New Car Or Old?

Neeranam

Guys, I need some of your experience and knowledge.

I'm having a lot of car trouble recently but I got an offer for my old car today, which I'm going to take.

I need a car very quickly. I have to travel about 300 km a week for work. I'm thinking of buying a Mitsibushi Triton, although I've yet to test drive one. The reason for this is the small down payment required. I don't like pick-ups particularly but due to the cost it makes sense, and buying new seems to make sense too as I plan to live in Thailand for the next few years. ALso, pick-ups are more economical(petrol/diesel), is that right?

I don't know a lot about cars, but realise that a lot of posters here do.

I can only afford about 7 thousand a year payment, but I heard that Mitsu. did a long term thing.

If anyone knows about any promotions or good deals, anything about Mitsubishi,

Advice is much appreciated :o

> The reason for this is the small down payment required. I don't like

> pick-ups particularly but due to the cost it makes sense, and buying new

> seems to make sense too as I plan to live in Thailand for the next few

> years. ALso, pick-ups are more economical(petrol/diesel), is that right?

True, and they also hold their value very well. They last what seems like forever. The extra-cab (mega-cab, etc, ) models seem to depreciate the slowest.

Keep in mind however that the new Mitsubishi is one of the thirstiest models out there. Toyota Vigo 2.5 D4D would be a good choice with fuel economy in mind. And the Isuzu/Chevrolet of course.

I wouldn't be afraid to buy a late model second hand pickup. Criteria would be to buy it from a farang and to make sure it has the service records with it. It is also best if it is still under warranty. There are normally several for sale in the free classifieds.

And yes, they are great on fuel economy.

I brought myself a new motor 2 months ago and was in the same predicament, car or truck, well i weighed up the pros and cons and in the end chose the Isuzu Hi lander cab 4, very comfortable good driving position, quiet good on fuel and Isuzu do good long term plans.

If you buy a second hand motor they are soo expensive, you really dont know what they have been through.

I am over the moon with my truck bearing in mind i have never had a truck b 4. Dont think i would switch back well not in Thailand ne way.

Choice is yours

Mike :o

> Criteria would be to buy it from a farang and to make

> sure it has the service records with it.

LOL, buy from a farang... :o I personally don't believe at all that Westerners would take better care of a car, especially not the ones I know... :D For sure when you get to the bottom end where you get shoestring Thai farmers trying to keep something running they tend to cut corners on maintenance, but general middle class Thais?? They take care of their cars better than they take care of themselves!!

Buy from a farang not because they take better care of it but because the vehicle is generally paid for and many time they are heading back to their home country. You generally can also get a better price from a farang. In any case if the vehicle is still under warranty and the service records are up to date there is not much that could be wrong with the vehicle. About all you have to look carefully at is if it has been in an accident.

> Criteria would be to buy it from a farang and to make

> sure it has the service records with it.

LOL, buy from a farang... :o I personally don't believe at all that Westerners would take better care of a car, especially not the ones I know... :D For sure when you get to the bottom end where you get shoestring Thai farmers trying to keep something running they tend to cut corners on maintenance, but general middle class Thais?? They take care of their cars better than they take care of themselves!!

When I lived in rural AK the rule of thumb was never buy a snowmobile from a native.

After 2 and 1/2 years in Phuket I've observed that Thai people generally take very good care of their vehicles. Thai people seem to respect money and seem to recognize the value of taking care of their vehicles. You don't see much beat junk on the roads here.

They also seems very status conscious and like to show off their new vehicles. There seems to be a good supply of late model used cars and trucks around.

I've bought 2 used vehicles (thai owned) without any major hitches.

Late model toyota cars and trucks are very tough. A used corolla or PU is hard to go wrong with.

I'd stay away from Mitsubishi vehicle as the don't really compare in quality to the toyota or isuzu.

If you can afford new got for a new one. The new d4d engine in the toyotas is superior. But the earlier models are very good as well.

Look over a used vehicle well before you buy. Try to have a mechanic recommended from a thai friend whom you can use to inspect the vehicle if you have zero automobile savvy.

I was in town the other day and noticed (well my wife read the sign) that Ford was doing deals on the pick-up probably as the new one is due out soon, either 0% finance or nothing down. They are'nt the best IMHO but they'll do the job, might depriciate a bit initially when the new modle comes out but it you intend tokeep it a while then no probs. I've had cars and pick-ups here and IMO cars are more suited to "town" while pick-ups are the "country kings".

RC