Polish Woman Killed By Speed Boat Propellers At Jomtien Beach

webfact

This really is a horrible, horrible way to die. For her sake, I hope it was quick, and for her family I feel very deeply. I can't imagine what her husband is going though. Losing a wife is awful, but knowing the tragic way she died is something he will live with for the rest of his life.

I rarely go into the sea, full of slimy sticky, pointy, bitey things, but sometimes I paddle. Everywhere in the world where I have paddled, there have been flags telling me not to paddle in this particular spot. Nobody has to tell me, it's automatic; flags, don't go in. People in the boats would probably (hopefully) know what the buoys are and what they mean. The rest of us have no idea, and if there are no flags, it must be safe.

They don't cost that much money, surely it would be worth spending the money to save lives.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is not an easy thing to get 'sucked' into a propeller.. the prop is pushing water away from it in a forward gear. You could be sucked in from the back of the boat only if it was reversing, in which case the driver should have been looking aft to see where he was going.

Very strange.

unless you are under the boat then it is quite possible

It is not an easy thing to get 'sucked' into a propeller.. the prop is pushing water away from it in a forward gear. You could be sucked in from the back of the boat only if it was reversing, in which case the driver should have been looking aft to see where he was going.

Very strange.

Exactly! I really don't understand how brainwashed some people on this forum are to straight away believe the reports of Thai media based on version of events told by the person whose vessel killed her. We haven't heard the other side of this story because dead people don't talk! But the Polish media is plainly reporting this incident as "she was struck by a motor boat". Nothing about swimming close or even under the boat while a good skipper was lowering his gear that resulted in her "being sucked into a propeller". Hey, nobody wants to die and I'm sure she was not an idiot and wouldn't swim near the propeller of the departing boat. Her only fault was that she came here believing glossy brochures and all the hype about Pattaya -being an "international resort". RIP.

The Australian Government, and many others, try googling, have warnings about Thailand and many other countries stating that standards etc are not what you might expect in your home country and TO BE AWARE of this. RIP to the good lady and condolences to her husband and family.

Especially sad as the deceased was my compatriot. sad.png

A talented life cut short by an unqualified idiot with his hand on a powerful throttle lever. I don't suppose he will ever give her a second thought.

At most he will give a packet of noodles to a monk and the slate's wiped clean.

Surely he will feel remorse for the rest of his life.