When The Haze Going To Hit ?

driedmango

It's okay now, typical dry season weather. (You get a combination of morning fog, humidity and haze that limits views in the mornings, but shouldn't cause health issues.)

It's anyone's guess how good or bad this year will be, but based on daily measurements over the past decade, you should be okay until mid February. (In many years the whole month of February is reasonable).

But, the earlier the better. Also temperature wise and generally, January is one of the very best months to visit Chiang Mai. (And early Feb is not too far behind)

• Like 2

It's okay now, typical dry season weather. (You get a combination of morning fog, humidity and haze that limits views in the mornings, but shouldn't cause health issues.)

It's anyone's guess how good or bad this year will be, but based on daily measurements over the past decade, you should be okay until mid February. (In many years the whole month of February is reasonable).

But, the earlier the better. Also temperature wise and generally, January is one of the very best months to visit Chiang Mai. (And early Feb is not too far behind)

IMO, December and January are the best months of the year. thumbsup.gif

• Like 2

Stayed near Inthanon Tues/ Wed. Tuesday evening the mountain appeared to be on fire and the following day the smoke was still rising in many places and even though only 10km from the summit you could only just see the outline of Thailand's biggest peak.

That's not haze,it's smog!

• Like 1

I guess most have heard how bad China is at the moment, pollution off the scale and very limited visability. As long as bureaucrats are making money there or here they couldn't care less, we'll get the usual press releases and huffing and puffing when it does and nothing will change...ever.

• Like 2

I hope the people in China making the mess have to live and work there and suffer with the average person.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Thaivisa Connect App

China may be part of the problem but take a look around a little closer to home. They are burning leaves, grass and rubbish like it's going out of fashion. Composting is in "the too hard basket" for them. Like most things that involve a little thought and some work.

• Like 1

Although traffic fumes (as some put it) might be a factor for discomfort, it seems the burning season has started rather early this year.

See the pinned topic by Tywais on this forum for more details on this:

http://www.thaivisa....i/#entry6027967

Burning season started at the usual time. After the rice harvest in early December. Not sure why folk seem to think it normally starts later.

Burning season started at the usual time. After the rice harvest in early December. Not sure why folk seem to think it normally starts later.

Two different (but related) things. Burning starts not too long after the end of the rainy season, but region-wide haze/smog becomes an issue in March (or late Feb, when unlucky.) (Of course 'becomes an issue' depends on the person.. for some it's not an issue even in March, others start complaining before January is even out.)

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

How could anyone consider such pollution not an issue. Even if your healthy this causes symptoms and could ruin you lungs for life. The air is more than 30x safe limits set buy world health. So bad you should even consider doing active work outside. Some people think it is a fog.. They don't notice it until you tell them and then they see why eyes burning runny nose hard to breath

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Thaivisa Connect App

The air is more than 30x safe limits set buy world health.

WHO PM 10 recommendation is 50 for a 24 hour mean.

So you're saying CM PM 10 is over 1500??

He said other things too, but I stopped paying attention when I read this. rolleyes.gif

(The daily numbers are of course all available, for over 10 years back.)

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai
  • Like 1