No Job. No Wife. Not 50.

Hi folks

I am from Norway and have been living in Thailand for a while now, on double tourist visas from Penang, which give me 60 days + 30 days extension at immigration, then I cross the border and do it the 2nd time. But I am getting tired of this and would like to get a non-immigrant visa so I could live here and only hop over the border to Poipet every 90 days.

- I have no job and don't want any. I was given early retirement for medical reasons and live on a pension from home.

- I have no Thai wife, and do not support any Thai national.

- I am still far from 50, but my income would have been enough to qualify for retirement visa if I was old enough.

What to do? Go to Perth to apply for a non-immigrant visa? I am not sure if I fit into any of their categories. I don't want to go all the way to Australia only to have my application rejected.

Thanks in advance for your advice. :o

Go to the Thai Consul in Brisbane, Qld and get a type 'O' visa.

You will need to show proof of income or a healthy bank balance to prove that you can support yourself.

Dead easy, apart from the airfare..... check out fares of Singaporeair.com thru someone like chawlatravel.com

P.M. me if you need more info.

regards,

udon.

I'm 33, and in much the same boat as Odin (no job in Thailand, no wife, etc). I have been staying in Thailand on the 30 day visas and tourist visas up until now, but the rule changes coming up later this year have me worried.

What proof of income from overseas is required? Is a copy of my Thai bank account passbook showing deposits averaging over 65,000 baht/month sufficient evidence to get the O visa for a year?

I have no interest in working in Thailand as my UK-based "telecommute job" over the Internet provides plenty of money already. All I want is an ironclad visa to show the Thai authorities I have overseas income and do not need to work here. I would not have any worries at all if I was over 50, but since I am significantly under the "correct" age I am concerned about how to get the O visa and banish any visa worries once and for all.

Thanks for any assistance. Udon has at kindly provided a place for myself and Odin to go (Brisbane), now I need to know what sort of specific paperwork I need to 'prove' overseas income.

I attempted same in Singapore (which I know wasnt smartest place to try it) - no job, under 50 and not married to thai. I was however supporting several kids (born in Thailand), absolute no probs with financials (and could prove it) plus owned an expensive condo in Thailand plus kids DNA evidence plus lived with thai for years blah blah. They flatly refused even though Bangkok immigration had told me it was ok. No marriage cert - no non immigrant visa.

Subsequently got legally married and went back - she didnt even look at the other docs - all she wanted to see was the marriage cert and I got the non immigrant visa in five minutes. I wouldnt be so certain that Brisbane is any different - why would the rules vary so much from one developed country to another?

I wouldnt be so certain that Brisbane is any different - why would the rules vary so much from one developed country to another?

They probbaly shouldn't but this is Thailand (TIT) and that's the way it is. :o

Singapore is the wrong consular office to try to obtain visas from without the avalanche of supporting documentation that they deem correct.

I attempted same in Singapore (which I know wasnt smartest place to try it) - no job, under 50 and not married to thai. I was however supporting several kids (born in Thailand), absolute no probs with financials (and could prove it) plus owned an expensive condo in Thailand plus kids DNA evidence plus lived with thai for years blah blah. They flatly refused even though Bangkok immigration had told me it was ok. No marriage cert - no non immigrant visa.

Subsequently got legally married and went back - she didnt even look at the other docs - all she wanted to see was the marriage cert and I got the non immigrant visa in five minutes. I wouldnt be so certain that Brisbane is any different - why would the rules vary so much from one developed country to another?

If you have evidence of the fatherhood of a Thai child almost any Mission would give the visa ( Singapore an exception ?) I'd wager that Brisbane would issue one to a person in that position. An early retiree on medical grounds would be ok for the same visa for medical treatment. Send an email to Brisbane and ask

www.thaiconsulate.org

I attempted same in Singapore (which I know wasnt smartest place to try it) - no job, under 50 and not married to thai.  I was however supporting several kids (born in Thailand), absolute no probs with financials (and could prove it) plus owned an expensive condo in Thailand plus kids DNA evidence plus lived with thai for years blah blah. They flatly refused even though Bangkok immigration had told me it was ok. No marriage cert - no non immigrant visa. 

Subsequently got legally married and went back - she didnt even look at the other docs - all she wanted to see was the marriage cert and I got the non immigrant visa in five minutes.  I wouldnt be so certain that Brisbane is any different - why would the rules vary so much from one developed country to another?

If you have evidence of the fatherhood of a Thai child almost any Mission would give the visa ( Singapore an exception ?) I'd wager that Brisbane would issue one to a person in that position. An early retiree on medical grounds would be ok for the same visa for medical treatment. Send an email to Brisbane and ask

www.thaiconsulate.org

All I can say is it happened to me. Picture the scene at the Thai Embassy in Singapore - my thai lady 'arguing' the case with the Embassy via mobile but Immigration in Bangkok could not over rule the Embassy they said. So back I go on my tourist visa. On the plus side Singapore is open till the wee hours so wasnt a wasted journey entirely.

Thai embassy in Singapore I later discovered has a reputation for being 'difficult'.

Let us know Odin how u get on but advice to email first is sound.

By the way I had also applied for a non immigrant on the basis of supporting thai family but not married basis at the Thai Embassy in the UK a year before (with DNA evidence etc) and was knocked back there also with the classic comment 'anyone can make a baby'.

By the way I had also applied for a non immigrant on the basis of supporting thai family but not married basis at the Thai Embassy in the UK a year before (with DNA evidence etc) and was knocked back there also with the classic comment 'anyone can make a baby'.

Is your name on the birth certificate ?

Yes and also have a DNA from Bumrungrad Hospital with my name confirming I am the Father which I produced plus title deeds and financial evidence. He wasnt doubting I was the Father (!) just my right to a non-immigrant visa because I spose (?) he viewed it as lacking committment.

Now as a married man of course i get the red carpet treatment.

I am therefore sceptical of anyone (including immigration at Bangkok) claiming that it is possible to achieve a non-immigrant for someone without a work permit, under 50 and not married (other than from a mickey-mouse Embassy). Or maybe I picked the wrong day and the wrong bureaucrat?

Yes and also have a DNA from Bumrungrad Hospital with my name confirming I am the Father which I produced plus title deeds and financial evidence. He wasnt doubting I was the Father (!) just my right to a non-immigrant visa because I spose (?) he viewed it as lacking committment.

Now as a married man of course i get the red carpet treatment.

I am therefore sceptical of anyone (including immigration at Bangkok) claiming that it is possible to achieve a non-immigrant for someone without a work permit, under 50 and not married (other than from a mickey-mouse Embassy). Or maybe I picked the wrong day and the wrong bureaucrat?

If you are providing financial help for Thai children it is valid...wrong day...or he denied it coz of the no marriage thing wwhich may have been contrary to his philosophy. A micey mouse embassy visa is still very valid.