Do Many Foreign Women Retire To Thailand?

tc101

I have been reading lots of posts here for the last few days. It just hit me that I can't think of a single one from a woman. It seems like lots of men retire to Thailand. Obviously one of the big attractions is the Thai women. Is that really the main reason so many guys retire there? Are there any women on this message board from the UK or USA or anywhere else who have retired to Thailand?

The percentage is of course a lot lower, but there are a few women members on this board that stay here full time (SBK, Khall), whether they retire here or not in the future I don't know, I expect they'll be along tomorrow to tell you.

Not that any of them are even near retirement age of course! :o

I have been reading lots of posts here for the last few days. It just hit me that I can't think of a single one from a woman. It seems like lots of men retire to Thailand. Obviously one of the big attractions is the Thai women. Is that really the main reason so many guys retire there? Are there any women on this message board from the UK or USA or anywhere else who have retired to Thailand?

I went to a meeting of the Chiang Mai expats group and there were 6 older women who I assumed were retired or at least staying long term.

I think the big attraction is low cost living. For example, I have a one bedroom apartment and I think that is adequate as do my friends who live here or whom I entertain. My kitchen is on the balcony and we get by with one bathroom quite well even when we have people staying over for the night or a couple of days. In Farang land I would never be able to get by on less than three bedrooms, a complete kitchen, dining room and two bathrooms.

I know quite a few women here who have taken early retirement, or have packed up to start a business over here, all but one of these women are with their western husband and there are a fair few of people around like this.

Like Skylar said, the The TV board doesn't reflect the farang population in Thailand. And im sure very few of these people would be regular posters here.

I would eventually like to retire here, but thats a long way off yet - wow, ive got to get through university yet!!!

The percentage is of course a lot lower, but there are a few women members on this board that stay here full time (SBK, Khall), whether they retire here or not in the future I don't know, I expect they'll be along tomorrow to tell you.

Not that any of them are even near retirement age of course! :D

Cheers for that bkkmadness! :o

Check out the Ladies forum, most of the women active there are living in Thailand. Don't know any that are retirement age but imagine a few of us will be here when we get older. My husband and I are childless so I don't see returning to the US but who knows what the future will hold? I've got a few more years before I have to worry about that :D

Generally women don't retire to Thailand unless they are married, insane or a missionaries.

Be scared of the evangelicals... I know more than one person who has learnt Thai for the specific purpose of becoming a missionary in Thailand :o

Generally women don't retire to Thailand unless they are married, insane or a missionaries.

Be careful, you are opening the door to the examination of the mindset of men who retire to Thailand.

That might not be a good ideas as I doubt very much that the glowing personal reports we read here are the whole story.

Be careful, you are opening the door to the examination of the mindset of men who retire to Thailand.

That might not be a good ideas as I doubt very much that the glowing personal reports we read here are the whole story.

Hmm, skeletons in your cupboard, GH? :o:D

over the years i've met a couple of aussie women who've come here alone to start businesses and generally make a pretty good living for themselves. i've also met a single english woman representing her UK firm in the asia pacific and she chooses to base herself in thailand instead of singapore or hong kong. they all seem content to settle here for the long term.

i'm sure they're all too busy to be surfing the t.v. forum., unlike us.

As I am not retired in Thailand and will not be for a long time to come - No, no skeletons.

But I was a volunteer hospital visitor in Pattaya for a number of years and that opened my eyes to a few truths about the 'Glory of Retirement in Thailand'.

Here on TV we here what seems only to be the good news, the bad news is pretty awful sometimes, perhaps more times than we might want to believe.

As I am not retired in Thailand and will not be for a long time to come - No, no skeletons.

But I was a volunteer hospital visitor in Pattaya for a number of years and that opened my eyes to a few truths about the 'Glory of Retirement in Thailand'.

Here on TV we here what seems only to be the good news, the bad news is pretty awful sometimes, perhaps more times than we might want to believe.

I was obviously only kidding about skeletons. :o

I have never heard of a volunteer hospital visitor scheme in Pattaya: it sounds interesting.

I take it that this concerns only Government hospitals?

Would you be prepared to give us more info on the scheme and perhaps share some experiences?