Tuk Tuk Legal Problems

talahtnut

Hi Folks, Would anyone have any advice on buying and registering aTuk Tuk from another Changwat. As you may see from my profile pic I drive a 'Mercedes Convertible' at the moment but would like to upgrade to a Tuk Tuk. Many thanks for reading this post.

Hi.

Might be better to stay with the Mercedes, I was in the Motor Vehicles registry recently near the regents School where a ferang was trying to get a driving licence for a Tuk Tuk, no luck I'm afraid, his Thai wife tried everything including tea money, licence options here in Pattaya are it seems quite limited. You would probably be a target for the local plod.

Regards BW

I wanted to buy a tuk tuk for my Thai wife who wanted one as safer than a motorbike. Thai family member said the local police frown upon locals owning tuk tuk's, for some reason actively discouraged in Pattaya.

I seem to recall that the problem is that Tuk Tuks always are registered as taxi's (yellow license plate), and as such foreigners are not allowed to drive them.

Sent from my GT-I9001 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

But what would be the position if you want to purchase an electric powered tuk tuk in the interests of contributing towards a greener environment?

If the local licensing authorities refused to give you permission to drive one of these you could enlist the support of one of over 100 climate change advocacy groups?

Surely the licensing authorities would want the negative publicity of refusing someone the right to drive a more environmentally friendly vehicle?

Edited by Asiantravel

The licensing laws are a bit eccentric, to say the least. I mostly use a samlor (a Honda Click with a thai-style sidecar attached) to get around locally as it's cheaper, more fun and more convenient than driving the car. A few years back I was stopped on Jomtien Beach Road by a senior cop, not the ordinary traffic police. He wrote me a ticket which he said was because my tax didn't cover the sidecar, and I should pay the fine at soi 9 and then go to the land transport place to pay the proper tax. I was confused when I was fined at soi 9 fro having an illegal modification to my motorbike, nothing to do with the tax.

So I asked some Thai friends who drive samlors and they looked aghast, and told me that you cannot tax a samlor, only the motorbike. So I then asked the Thai manager of the condo where I lived what the situation is? She spent an hour or so on the phone and eventually spoke to the Chief Engineer at the Chonburi Motor Vehicle Department. He confirmed that you cannot tax a samlor in this changwat - UNLESS, that is, it uses a Tiger motorbike, in which case it's perfectly OK. How weird is that?

I've never had a problem with the cops since, so although it seems that the guy was quite correct to fine me, it was a clear case of farang bashing, because as always there were dozens of others samlor driven by Thais plying their trade along Jomtien Beach Road, it was only the one driven by a farang that got screwed. Oh well, I just put it down to the oddities that you sometimes have to put up with living here. I didn't think I was in Kansas any more, after all!

My understanding, is that the side car is completely illegal, so of course it cant be taxed. They just happened to pick you, on that day, and im sure they stop many Thai's also, but for a farang to be driving one, that is like a flashing red light. In Kansas, every side car would be taxed, or they would be forbidden, here, its more like, which side of the bed did the police wake up on.

Iam surprised there is an actual licence to drive a tuk tuk.

Yeah me too. Especially since a policeman friend told me that a motorcycle license covers 2 and 3 wheeled vehicles.

Now registering tuk tuks, vehicles with side carts, samlors and other three wheeled motor vehicles are another problem. Tuk tuks are and samlors are banned in many Amphurs. With some, the registration can't be renewed. Motorcycles that have been modified to have have a side car are considered illegal modifications.

Yeah I know you see a lot of them, but they aren't registered. Only the motorcycle can be registered, with the sidecar removed. The police often turn a blind eye, but sometimes they stop the drivers. Recently, it seems more common to see one stopped around Pattaya. I have one. It's not registered and can't be. The Thai person that drives it, tells me that he's being stopped more frequently. They usually let him continue on, after a talk with him.

Last year I wanted to get a tuk tuk. But after looking into the registration issues, I decided against it. Tuk tuks are not made anymore, just refurbished. It seems a shame as it's such a useful vehicle. On the other hand, Samlors are made in Udorn Thani. But I'm not sure about registration issues in other Chang Wats or Amphurs.

Edited by BB1950