If I Cannot 500 Baht Departure Tax...

lambous

This happened to a mate of mine the first time he went, and they refused o let him through without paying, so he had to run around begging off farang for the 500 baht.

Mmmmmmm that could be a good scam!!! go round asking departing farang for a spare couple of hundred baht, i reckon you could make a few thou everyday. I wonder if you would need a work permit? I reckon bit of tea money in the right hands and you could coin it in :o:D

This happened to a mate of mine the first time he went, and they refused o let him through without paying, so he had to run around begging off farang for the 500 baht.

Mmmmmmm that could be a good scam!!! go round asking departing farang for a spare couple of hundred baht, i reckon you could make a few thou everyday. I wonder if you would need a work permit? I reckon bit of tea money in the right hands and you could coin it in :o:D

Not a bad scam indeed!!! :D

:D:D:D That one made me laugh out loud, Daleyboy! Choice!

There was a situation actually when some dude (not a young kid who got carried way backpacking, but a 40 yr old plus guy) had been on holiday here, done every penny of his cash and had none left for the airport tax and asked my gf to pay it for him.

She didn't do it because to be fair, 500 baht was about a day and a bit wages for her and she come home pretty upset about asking if she'd done the right thing to not give him the cash.

I told her if the guy has come out here, spent every penny of his cash, had no credit cards/ATM cards/bank funds then its its own fault for not taking some personal responsibilty. I mean, when he arrived back in Heathrow, how did he expect to get back to his home if he didn't have any money?

The guy had been on holiday to Samui and I'd say its a pretty fair guess to say he blew all his money on booze and women down there, why the <deleted> should she pay for him? :o

That was a 'call the embassy, your missing your flight tonight sir' situation. :D

Had this problem on my 1st trip, back in '93.

Showed up at the airport 12 hours early (had the departure mixed up). Spent my remaining baht while lounging around.

When it was time to check-in, got to the counter and saw the sign for the fee (250 baht back then). Back then, you paid at the check-in counter. I had 35 baht in my pocket. The girl at the counter told me to talk to the airline office, which was closed of course (being midnight at the time).

Some German Medics that had been in Cambodia (part of a UN mine-clearance team) had the same problem. As it was a Lufthansa flight, the co-pilot paid their departure tax. I showed him my UN I.D. card, but I wasn't German so he wouldn't help me.

The only cash I had left was Hungarian Forints and Croatian Dinars (back then it was dinars, now it's kroners or something). Anyways, couldn't exchange any of it for baht.

Went through security again and up to the check-in counter. When I started talking to the girl again, a businessman behind me offered to pay the tax for me, just to speed things up. I offered to pay him back as soon as we hit Frankfurt, he said forget it.

Soon as I got to Frankfurt, I was able to exchange the Hungarian currency. Ran around the airport for an hour looking for that guy, but he was gone.

The thing that upset me the most was there was no sign anywhere mentioning the departure tax, until you had gone through the first security check and approached the check-in counter.

Lesson learned. Check out if the airport in question has a departure tax. Even the almighty "International" airport in Kabul has a departure tax (50 Afghanis or $1.00 US !!)

Had this problem on my 1st trip, back in '93.

Showed up at the airport 12 hours early (had the departure mixed up). Spent my remaining baht while lounging around.

When it was time to check-in, got to the counter and saw the sign for the fee (250 baht back then). Back then, you paid at the check-in counter. I had 35 baht in my pocket. The girl at the counter told me to talk to the airline office, which was closed of course (being midnight at the time).

Some German Medics that had been in Cambodia (part of a UN mine-clearance team) had the same problem. As it was a Lufthansa flight, the co-pilot paid their departure tax. I showed him my UN I.D. card, but I wasn't German so he wouldn't help me.

The only cash I had left was Hungarian Forints and Croatian Dinars (back then it was dinars, now it's kroners or something). Anyways, couldn't exchange any of it for baht.

Went through security again and up to the check-in counter. When I started talking to the girl again, a businessman behind me offered to pay the tax for me, just to speed things up. I offered to pay him back as soon as we hit Frankfurt, he said forget it.

Soon as I got to Frankfurt, I was able to exchange the Hungarian currency. Ran around the airport for an hour looking for that guy, but he was gone.

The thing that upset me the most was there was no sign anywhere mentioning the departure tax, until you had gone through the first security check and approached the check-in counter.

Lesson learned. Check out if the airport in question has a departure tax. Even the almighty "International" airport in Kabul has a departure tax (50 Afghanis or $1.00 US !!)

Might be easier to find out which countries don't have a departure tax. :o

:D:D:D That one made me laugh out loud, Daleyboy! Choice!

I may of even been "scammed" :D

(Might of mentioned this one on the forum before so soz in advance if you've already heard it).

Standing outside having a cig before checking in at Terminal 2, some Aussie bird walks up to me, half in tears, explains that she's lost her purse and all her cards, wants to sell me her ring for 500 baht to pay the airport tax.

Took a quick look at her, seemed sincere enough, told her not to worry about it and gave her the 500 baht.

She said thanks, gave me a hug (seemed like she was about to break down), then ran off back inside the airport.

If it was an act, I felt like I been talking to the next Sharon Stone - all was convincing enough :D

Might be easier to find out which countries don't have a departure tax. :o

Guess, the list would be too long. Although, most airports do charge it is included in theticket price.

I am thinking of European airports like LHR, FRA, AMS a.s.o.

That's also a reason why many first time travelers just do not know that in Asia lots of airorts want to see cash.

A good bit of advice I read once, was that as soon as you get into Thailand take the first bt 500 note you get and stick it in your passport, and leave it there... so when the time comes to leave you have your departure tax fee ready and waiting ! :o

totster :D

A good bit of advice I read once, was that as soon as you get into Thailand take the first bt 500 note you get and stick it in your passport, and leave it there... so when the time comes to leave you have your departure tax fee ready and waiting ! :o

totster :D

That's what I did, too.