Best Suv

thaipod

Last week I was looking at a new Chev trailblazer which my wife told her father and he does not like the idea of us buying a large 4WD and driving into the wilderness with his grandson and suggested we buy a SUV and told us to let him know which one we want and he will pay for it ( around the 1.5 mil mark ) .

What is the best SUV . I like the Chevolet Captiva , he thinks the Toyota and Honda SUV is better for resale and service and parts ,. any suggestions appreciated.

I had a Fortuner and Chevrolet pick up. The Chevrolet had really cheap materials that quickly degraded. Within 2 years it looked ten years old inside and out. Engine and mechanicals perfectly fine though.

The Fortuner looked as good at 4 years old as it did new and of course it had Toyota quality for the mechanicals.

The only negative with the Fortuner was that the huge cabin space was hard to cool with aircon.

When I sold the Fortuner it was snapped up straight away. Incredible interest. The Chevvy pick up there wasn't nearly the interest

Skoda Yeti

Little issue would be that in the 'wilderness' there is not much service centers for Skoda, nor is the YETI 4WD, which would surely be an advantage in those conditions.

There is no Toyota SUV mainstream model in the price range quoted.

Honda CR-V of course is available....if you like it.

If my father in law would give me 1.5 to spend on a SUV or similar I guess I would get the new Subaru XV (good ground clearance, good specs, good drive and Subaru well has a decent reputation for reliability.) 1.35m is all it takes.

Craptiva...oops, pardon me, Captiva....is probably one of the only ones left with 4WD in that price range.

The Captiva leads the sub-2M Baht crossover segment by a decent margin - if that's anything to go by... I find it very difficult to get overly excited about any of the current offerings available though.

The highlights in the segment will be the new Mazda CX-5 and Ford Escape (Kuga?) due around mid-year. If you're not in a rush, save yourself some buyers remorse and wait, IMHO ;)

There is no best SUV, it depends on what you want it for and where you drive it but there is a world of difference between the Trailblazer and Captiva you mentioned in your post - have you test-driven either? The Trailblazer is a body-on-frame construction, like the Fortuner and Pajero Sport, manufacturers do this to lower excise tax by basing their SUV on a pick-up chassis at the expense of handling and comfort. The Captiva is, I think, a unibody which offers much more comfort, better road handling and less noise and vibration. The new Trailblazer tries to address this with 6-speed auto, better suspension and door seals, but there remains a gulf of difference - you'll see when you test-drive them; obviously choose the Captiva if you plan on mostly road-driving. If you are concerned about depreciation then Chevrolet isn't your brand; Toyota and Honda retain significantly more value in Thailand.

From the reports that I have had the 2.4 petrol engine in the Captiva is not a particularly good unit and struggles with the weight of the car. The better option would be the diesel which I think is an improvement over the previous unit but my suspicion (I could be wrong) is that the diesel Captiva is beyond 1.5 million baht? The up side of the Captiva is that I think it is the only one in this range of SUVs with a 7 seat option if that is needed.

From the reports that I have had the 2.4 petrol engine in the Captiva is not a particularly good unit and struggles with the weight of the car. The better option would be the diesel which I think is an improvement over the previous unit but my suspicion (I could be wrong) is that the diesel Captiva is beyond 1.5 million baht? The up side of the Captiva is that I think it is the only one in this range of SUVs with a 7 seat option if that is needed.

2013 Diesel starts at 1.4 million....... top LTZ model 1.7 million..

Still that little thing..........

The Daewoo Winstorm will also be available under the Chevrolet badge as the Chevrolet Captiva.

I had a Fortuner and Chevrolet pick up. The Chevrolet had really cheap materials that quickly degraded. Within 2 years it looked ten years old inside and out. Engine and mechanicals perfectly fine though.

The Fortuner looked as good at 4 years old as it did new and of course it had Toyota quality for the mechanicals.

The only negative with the Fortuner was that the huge cabin space was hard to cool with aircon.

When I sold the Fortuner it was snapped up straight away. Incredible interest. The Chevvy pick up there wasn't nearly the interest

You can't lose with a Fortuner. I bought mine 2nd hand 4 years ago for 750k. I am pretty sure I can sell it for 750k tomorrow.

Last week I was looking at a new Chev trailblazer which my wife told her father and he does not like the idea of us buying a large 4WD and driving into the wilderness with his grandson and suggested we buy a SUV and told us to let him know which one we want and he will pay for it ( around the 1.5 mil mark ) .

What is the best SUV . I like the Chevolet Captiva , he thinks the Toyota and Honda SUV is better for resale and service and parts ,. any suggestions appreciated.

make sure you like the driver seat comfort... That seems to bother me on my Chevy Colo with exact same seats.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect App

If your Thai father-in-law is paying; I think it would be wise to go for a safe choice. Fortuna is a tried and tested design, they are robust, hold their values and there's a huge dealer/service network. Anything else has more risk - so you should really only take such a risk if it's your own money.

Just my view. I had a Fortuna for 3 years - no problems at all. I'm waiting for the new Ford Ranger based SUV ..... but it's more of a gamble than the safe choice of another Fortuna..

• 2 weeks later...

I am looking at the 2013 Mitsu Pajero Sport 4x2 as a safe a reliable family car. The price for the top 4x2 model (2.5l diesel) is 1.2M. It has the back seats that fold down to hold 7 pax comfortably.

Does anyone have any experience on how reliable these vehicles truly are and how much typical repair costs (spare parts) compare to the Honda and Toyota SUV's?

Also, does Mitsu hold it's value in Thailand? I know that Thais love the Honda's and Toyota's so they always hold their value better but where does the Mitsu Pajero fit into the lineup?

I am looking at the 2013 Mitsu Pajero Sport 4x2 as a safe a reliable family car. The price for the top 4x2 model (2.5l diesel) is 1.2M. It has the back seats that fold down to hold 7 pax comfortably.

Does anyone have any experience on how reliable these vehicles truly are and how much typical repair costs (spare parts) compare to the Honda and Toyota SUV's?

Also, does Mitsu hold it's value in Thailand? I know that Thais love the Honda's and Toyota's so they always hold their value better but where does the Mitsu Pajero fit into the lineup?

It's a choice of Fortuner or Mitsu Pajero for size price 'resale value Toyota best' Just look through post's on this sight and how many Toyota problem's will you find very few, Pajero many so now your down to one Toyota they win's hand's down. Edited by fredob43

It's a choice of Fortuner or Mitsu Pajero for size price 'resale value Toyota best' Just look through post's on this sight and how many Toyota problem's will you find very few, Pajero many so now your down to one Toyota they win's hand's down.

I don't think so....PJS is a a good choice,good engine...maybe not that great resale,but...not bad after all wink.png

It's a choice of Fortuner or Mitsu Pajero for size price 'resale value Toyota best' Just look through post's on this sight and how many Toyota problem's will you find very few, Pajero many so now your down to one Toyota they win's hand's down.

I don't think so....PJS is a a good choice,good engine...maybe not that great resale,but...not bad after all wink.png

The engine's not bad if you can put up with it's rattle's. I think an oxymoron has occurred (not good resale value) I rest my case. Toyota.

The PJS is significantly cheaper than the Fortuner, has a more powerful engine, lots of standard kit and a better, more practical seating configuration. It's probably the best value PPV at the moment although a new replacement model is on its way next year. The resale value is rather good.

For the last 10 months I have had both a Pajero Sport 2wdGT and a Fortuner, one as my personal vehicle and one as a work vehicle. I have to say that I much prefer being in the PJS. Yes the Fortuner has a quieter and smoother engine, but really that is the only advantage and I find once the PJS has warmed up engine noise is not an issue. Ride and handling are much the same, transmission is literally the same unit, braking similar enough, but the PJS wins hand down on interior quality and fittings, seating flexibility, and in particular with the 2WD model in value for money.

Both hold their value very well, just have a look at the second hand prices if you have any doubts. For either option buying second hand doesn't make sense as the prices are too close to the new prices.

• Like 1

We have 2011 4WD versions of the PJS and Fortuner and both are fine if you want a pickup based 7 seater. Like Eaustev I slightly prefer the PJS but that is just a personal preference. Really these two are very close. The Fortuner engine is quieter and has less turbo lag so is a little better to drive in town but the PJS has a nicer interior. The PJS is better value when buying new, even more so when Toyota are so stingy with discounts or freebies.

Fuel and service costs have been very similar for our vehicles. We can't fault the reliability of either vehicle as there have been no problems outside normal servicing. These are both mature models so should not have any bugs. I don't put much faith in Toyota's marketing so I doubt there will be any significant difference in reliability but time will tell...

• Like 1

• 6 years later...

If you don't want to drive a bus, the Mazda CX-5 is probably your only choice.   Mazda ratings nowadays are top notch.   We've had a Mazda 2 for three years, no problems, great gas mileage etc.   CX-5 is probably the right size for Grandpa and you can get a very nice one for about 1.4 MB if you don't go to the top trims.  Anything else you are looking at either big $$ and/or a huge vehicle.

12 minutes ago, TGIR said:

If you don't want to drive a bus, the Mazda CX-5 is probably your only choice.   Mazda ratings nowadays are top notch.   We've had a Mazda 2 for three years, no problems, great gas mileage etc.   CX-5 is probably the right size for Grandpa and you can get a very nice one for about 1.4 MB if you don't go to the top trims.  Anything else you are looking at either big $$ and/or a huge vehicle.

Mazda has continously improved with each new update to their lineup through the past decade, especially since their breakup with Ford (and Ford did the opposite to the point where they go back to focus on trucks). Very interesting development.

The new Mazda 3 (with their new engine type?) should be coming to Thailand in the next couple of months and reviews have been very good so far. I hope they also update the CX-5 in a timely manner accordingly. But we might be 2 years or so away from that.