirement Index ranks destinations across eight crucial categories - real estate, special retirement benefits, cost of living, ease of integration, entertainment and amenities, healthcare, retirement infrastructure and climate.

Cool but here is the wierd thing, I know of three people who were physically mugged in yes Ecuador. I can almost hear people yelling on TV, "doesn't that happen in other countries not just Ecuador?" Yep ... but three people I know in some way?

Edited by LomSak27

International Living's Retirement Index ranks destinations across eight crucial categories - real estate, special retirement benefits, cost of living, ease of integration, entertainment and amenities, healthcare, retirement infrastructure and climate.

Cool but here is the wierd thing, I know of three people who were physically mugged in yes Ecuador. I can almost hear people yelling on TV, "doesn't that happen in other countries not just Ecuador?" Yep ... but three people I know in some way?

Ecuador has a big problem with crime. We were in Quito. We knew the big plaza was a place where pickpockets were rampant. Signs were even posted as you walked into the plaza. Lonely Planet's book warned us. The hotel warned us. Other travelers warned us. Guess what. Our friends, holding hands to protect their pockets, got hit. Unreal how good these criminals are.

Many people we were traveling with got hit one way or the other. Razor blade to the pocket seemed to be the number one method. I'd guess of the several hundred travelers we met over 3 months, about 1/3rd had been hit one way or the other. My travel buddy lost his day pack. One distracted him while he was in the bus terminal while another took the pack.

Yes, every travel story I've heard involving Ecuador in recent years involved the word robbed, even from a 7.5 ft Norwegian guy.

Not just muggings in Guayquil and Quito, but highwaymen stopping buses in the countryside.

But tsk tsk, negativity is not allowed, focus on the nice sunshine instead. laugh.png

Notice that "crime" and "personal safety" aren't among the criteria listed above in determining the rankings... unless you lump getting mugged under "special retirement benefits." tongue.png

That's why people are interested in retiring in CUENCA, not Quito.

Do a google search on "cuenca ecuador crime safety". Many articles pop up...all discussing the crime problem there. Not super bad, but nowhere near perfect. Here's one:

http://writeronthero...ruth_vs_Fiction

Name a crime free city? The point is Quito sounds unlivable, while Cuenca sounds manageable.

Cuba is so full of potential if can ever get on track politically.

Just saw a really good BBC show Cuba and the new real estate market. Seems it's allowed to sell and buy property now. Before, you could only exchange it (unless you were connected). They talked about one place going for 800K USD. 8 bedroom, 8 bath, 2 jacuzzis, 3 gyms...old colonial home. Expensive.

Also, Cuban Americans can now visit any time they like, and are bringing in loads of goods with them...and money. Cuba will change drastically in the near future.