“Tourist” Recommendations?

KelCastro

We’re going to be visiting Chiang Mai with family for a little over a week soon. We’re really interested in outdoor activities (hiking, zip-line, etc.) and we’ve done a little research regarding activities, but there seems to be a lot of tourist traps. Having lived here for 2 yrs, we just don’t want to deal with that (too much), so any advice on the best options is really appreciated.

Also, I’m assuming that direct reservations with companies are best? And if you are familiar, can you name the specific company you did “adventures” with? For example, I see that there are 2 zip-line companies (that do 2 different “tours” each), so we’d like to know which is best.

Any other suggestions are very much appreciated! smile.png

The Mae Sa valley area has a little bit of everything. There is the X-Center, Eagle Track zip line (the "gold" course is simply longer if you like zipping around and have the time). Both are well managed facilities. You can hike any path you find as the area is quite safe. Or just head up and over to the hot springs over at Pong Kwao in north Samoeng and then finish with a few beers atop the mountain at Mon Chaem or Mon In Dao (less expensive). You can also hike up to the Rock Tower from Mon Chaem as there is little traffic on weekdays although the view is now rather disappointing with a vista of plastic sheeting covered vegetables as far as the eye can see.

This topic has just been done. Use the search function.

http://www.thaivisa....-we-miss-in-cm/

That’s not exactly the information I’m looking for.

You have probably just overlooked some good advice, no matter how abrupt it may have been. If members have already responded to this type of request, they may not feel like repeating themselves. Give DN's suggestion a try and search the previous advice given. I suspect that you may be pleasantly surprised.

What have you got to lose? You'll probably find a lot of information far quicker than waiting for posts herein....and after your response to DN, you may have put some folk off from helping you.

Good luck, and I hope you find lots of ideas so that you can enjoy your time in and around CM.

Wikitravel is always a good start for an overview: CM page.

I believe Treetop Asia run the Gibbon (Scroll down to 'Do'). Seems a bit steep though.

Rainforest canopy walk

• Flight of the Gibbon (Zipline Adventure Tour), ☎ +66 53 010660 ([email protected]), [36]. Zipline through the 1,500 year old rainforest high above the forest floor. 5 km of ziplines connect lookout platforms, lowering stations, and sky bridges, making the experience a full zipline canopy tour. After the tour you can hike up alongside the Mae Kompong Waterfall. Allow 7 hours total for the tour from pickup to drop off. Earliest collection time 05:30. ~3,299 baht.

If you have your own vehicle (it's not hard to find), you could visit Crazy Horse Buttress/SK Hotsprings after and then loop back around through San Kamphaeng. I'd also go with Jodpa's suggestion of heading up the Mae Sa Valley towards Samoeng. You can just nip in these places without having to pay for some all-encompassing tour.

Wikitravel is always a good start for an overview: CM page.

I believe Treetop Asia run the Gibbon (Scroll down to 'Do'). Seems a bit steep though.

Rainforest canopy walk

• Flight of the Gibbon (Zipline Adventure Tour), ☎ +66 53 010660 ([email protected]), [36]. Zipline through the 1,500 year old rainforest high above the forest floor. 5 km of ziplines connect lookout platforms, lowering stations, and sky bridges, making the experience a full zipline canopy tour. After the tour you can hike up alongside the Mae Kompong Waterfall. Allow 7 hours total for the tour from pickup to drop off. Earliest collection time 05:30. ~3,299 baht.

If you have your own vehicle (it's not hard to find), you could visit Crazy Horse Buttress/SK Hotsprings after and then loop back around through San Kamphaeng. I'd also go with Jodpa's suggestion of heading up the Mae Sa Valley towards Samoeng. You can just nip in these places without having to pay for some all-encompassing tour.

Flight of the Gibbon and two wheel giro vehicles (segways?) down across the street from Chiang Mai Gate are both run by an Australian company.