Kuala Lumpur Visa Report.

I was past due to get my new Non O m Visa. (Based on Marriage)

Double checked the latest using Thai Visa reports.

Again decided to go to Kuala Lumpur for their ease and Direct fligths from Chiang Mai

Booked flights about 2 weeks in advance for AirAsia (7000 Bt round trip)

Booked the Hotel the day prior, had trouble with internet, not hotel's fault (and I'm no techy !)

Arrived at the Chiang Mai Airport 1 hr 30 min early.

Used the machine to check in. Only had carry on luggage

When we got to Security was told to go back down stairs for a stamp on my ticket. Was one of about 100 people turned back, Seems if you check in on line, or with their machine to save time, you still need to stand in line so what is the point ? Waited in line 30 minutes, Got the red stamp "International"

Checking out of Thailand and Passport control was quick and painless. Have a line to get a Re-entry Permit but did not need one (Never do) Boarding was the usual free for all mess. And the seat was very tight for a 2:45 minute flght. Flight was nearly full. Arrived early and this is where the fun starts.

Before Passport inspection there is money exchange. They paid 8.98 for the Thai baht Passed but wish I had not. Passport control had no line and many open window (Why can't Thailand be like this ?)

Walked down stairs to arrival area. 2 more Money Exchangers they paid 8.08 Wish I used the other. As a note. Only change enough to have a little pocket change and for a taxi into the city. I suggest 1000 or 2000 Bt unless you get there very late. Before you exit there are a few Taxi booths. You tell them where your going, how many people, and bags. Depending, price starts from about R60 (600 Bt) To my hotel, 2 people, and what they said was 1 bag though we never had them touch my wife's little bag R75 (750 Bt.) No games, no extra, The Flight arrived just after lunch time, 1:00 p.m. and knowing it is about 1 hour drive to town we ate at the airport, Many choices at about the same cost of Thailand.

Taxi took us straight there and talked good English to answer any questions.

The roads are very orderly and hardly any traffic

I again wonder why Bangkok or Chiang Mai couldn't be more like this ?

If your Phone is on it will work and suck down your load fast (Money credit)

Check in at the Trader hotel had a little bump. Even though I checked with my bank that my credit card would work fine, it did not (though everywhere else in town it did OK) If you can afford it, Stay at the Trader Hotel in a room with a Tower view, A splurge on my budget but worth double what I paid.

First day was rest and relax day. A walk in the park, Window shopping at the Mall and a stop at the bank where exchage was 9.8 (Hotel offed same)

View of the twin towers at night is incredible (I am on the 31st floor)

Embassy is a short taxi ride away or long walk but doable if you know where your going.

The gate opens about 9:00 Embassy doors open to get a "Q" number at 9:20 or there about.

Wait by the entry door for an early "Q" I did not but the wait was under 30 minutes

4 windows open and worked fast

I was all ready (and my wife was with me) Told her we were on our honey moon !

When my number was called, easy to hear or see on the screen.

I first handed over the form given me at the gate

I also gave my passport

Copy of Marriage Papers

Copy of house book (returned to me)

Copy of wife"s ID and passport

Letter from my wife in Thai (returned to me)

Letter from my bank (SCB) that I had 100,000 Bt. (Brought my bank book but was never asked)

R550 (5500 Bt) Must be in Malaysian currency No exceptions Have exact change

In all it was just minutes at the window and was never asked anything, Was handed a slip to get my Multi Entry Non-O m Visa tomorrow between 2:30 - 4:30 no waiting

So today I will relax and enjoy a few days here on my Honeymoon

post-131287-0-52464200-1357705884_thumb.

Edited by JeffreyMcCollum
  • Like 1

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a note, I have found a huge 20% difference in exchange rate from place to place so be careful. Thailand they are all really close to the same.

Off to china town to look around

Don't miss the Museum of Islamic Art/Islamic Art Museum, it is great.

Thanks for the update, I'll be along there in another couple months,

Last time we stayed in apartments across from the Thai consul which were nice, 2400 from agoda, and walking down past the consul and walk across the overpass to the opposite side of the roadbthere's a nice resteraunt there, can't remember it's name but it was decked out to look like a train station, food ok there too if I remember

• Like 1

7000+5500+6000/night. 1900 at the local Immi.

It's their "honeymoon" smile.png

Thanks for the post Jeffrey. The downside is that you need to spend 3 nights you in KL. Unless, of course you are having a holiday. I prefer to take my holiday in UK, visit family & pick up a new visa.

Last time we stayed in apartments across from the Thai consul which were nice, 2400 from agoda, and walking down past the consul and walk across the overpass to the opposite side of the roadbthere's a nice resteraunt there, can't remember it's name but it was decked out to look like a train station, food ok there too if I remember

Stayed at the Victoria Inn your talking about last time. It is OK and all the food choices here are nice. I even noticed a "Wendy's" here today

Thumbs up for Agoda. Used the website when we were in Phuket last year -- everywhere we stayed. Saved a fortune and ended up with quite a few member points that haven't been used yet.

Not sure what is 1900 at the local Immigration. Clearly not a 15 month care free visa

Oh I think headaches are 1900 Bt and last a week

Maybe I missed your answer...... do you leave Thailand within your "15 month care free visa" period more than once?

MSPain

Not sure what is 1900 at the local Immigration. Clearly not a 15 month care free visa

Oh I think headaches are 1900 Bt and last a week

15 month care free think not - have to leave Thailand every 90 days to keep it alive.

Extension in Thailand report every 90 days to the local office, the only problem for some is the money required for getting the extension.

But costs - border runs every 90 days ball park figure 1000baht per time plus, 90 day reporting at Immigration cost of a taxi or songtaew.

Okay then if leaving Thailand a person on an extension will require a re-entry permit.

• Like 1

Thanks for the report Jeff

I am wondering as I am not experienced in visa's

But I have the same type as you I guess? 1 Year based on Marriage Non Imm O

When done as you have I see your seasoned money is only 100k vs 400k

That could be a benefit for some but not important for others.

But I want to ask with your visa do you need to leave Thailand 4 times a year

instead of doing 90 day reports?

EDIT: Oh I see others asking & answering? the same question I had

If it is true you Have To leave then I would not be interested in that version of visa.

Of course I may want to leave if I want but I do not want to Have to.

If it is just a matter of not dealing with Immigration 8000 baht a year or so would do it

with a visa service.

Edited by mania

Not 100% true, as would be Immigration 1.900 + 3,800 baht..so you can come and go as you please.. + you need 400k in the Bank in your name only....

Many that go and get this type of Visa like to spend a few days away, + plan another 4 trips out of Thailand on that Visa activating there next 90 days.. Friends that have this type of Visa rarely do all in a day boarder run.. often going to a boarder town for a few days and pop across for there next 90 days.... They see some of Thailand as they must go out every 90 days, more than one has visited every boarder crossing in Thailand, which they said they would never have gone to if they had a yearly Extension from Immigration.

Immigration costs in Thailand 1900 for extension, easy to do by yourself.

How many extensions can you get on a non-imm O visa? And how long are the extensions?

Unlimited as long as you are still eligible, valid for 1 year per time

How many extensions can you get on a non-imm O visa? And how long are the extensions?

I've always had non-imm O visas, and the longest extension i could get here was one month. Can you explain how this "unlimited" thing is done please?

I've always had non-imm O visas, and the longest extension i could get here was one month. Can you explain how this "unlimited" thing is done please?

I think maybe there was a confusion between extensions & re-entry permits?

Edited by mania

Not 100% true, as would be Immigration 1.900 + 3,800 baht..so you can come and go as you please.. + you need 400k in the Bank in your name only....

Many that go and get this type of Visa like to spend a few days away, + plan another 4 trips out of Thailand on that Visa activating there next 90 days.. Friends that have this type of Visa rarely do all in a day boarder run.. often going to a boarder town for a few days and pop across for there next 90 days.... They see some of Thailand as they must go out every 90 days, more than one has visited every boarder crossing in Thailand, which they said they would never have gone to if they had a yearly Extension from Immigration.

Yes but I think the rub is you Have To leave vs you can leave if you Want To

Price wise it is 7k (per person to fly cnx to malaysia) + 6k ( per night) + 5500 fee + cost of each trip you Have to take every 90 days

Could be 20k+ or 30k+ if your taking someone with you on the trips.

Adds up no?

I think if I really wanted no part of Immigration I would do this with visa service

1000 per year they do all the 90 days for you

5000 per year they do your extension

1900 per year extension fee

Total 7900 baht

If you want a re-entry add 3800

Still cheaper & easier

The 400k in the bank should be a non issue because if you don't have that your living close to the trigger point of

perhaps needing to go to your home country for safety's sake