Is It Worth Buying A Laptop In Lamai?

finy

Or will I just get ripped off?

I'll be going to KL in a few weeks anyway, but my latop literally breaks down 20x per day now so if it's only going to cost me an extra £50-100 I'd probably lose money by not buying it.

I know there's a computer shop in Tesco, but will they be any good?

Cheers

Would i buy a laptop again in Thailand? NO WAY. i purchased an acer for 27,00bt from a major outlet in Bangkok only to find out later to find out later the windows operating system was a copy and would not validate, 2 years without updates and a lot of problems later I replaced it with a sony vaio which i bought for £450 in the UK 3 YEARS LATER AND STILL LAPTOP BLISS.

if you have to buy in Asia validate your copy of windows before leaving the shop, and buy from a computer shop not a supermarket.

Would i buy a laptop again in Thailand? NO WAY. i purchased an acer for 27,00bt from a major outlet in Bangkok only to find out later to find out later the windows operating system was a copy and would not validate, 2 years without updates and a lot of problems later I replaced it with a sony vaio which i bought for £450 in the UK 3 YEARS LATER AND STILL LAPTOP BLISS.

if you have to buy in Asia validate your copy of windows before leaving the shop, and buy from a computer shop not a supermarket.

LOL the price is cheaper here cause windows license is not paid, you just had to buy a genuine windows and enter the license key to fix your issue.

• Like 2

I too have bought quite a number of laptops/desktops in Samui over the years. I take them straight to a shop that sells legal copies of Windows and pay them to install it. (Or I buy the PC from that shop in the first place!)

All of my PC's have legal software that is up to date and no major issues except for the very rare trojan/virus.

Edited by Tropicalevo

When you buy the legal disk of Windoze, you get the disk... several shops sell them here... JIB, Banana IT (which is the shop mentioned at Tesco Mall Lamai.) Supot Electric, Even Tesco's sell the genuine disks... separately so you need to have that installed and make sure to keep the disk... (or install yourself) .... or you can download direct from Microsoft.

They are only good for one computer not multiple installs ...

From my looking around in KL/ Malaysia, I don't think you'll find a huge price difference... plus piracy in Malaysia is just as bad as it is here... So again, if you buy down there buy and have the Windoze disk in hand... . or switch to Mac!!!!

I agree with Rooo, Invadit.com might be a way to do this... too...thumbsup.gif

When you buy the legal disk of Windoze, you get the disk... several shops sell them here... JIB, Banana IT (which is the shop mentioned at Tesco Mall Lamai.) Supot Electric, Even Tesco's sell the genuine disks... separately so you need to have that installed and make sure to keep the disk... (or install yourself) .... or you can download direct from Microsoft.

They are only good for one computer not multiple installs ...

From my looking around in KL/ Malaysia, I don't think you'll find a huge price difference... plus piracy in Malaysia is just as bad as it is here... So again, if you buy down there buy and have the Windoze disk in hand... . or switch to Mac!!!!

I agree with Rooo, Invadit.com might be a way to do this... too...thumbsup.gif

Where do you get Windoze? Is that a new operating system or sort of flatulence medicine ? Just asking cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Been known as Windoze for years..... where have you been??? tongue.pngcheesy.gif

Where do you get Windoze? Is that a new operating system or sort of flatulence medicine ? Just asking cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Been known as Windoze for years..... where have you been??? tongue.pngcheesy.gif

Jimmy - I have been in the IT industry from 1968 to 1999 - never heard it called that - but then again, I am a Brit and I used to work with the bigger IBM stuff.

Windoze - It's a cracker clap2.gif

To the OP - if you buy it in KL - where will you get it fixed under warrenty? International warrenties are as rare as rocking horse <deleted> here in Thailand.

Buy it on the island - get it fixed on the island. whistling.gif

• Like 2

I bought a Dell Trop, one year on site warranty. Believe me I tested it, they do come out to your house.They even ship the parts overnight.

I must admit - never bought a dell. Asus, Acer, HP lots of 'own brands' - warrenty - what's that?

Acer, I bought it in Singapore - took it to Bangkok when I lived there. No chance..This was a long time ago though.

LOL the price is cheaper here cause windows license is not paid, you just had to buy a genuine windows and enter the license key to fix your issue.

The Sony laptop from the uk was cheaper than the Acer in Thailand

I just got one from Banana IT. It's nice to have a laptop again that won't cut out at any minute.

Original windows?

Yeah, it was the only one in the shop that had windows installed. You need to pay 5K to get Windows 8 if you buy a comp without it.

i have herd that they have built in vurtual brains which makes them in predictable a bit like humans. they might just get up a leave all night come back drubkk with no explanation. if you lap top is behaving bad then u need to see a specalist

or may be i need to see one biggrin.png

Or don't install update KB971033 (win 7)