Where To Go In May?

hUsh

My friend and I are thinking of going down to the islands in May. We'd like to go to:

a. Phuket --- Khao Lak and diving/snorkelling at Similan Islands -- then perhaps go to Krabi, too

OR

b. Samui -- Koh Phangan and Koh Tao for diving/snorkelling.

I'm just worried about the weather in May. We're thinking of going down on there on May 10th or so. I also have some concerns about khao Lak and Similan Islands. I've been there before, but early April and before the tsunami. Has anybody been there lately? How is it in Khao Lak and the diving conditions in Similan? How's Krabi in May?

I've also been to Samui, but not Koh Phangan and Koh Tao. Is it better to dive in Koh Tao than Similan? Also how's the weather there in May?

I would appreciate all answers and any insights (suggestions on where to go and better ones) about these so I could plan the trip ahead. Thanks in advance.

Hush,

I have never dived near Koh Tao but I hear that the diving there & at Ang Thong marine national park is excellent.

I have visited Samui in June and can confirm that although hot, the sea conditions are ideal for diving / snorkelling. Also, you will get amazing rates on accomodation as this is off season, july gets expensive again due to european school holidays.

have fun!

You have to watch the weather carefully because May is a transition month when the northeast trade winds give way to the southwest monsoon. If the trade winds are blowing, go to the Similans. If the monsoon has started go to Koh Tao.

What happens weather-wise is that the inter-tropical convergence zone slowly moves north as the wet season approaches. The trade winds are kept north of the zone and the monsoon south of it.