Taxes For Teachers

frond

Howdy

It's that time of year when one must file taxes. When I first started my present job I was told that my tax per month is 3500 baht. Salary: 43,500. Take home: 40,000. I told them I thought the amount was too much, but they insisted that I'd be getting a nice refund come April/May. A week ago I asked what was happening with my tax return--I hadn't been asked to sign anything, in fact I realized that they didn't even have my tax number (after 9 months employment!). Their reply "oh, we pay your tax." Mai khao jai, krop! How can they be paying my taxes? So...to make a long story short they've given the job of sorting this out to the inept director (not the accountant...imagine that!). He informed me today that I'd be getting a return of.....1000 baht! Huh?

I smell something very very fishy. When it comes to taxes Thai employers seem to have little games going.

A lot of Thai work places handle the tax for their employees. They usually do it properly, because they can't hide from the government. Did they help you fill in your initial tax forms? They might have gotten your tax number that way, because otherwise they can't pay your tax.

3500 a month actually doesn't sound that far off at your salary level for the proper tax, but you should consult an accountant if you're that suspicious. Good luck!

"Steven"

Hmmm...I used to make 42,000 baht/month (different company) and my tax was 1,400 baht/month.

They didn't help fill in any tax form--they never asked me for a tax number until 3 days ago.

They seem strangely stressed about it all and are rushing about trying to get everyone's pasport #s and tax #s. Methinks something fishy is happening.

I'll figure out my tax on my own and see if the numbers match. Thanks "Steven."

No probl, Frond. You should be at something less than 5% tax, which works out on my calculator for the salary you state.

It *could* be fishy... but on the other hand, all the last minute running around like chickens with heads cut off is just business as usual in many Thai schools. I'd be reeeeally slow to accuse anyone there of foul play... though you might hint that the disorganisation is something less than professional (however, it will make you no friends and will probably not improve anything).

"Steven"

MP me if you want a xel personal withholding tax calculator- I could not atatch it for some reason. You just put in your income and it works out howmuch tax you should be paying.

43,000 you shoudl pay 2925 per moth 35,100 per year

It is better to be over taxed than have to pay an extra amount at the end of the year. As happend to me once - can we have 13000 please?

You will need a tax card which is all in Thai. It's best to have a Thai family member or friend accompany you to the tax office as many folks who work there speak little if any English. I just went with my wife today and now we're waiting for my tax return. The tax office will either transfer the money to our account or they will mail a check like they did in the States.

I'm in the same salary range, but married, and I pay about 2300 per month. It's true that many employers pay taxes for their employees, but if they do, the tax returns will go to them rather than to you! If they're honest, they will give you the tax return when it comes - I think in April.

I have my tax receipts, but I had to have a big fight with my employers before they would let me keep the originals.

• 1 year later...

So is there a general rule of thumb for the percentage of salary that is taken out for taxes? Does it depend on the income bracket?? My school has an accountant, but I want to make sure I get all of the info I can so that I make sure I'm not getting screwed.....some international schools here post on their websites that 10-20% is taken out for local taxes....is that true??? Does anyone have an idea of what percentage is taken out for 100K or higher per month????

Thanks!!!!!!!!

There cannot be a general rule of thumb as a percentage of the gross wage. Like most countries with progressive income taxation on salaries (such as the USA), the amount withheld increases, percentagewise, depending on the net amount of earned income that's not deductible or excludible.

We'll try to locate the government website URL that shows the rates and exclusions. Also, many employees are subject to social security taxes on their gross wages, up to a limit.

• 1 year later...
MP me if you want a xel personal withholding tax calculator- I could not atatch it for some reason. You just put in your income and it works out howmuch tax you should be paying.

43,000 you shoudl pay 2925 per moth 35,100 per year

It is better to be over taxed than have to pay an extra amount at the end of the year. As happend to me once - can we have 13000 please?

HI! A 'Personal Tax Calculator' sounds wonderful! Infact, any information that clearly states what the tax rate is! Currently, I work for one place where my monthly salary is 70K and I am being taxed 10% each month. I also lecturer a couple of times a month at another institute; receive about 10K and am taxed 3%. This is all very new to me and I have to admit, despite HR kindly giving me several explanatory documents, all written in THAI!! I am still none the wiser!! This is my first time on this site, unsure how it works, but hopefully, either person with the 'tax calculator' or any other teacher who knows what is going on, I do truely look forward to your reply!! TIA!