Helicopter Crash In London - Two Confirmed Dead

cdnvic

What was it doing flying in that fog is what I wonder.

One heli pilot told Sky that normally it would have been higher, and perhaps the conditions suddenly appearing forced the pilot to reduce his altitude to see visual references.

On a forum I moderate that is aviation related. one of our members posted his girlfriend was sat in a train at Vauxhall Bridge station and saw it come down. MI6 HQ is quite close by

Edited by Mosha

Two dead - including pilot - and nine injured as helicopter hits crane on new tower beside Thames and plunges into rush-hour traffic

• Helicopter hit crane at top of The Tower St George Wharf in central London today and cartwheeled before exploding
  • Struck ground 20 yards from Vauxhall station and area is being evacuated because of precarious position of crane
  • Two people died and at least nine injured - one critically - in crash involving helicopter flying to Elstree, Hertfordshire
  • Plume of smoke visible at 8am with bystanders saying weather was bad and you could 'hardly see top of building'
  • Eyewitnesses saw 'a flash and helicopter plunged to the ground' and said 'people were screaming after it crashed'
  • London Fire Brigade: Eight fire engines and four fire rescue units and around 88 firefighters plus officers attended
  • Air Accidents Investigation Branch begins investigation to establish if proper procedures were followed by pilot
  • London's Counter Terrorism Command confirms there is 'nothing to suggest any terrorism link' at this stage

Read more: http://www.dailymail...l#ixzz2I8gDVSbl

Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Edited by Boater

"Investigating to see if proper procedures were followed by pilot" Do helicopters usually fly or try to land in dense fog ?

Not usually, but sometimes a pilot can be caught out by unexpected fog or lowering cloud whilst en-route to a destination and is forced to find a suitable landing area (unless he has an Instrument Rating and can climb into the cloud).

Whilst we are all sad about the loss of life, let us be thankful that London has a lot of very lucky people alive and well today.

A crane driver who was late for work for the first time in years.

A lorry driver who was held back by traffic lights and who knows how many more.

That it didn't hit the supermarket or train approach etc.

Two dead and one critically injured plus a few others with minor injuries.

Oh wow, just how much worse could it have been.

RIP the two dead and get well soon to the injured.

Condolences to their families and friends.

"Investigating to see if proper procedures were followed by pilot" Do helicopters usually fly or try to land in dense fog ?

Latest speculation on BBC is that he may have been diverting to Battersea heliport, due to the fog bank that had suddenly moved in. He would normally have followed the Thames, but may have veered off course a little. Also there are suggestions that local residents had been complaining about inadequate warning lights on the crane, but how effective these might have been in daylight fog is open to conjecture.

Whilst we are all sad about the loss of life, let us be thankful that London has a lot of very lucky people alive and well today.

More likely a crane driver that has never been caught for being late for the first time in years!!

Not making light of the situation however and as you have said it could have been a lot, lot worse.

Personally, in those conditions I don't think I would have been going up in a helicopter unless it was an emergency anyway!!

Hmmm, my thought was that Gatwick to Elstree goes nowhere near the crash site.

He was actually flying from Redhill heliport, which is about 6 miles north of Gatwick.

Redhill or Gatwick, by road you'd take the M25 round London; but in the air? A straight line from either to Elstree takes you over this part of London.

Also

The pilot had asked to be diverted to a nearby heliport because of bad weather......

........A spokesman for London Heliport at Battersea said the pilot had requested to divert and land there due to bad weather.

(Source)

Pure speculation on my part, but he was probably heading for the river so he could approach Battersea heliport, which is on the river bank, when he hit the crane.

Very sad for the victims and their families. My condolences to them all.

I have flown that route many times. Without wishing to pre-empt the official report, I'd suggest he was diverting to Battersea and was caught out by the fog, a badly lit crane, a slight deviation from the heli-lane and a need to come lower to maintain visual contact with the ground.

The pilot has been named as Captain Pete Barnes.

From the BBC

He had amassed 12,000 flying hours in a varied career which included working on films such as Saving Private Ryan and for the Great North Air Ambulance......

........In 2004, Mr Barnes was part of a rescue operation which saved a man who was trapped in his car when trying to cross a swollen river in County Durham.

The Teesside air ambulance, piloted by Mr Barnes, hovered above the car and the driver was helped to safety.

At the time he told the BBC: "I got the skid of the helicopter on to the roof of the car.

"The paramedic got out and helped the man on to the roof. Then I managed to land right on the roof so they could both climb inside."

_65330866_40450577.jpg

Thaivisa News Team

• photo-11415.png?_r=1334524484

Posted Today, 09:03

London helicopter crash kills at least 2 < br />

2013-01-17 09:03:56 GMT+7 (ICT)

LONDON (BNO NEWS) -- At least two people were confirmed dead after a helicopter crashed in London on Wednesday, officials said.

The helicopter, which was traveling from Redhill in Surrey to Elstree in Hertfordshire, crashed at around 8 a.m. local time against a crane on top of the Tower on St George Wharf, located at a residential block in central London. The 185-meter (607-feet) high building is still under construction and is expected to be finished later in the year. The St George Wharf is located in the London Borough of Lambeth, just south of the River Thames beside Vauxhall Bridge.

The aircraft came crashing down into Wandsworth Road and struck a number vehicles, triggering a large fire which caught on nearby buildings as well. Two people were confirmed dead while at least nine others were also injured.

Metropolitan Police Service Commissioner Sir Bernard Hogan-Howe confirmed the number of deaths, stating that one of the two was the pilot, while the second's identity remained unconfirmed. Speaking to the London Assembly, he also said no passengers were believed to be onboard the aircraft.

Local media outlets identified the pilot as Pete Barnes, although his name was not officially disclosed. Previously, Metropolitan Police Commander Neil Basu said it was 'a miracle' that the number of victims in the accident was not larger.

According to an official from the London Heliport Battersea, prior to the crash, the pilot of the aircraft had requested a divert and land, as bad weather was affecting the flight. At the time of the crash, weather reports said low clouds were present but not thick fog.

Meanwhile, England's Air Accidents Investigation Branch launched investigations into the accident, which could take several months.

thaivisa-news.png

-- thaivisa.com © BNO News All rights reserved 2013-01-17

footer_n.gif

More likely a crane driver that has never been caught for being late for the first time in years!!

Not making light of the situation however and as you have said it could have been a lot, lot worse.

Personally, in those conditions I don't think I would have been going up in a helicopter unless it was an emergency anyway!!

What amazing conjecture and why the need to make it?

The area was clear of fog at 07:40 according to reports and it came on them suddenly and without warning.

Go watch Bambi.

Quote "If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all"

• Like 1

What amazing conjecture and why the need to make it?

The area was clear of fog at 07:40 according to reports and it came on them suddenly and without warning.

Go watch Bambi.

Quote "If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all"

Touchy!

I really can't be arsed getting into a slanging match, like I say, I weren't making light of it.

I really can't be arsed getting into a slanging match

Why make unnecessary, provocative remarks then?

The crane driver was late that morning, and that saved his life.

Unfortunately, the other fatality, Matthew Wood, was early for work. London helicopter crash: Matthew Wood was 'big-hearted guy'

As for the weather; it was clear when Capt. Barnes set off and the low cloud appeared suddenly and without warning, hence his request for an emergency divert to Battersea.

As I live close to what would have been his flight path, I do know what the weather was like that morning in that area. Also, any fool knows that meteorology is not an exact science and this type of sudden change can, and often does, happen.

Your remark "Personally, in those conditions I don't think I would have been going up in a helicopter unless it was an emergency anyway!!" merely shows your ignorance of the conditions at the time.

Considering how busy the area is at that time of the morning, not just with road traffic heading to and from Vauxhall Bridge but also pedestrians going to and from Vauxhall bus, tube and main line stations, it is a miracle that causalities were so light.

Edited by 7by7