Applying Western Initiative In The Thai Workplace - Does It Work?

Shoeboat

Back in the west I always found persistence and initiative to be seen by potential employers as good traits and this often landed me the job I was looking for and in many cases have never had to apply via the usual route of resume/cover letter etc...

However, is it seen as a good thing here? I always find that I never really, truly know where I stand with Thai people. I've done some work for a Thai media company here and was paid upfront last year, and they are happy with what I have done. I would like to push for more work but don't want to unknowingly piss them off or be seen as a pest.

I initially also had this fear in the west and didn't need to, however things are done differently here. I'm seeking more work from a Thai company I have already done work for and want to be seen as keen and motivated. They area modern and westernized bunch of Thais so perhaps it is okay to show the same gumption I would back home, or perhaps not. What do you think?

Did you form any personal, social relationships with anyone at this company? Otherwise, you are probably a faceless farang (we all look the same to them) cadging for work. However, if you had lunches or after-work beers with some of the staff and have their mobile numbers (and they have yours), there's a better chance of being remembered as the guy who did good work. Thailand isn't any different in that sometimes a personal recommendation or recollection may precede the need to advertise for a position or a job that needs doing.

The content of the OP and my response addresses a job-seeking point of view. However, the title of the OP would suggest concerns about showing workplace initiative AFTER gaining employment? I can't comment in that regard but would think that making sure that nobody loses face when you inevitably upstage a local co-worker would just be another part of the 9-5 drama in LOS.

Edited by NanLaew

Thanks for the reply. Yes initially I knew them on a social level, and it's work that only a native English speaker can do so I'm not treading on any local toes.

I rarely meet up with them these days, although I do see some of their outer circle and they invited me to that carabao concert last August.