Thai Driving Licence

simon43

Hi, I have been using my IDL ever since I came to Thailand in 2002. Never had any problems but I really ought to get a Thai driving licence!

Where is the office in Phuket that I need to visit to get this licence? I have a non-imm B visa, but no proof of my residence (as yet). Do I need to get this proof of residence from the UK embassy in BKK? (I don't work so have no WP). What about the UK Consulate in Phuket? Or can I get this document from Immigration in Phuket (where is their office and what documents would they require to issue this proof of residence?).

I rent a house in Nai Yang but the landlord and I have never signed any rental contract - just both very laid back about it :o This might make it difficult to provide proof of residence.

Or should I just go to the driving licence office with a big smile??

Thanks

Simon

You are going to need a proof of residence ie. a copy of your rental contract. You then need to go to Immigration in Phuket Town with this to get the official proof of residence. This is a free service from immigration.

OK, to get to the government office that deals with driving licenses:-

I'll start from the Clock Tower round-a-bout in Phuket Town.

From the round-a-bout, take the road as if you were going to immigration.

At the first set of traffic lights, turn right (if you turn left, it would take you to Robinson's).

At the next set of lights, turn left so that you are driving on the right hand side of a canal.

At the next set of lights, the building you want is straight across and is the first building on the right.

Take a Thai with you as there are umpteen queues and you need to be in the correct one.

PM me if you need any further help.

Be sure to take a valid international drivers license with you. Otherwise you will have to take the written and driving test. Like I did! PITA! :o I failed the first driving test due to an inaccurate translation of a detail of the test. They can be sticklers if they want to. Farking bureaucrats are the same all over the world!